ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Duncan's Mock | 12.18.19
duncan_idaho 12:42 PM 12-18-2019
I don’t do this for football very often and won’t claim to be an expert on the NFL draft. I did try to read a few different sources when researching players and think about scheme fit in addition to need and availability draft position, but this is mostly just kicking around some ideas and having some fun.

1st (#32 – yeah, that’s right, I’m calling it):
Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
This comes down to opportunity for me. When it comes right down to it, the Chiefs have done well against the pass in 2019 with a cobbled-together CB group (and really just need to add an outside CB opposite Ward and some depth). Murray’s speed and versatility could upgrade the LB group as a whole and make the Chiefs much more effective in nickel and dime packages. Looking at LB available later in the draft, unless you’re a big believer in Troy Dye of Oregon (who is a physical freak and I think will test his way into the second round), it’s hard to find a guy who could reasonably project to play every down and be good in pass coverage. Year 1, he’s probably my WLB and one of 2 nickel backers.
-Alternatives: CB would also be a great move here (one of Shaun Wade – OSU, Paulson Adebo, Stanford, CJ Henderson, Florida, or Kristian Fulton, LSU would fit). If one of the top 2 centers - Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin or Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma – were available, it would be worth considering, too. Taking an OL here changes the shape of the draft a lot, IMO.

2nd (#59 – from 49ers):
Netane Muti, G, Fresno State
Muti has some of the best physical ability at G/C in this class. His technique needs refining, but you can teach that. Having a LG with his combo of strength and athleticism should be a major plus in pass pro and the run game, without hindering Reid’s love of moving his OL around in screens and designed rollouts.
-Alternatives: Darryl Williams from Miss. State would also be a consideration if going IOL here. He’s probably more ready Day 1 but has less upside. I like CB Jeff Gladney, TCU, in this range, too.

3rd (#96):
Cam Akers, RB, Florida State
There are a lot of guys likely to be available here that I like in KC’s offense. Akers’ ability to catch the ball and all-around package make him the best fit for me.
-Alternatives: Other RBs: J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State. Zack Moss, RB, Utah; Ke’Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt. If I’m confident one of these 4 is available at the end of the 4th round, I might be tempted to take an interior OL guy (better shot at one of them in the 4th, though).

4th (#128)
Zach Shackelford, C, Texas
First-team all-Big 12 this year. Decent size, pretty good mobility, good combo blocker. Has a good pass protection reputation. Downside would be, as a starter, he wouldn’t be likely to be much of an upgrade as a solo run blocker. Might not be ready Day 1 but could be a year 2/late year 1 upgrade.
-Alternatives: Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford. Big, athletic TE who would be a nice #2 option and has some upside as a receiver. Smart, athletic, should be safe and productive year 1. And I’m going to talk about him way less than the next guy: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri. Albert O has 1st-round physical ability – his size, speed, and ball skills are dynamite. He is injury prone and his OC his last two years didn’t seem to really understand how to use him (having a QB in 2019 who couldn’t read the field and refused to throw over the middle also hurt him). Also has poor blocking technique, despite having the frame to be a dynamite blocker, and needs to improve his route running. I wouldn’t stump for him here, but if you believe you can coach him up on the technical aspects, Okwuegbunam could be a weapon as a second TE and also an eventual heir apparent for Travis Kelce.

5th: (#160)
Lavert Hill, CB, Michigan
Versatile guy with the size to play outside and also the ability to play slot. In Spagnuolo’s defense, that versatility seems key.
-Alternatives: There are some WR I like in this range who I think fit the Chiefs scheme/needs: Joe Reed, Virginia and Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin. Each of them has good ability to separate, and has a little more size/effectiveness against man coverage than some of the Chiefs holdovers. Cephus was in a run-heavy offense but performed really well against Ohio State’s stable of strong CB in the Big Ten title game.

Closing thoughts:
If I’m Veach and I walk away from the draft this way, I feel like I’ve made major upgrades at LB and LG in rounds 1 and 2. Akers gives me a back with true 3-down potential (and at worst, an upgrade as my “receiving” back. My last two picks have some upside and provide quality depth, at least.

I’d be scouring the UDFA ranks for a WR that fits the parameters I’m talking about, though I could also hit FA for that need.

And I keep coming back to Okwuegbunam as a potential “Draft maker” when I look at other guys who might be around that spot. I see a lot of similarities to Kelce coming out of Cincinnati – physical gifts that far outshine his draft slot, some immaturity and injury and usage issues causing him to fall down the draft ranks.

Anyway, fire away at this. Changes/recommendations? What FA and other roster moves would you be looking to pair this with?
[Reply]
O.city 01:02 PM 12-18-2019
I dont' know that there's any way that Murray makes it to 32 with this LB'er class being what it is, but it's always possible.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:33 PM 12-18-2019
1) Thanks for finally being one to have a sack and pick KC to win it all.

2) I drafted Darryl Williams on Madden for us and he’s damn good there. Obviously doesn’t mean shit but it’d be cool to see that come to fruition in a successful way.
[Reply]
O.city 02:38 PM 12-18-2019
I like Kristian Fulton a lot. He'd make sense here.

It kinda sucks from a draft perspective being at the end of the rounds. You're just kind of picking off the bone a bit. Oh well, there are always good players around.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:51 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I like Kristian Fulton a lot. He'd make sense here.

