ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 215 of 221
« First < 115165205211212213214215 216217218219 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:02 AM 01-01-2022

Shine bright like a diamond 💎

With the successful deployment of our right sunshield mid-boom, or “arm,” Webb’s sunshield has now taken on its diamond shape in space. Next up: tensioning the 5 sunshield layers! https://t.co/6G2caS1djY #UnfoldTheUniverse pic.twitter.com/q0iuHdnKlN

— NASA Webb Telescope (@NASAWebb) January 1, 2022

[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:01 PM 01-01-2022
Watched it go by Haley's Comet this am

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:09 AM 01-02-2022
It's Happening!!!

Welcome to the Robot Apocalypse
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:00 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Watched it go by Haley's Comet this am

It just passed Landsat 9. I didn't realize those were that far out.

Edit: They aren't, so I guess I wasn't looking at live data. Landsat 9 Orbit: near-polar, sun-synchronous at an altitude of 438 miles (705 km)
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:03 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
It's Happening!!!

Welcome to the Robot Apocalypse
The facial expression when it "discovers" its hand is a little contrived. The whole thing seems orchestrated and not a result of any AI...but still creepy as hell.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:33 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
The facial expression when it "discovers" its hand is a little contrived. The whole thing seems orchestrated and not a result of any AI...but still creepy as hell.
Sure that's what they want you to think
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:51 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
It just passed Landsat 9. I didn't realize those were that far out.

Edit: They aren't, so I guess I wasn't looking at live data. Landsat 9 Orbit: near-polar, sun-synchronous at an altitude of 438 miles (705 km)
This doesn't have to go that far from earth to do its job. You'd think this needs to travel for years to get in position. But, it doesn't. Watched a you tube by Tyson explaining why.

In the billions and billions of planets out there, there has to be at least one where intelligent beings has evolved. There is a good chance they are not going to be cute little E.T.'s. We would be a threat. If they have something we need, we'd go to war to get it if we thought we had a chance to win. Disclaimer..... If we haven't evolved into a Star Trek type of society where the pursuit of money isn't the motivator for most humans.
[Reply]
njchiefs 09:26 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Carnivores have lower levels of depression and anxiety. Suck it, Vegans!

People who eat meat experience lower levels of depression and anxiety compared to vegans

Researchers found a significant association between meat consumption/abstention and the incidence of depression and anxiety, with individuals who consumed meat having lower average depression and anxiety levels than meat abstainers. Crucially, they found that the difference in depression and anxiety levels was greater in high-quality studies compared to low-quality studies.

[...]
This is really misleading, suggesting that eating meat will make you less anxious. These waste of time “meta analysis” can’t demonstrate causality and typically don’t account for selection bias. The common sense conclusion is likely that more anxious/neurotic people choose a vegan diet because they obsess about all the health articles they read, and assume that going vegan will improve their health, yet it does nothing to reduce their anxiety/neurosis.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:51 AM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This doesn't have to go that far from earth to do its job. You'd think this needs to travel for years to get in position. But, it doesn't. Watched a you tube by Tyson explaining why.

In the billions and billions of planets out there, there has to be at least one where intelligent beings has evolved. There is a good chance they are not going to be cute little E.T.'s. We would be a threat. If they have something we need, we'd go to war to get it if we thought we had a chance to win. Disclaimer..... If we haven't evolved into a Star Trek type of society where the pursuit of money isn't the motivator for most humans.

[Reply]
listopencil 12:38 PM 01-04-2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnYO...RehabandRevive

[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:55 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by njchiefs:
This is really misleading, suggesting that eating meat will make you less anxious. These waste of time “meta analysis” can’t demonstrate causality and typically don’t account for selection bias. The common sense conclusion is likely that more anxious/neurotic people choose a vegan diet because they obsess about all the health articles they read, and assume that going vegan will improve their health, yet it does nothing to reduce their anxiety/neurosis.
There was a study that came out and made the rounds on Facebook years back claiming that more intelligent folk tend to be night owls. I had an argument with a coworker who claimed she was really smart because she usually stayed up pretty late and that study, which I'm sure she didn't even read, was all the proof she needed.

These studies are interesting but there are a lot of factors to consider.
[Reply]
Fish 01:22 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by njchiefs:
Did you actually read it? Especially the end?

Originally Posted by :
Researchers, however, caution against imputing causal relationships between meat consumption/abstention and depression or anxiety (the data was insufficient to investigate causal relationships).

[Reply]
Fish 01:23 PM 01-04-2022
Spaghettification...

[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:59 PM 01-05-2022
It finished unfolding yesterday. Great day for science. Lets see what's out there.

James Webb Space Telescope extends secondary mirror https://t.co/RD0aAkrE9H

— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) January 5, 2022

[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:29 PM 01-16-2022
A little logistical imagery

[Reply]
Page 215 of 221
« First < 115165205211212213214215 216217218219 > Last »
Up