It kinda sucks from a draft perspective being at the end of the rounds. You're just kind of picking off the bone a bit. Oh well, there are always good players around.
Fulton was my 'we need to take this guy in the 3rd' pick last season. All the talk was about Greedy Williams and whenever I watched LSU I was sitting there thinking "Hey, anyone notice this dude on the other side of him?"

And then he went back for his senior season and wrecked my best laid plans. Sadly, he's probably gonna be a bit too rich for our blood now.

I like Fulton a ton. He's gonna be a real good player.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:58 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I dont' know that there's any way that Murray makes it to 32 with this LB'er class being what it is, but it's always possible.

I looked at 4-5 mocks done in the past week, and he was going in the early second in all of them, so it seemed safe.

That may change as teams look at FA and the draft and realize the scarcity of players with that 3-down skill set.

Regardless, they should be able to address LB, CB, C, or LG in the draft.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 04:52 PM 12-18-2019
I don't know if Shack has the strength to hold up as an NFL starter. He's also injury prone and has weak ankles.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:14 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Fulton was my 'we need to take this guy in the 3rd' pick last season. All the talk was about Greedy Williams and whenever I watched LSU I was sitting there thinking "Hey, anyone notice this dude on the other side of him?"

And then he went back for his senior season and wrecked my best laid plans. Sadly, he's probably gonna be a bit too rich for our blood now.

I like Fulton a ton. He's gonna be a real good player.
Yeah, hard to go wrong with LSU DBs. Or Washington right now...

How do you feel about Albert O? I’ve thought he was going to be an NFL bust for about 18 months, but reading mocks this week made me question myself a bit there.

In the 4th/5th, if he really slid that far, the potential upside just seems like it’s worth the bust risk.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:29 AM 12-19-2019
I don't know enough about the individual players but I like your positional emphasis.

One guy I do know a bit about is Biadasz and I think he'd be Mahomes' guy for ten years plus. If he's there at #32 (thank you very much) I'd just do it and not have to worry about center for the next decade.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:02 AM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I don't know enough about the individual players but I like your positional emphasis.

One guy I do know a bit about is Biadasz and I think he'd be Mahomes' guy for ten years plus. If he's there at #32 (thank you very much) I'd just do it and not have to worry about center for the next decade.

I think the same could be said for either of the top 2 C.

I’d take Murray over him, I think, if both were available. LB with Murray’s skill sets are getting hard to find.
[Reply]
O.city 10:06 AM 12-19-2019
Yeah, I think you go with Murray just because of his skill set, but that kinda makes it hard for me to believe he'll actually be there. I just don't know that a guy like that sticks around that long. Look at Devin Bush.

If he's there, take him. If he's not, I'd say grab one of those C's and deal with the LB's later.

IF there was a way to come out of the first 2 rounds with Fulton and the C from OU, I'd consider that a win.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:35 AM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, hard to go wrong with LSU DBs. Or Washington right now...

How do you feel about Albert O? I’ve thought he was going to be an NFL bust for about 18 months, but reading mocks this week made me question myself a bit there.

In the 4th/5th, if he really slid that far, the potential upside just seems like it’s worth the bust risk.
In the 4th? Why not?

I was all about taking Hock last year because I think the potential of this team is nearly limitless with a true weapon at TE2 and Kelce isn't getting younger. Moreover, I think having the ability to spend 40-50% of the game in 12 personnel would significantly improve our run game as well. It's just damn hard to run from the shotgun if you can't set the edges (just too easy for the DE to defeat the angle) and having another TE in-line to help with that would help a lot.

But man, the maturity issues and what sure looked to be a loss of explosion due to the knee injury make me take pause taking him in the first 2 days. The guy I saw at Mizzou last year WASN'T any better than Blake Bell. He didn't look as strong or as fast. He damn sure didn't look engaged. His blocking was indifferent and his hands were ass.

I mean it's just impossible to know what you're working with at this point. And frankly, neither option is exceptional. Either he was jaking it in his platform season or injuries have sapped him of his high-end potential. Pick your poison...they both kinda suck.

I don't think I was as high on him as most were even last season. He was probably 5th on my TE list when others were saying he should be a 1st rounder but/for the injuries. I didn't quite see the athleticism that others did even before the knee.

It could be one of those situations that you don't realize happen until you do those CP Mock drafts - a guy sliding isn't because nobody likes him, it's because there's always another guy they like just a little bit more. And I could see that happening if I were in the Chiefs war room. I could literally see a situation where every round through round 5 I find myself saying "yeah, I like some things here...but I kinda like {player X}'s things more..."

There are just some flags there I'm struggling with.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:36 AM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

Oh sure, NOW you heathens come around.

I get savaged for taking a C for the Chiefs in round 1 of the CP Mock last year but now EVERYBODY wants to get on board with the 1st round fatty.

I see how it is...
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:17 PM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Oh sure, NOW you heathens come around.

I get savaged for taking a C for the Chiefs in round 1 of the CP Mock last year but now EVERYBODY wants to get on board with the 1st round fatty.

I see how it is...

Nothing more convincing than the eye test. Seeing how poor the interior ol play has been is proof positive.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:06 AM 12-20-2019
The more I watch Murray, the less I like him. He doesn't attack the LOS well enough for me. He's like a more athletic Hitchens. I'm not sure I want to spend a 1st round pick on a guy like that.

I like the rest, but not so sure you're getting Akers at the end of the 3rd round. I think top half of the 3rd is his floor so you'd be moving up or taking him at the end of the 2nd.

As for a TE, don't sleep on Brycen Hopkins. Kid is a stud. One really accurate source has him as late 3rd right now.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up