Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Amazon HQ2 to KC?
Schnitzel 08:19 AM 10-11-2017
http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...178220811.html

Discuss
[Reply]
Hamwallet 09:58 PM 10-11-2017
Before I left KC early this year I did a few field engineering research projects for Amazon. The higher ups I talked to seemed to like the area. Most of it was Kansas side.
[Reply]
Hamwallet 10:00 PM 10-11-2017
A lot of abandoned warehouses with office space. Why build a new campus when you can string together a shit load abandoned warehouses and office buildings for fractions.
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:17 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Airport doesn't have enough direct flights to the requisite places, no public transport, not enough desirable housing and there cities with cheaper commercial real estate.
This is the same problem Austin has, the airport is too small, the infrastructure is crumbling, and the local government has shown no desire to fix it outside of adding bike lanes and sidewalks. Who the hell wants to bike to work in 100 degree weather?

The local government has also been generally hostile towards businesses, outside of corporate welfare at the state level. They have a "if we don't build it they won't come" attitude. But they've been coming anyways because of the tech skilled workforce.

Honestly, Austin doesn't need them.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:26 PM 10-11-2017
Corporate welfare is so bad for America.

If cities weren't competing for this place, they'd go some place like rural West Virginia, and they'd attract workers because you can buy a house for $20,000. But instead of going to the poor places that need jobs, they go to the rich cities that can afford to pay the corporate welfare.
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:31 PM 10-11-2017
Austin is trying to promote a modern urban city layout with an emphasis on public transportation. But it's far to spread out of a city for that. They think if they don't fix the roads it will force people to use public transportation, but Texas has too much of a car culture for that.

The places you see public transportation work is when there are geographic barriers to prevent sprawl, like mountains or water. Think coasts. SF is great because it is surrounded by water on 3 sides forcing vertical expansion rather than horizontal.

Ultimately I think it makes sense for Amazon to pick a city in the central timezone to be able to serve both coasts without a drastic time difference. They also need a skilled workforce, and an airport that can serve them.

I fear that Austin, while not perfect, fits too many of these requirements. I hope not.
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:34 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Corporate welfare is so bad for America.

If cities weren't competing for this place, they'd go some place like rural West Virginia, and they'd attract workers because you can buy a house for $20,000. But instead of going to the poor places that need jobs, they go to the rich cities that can afford to pay the corporate welfare.
I agree 100%. Ironic that conservative small gov't Texas is so eager to give millions in tax breaks to lure companies. The state government here is conservative in name only. They're patronizing, doublespeaking politicians who only care about their reelection, not the general welfare of their constituents.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:41 PM 10-11-2017
KC won't even come close to getting it.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:46 PM 10-11-2017
KCBJ has an article about Whitney Kerr having a spot for Amazon to locate in. Anyone seen it, have access to it?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...nsas-city.html
[Reply]
Oh Snap 11:28 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Hamwallet:
A lot of abandoned warehouses with office space. Why build a new campus when you can string together a shit load abandoned warehouses and office buildings for fractions.
Amazon is all about status. They dont give a shit about money. They want to build a $5 billion HQ because they can. They probably wont pick KC. It would be awesome and nice if they did. But it probably wont happen.

Also to the guy who said they like the kansas side more...outside of lee summit, KCMO is crap. Leawood, overland park are the nice parts of the metro.
[Reply]
sportsman1 11:35 PM 10-11-2017
Texas media outlets keep hyping that they are putting in bids, as well. The 2nd HQ could end up anywhere, although rumors are Texas cities are out of consideration because of all the hype about the bathroom bill this summer.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:03 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Oh Snap:
Amazon is all about status. They dont give a shit about money. They want to build a $5 billion HQ because they can. They probably wont pick KC. It would be awesome and nice if they did. But it probably wont happen.

Also to the guy who said they like the kansas side more...outside of lee summit, KCMO is crap. Leawood, overland park are the nice parts of the metro.
Economic numbers look better in those areas and all major cities have just that...

... Do not be surprised if Indy suddenly becomes a contender in this fight as they have the nice airport with lots of development land...and the COL and real estate are reasonable. They have pros sports, a diverse downtown, and a shovel ready 103 acre plot close to downtown. (St Louis has one too)
Attached: indy hq2.jpg (64.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Dante84 12:10 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
Austin is trying to promote a modern urban city layout with an emphasis on public transportation. But it's far to spread out of a city for that. They think if they don't fix the roads it will force people to use public transportation, but Texas has too much of a car culture for that.

The places you see public transportation work is when there are geographic barriers to prevent sprawl, like mountains or water. Think coasts. SF is great because it is surrounded by water on 3 sides forcing vertical expansion rather than horizontal.

Ultimately I think it makes sense for Amazon to pick a city in the central timezone to be able to serve both coasts without a drastic time difference. They also need a skilled workforce, and an airport that can serve them.

I fear that Austin, while not perfect, fits too many of these requirements. I hope not.
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
I agree 100%. Ironic that conservative small gov't Texas is so eager to give millions in tax breaks to lure companies. The state government here is conservative in name only. They're patronizing, doublespeaking politicians who only care about their reelection, not the general welfare of their constituents.
You make great points, although, the Oracle project has been a boon for me - I sell houses and condos in the downtown area for a builder. With Oracle coming from up north to the new campus on Riverside, we've had tons of employees needing homes. It's been pretty sweet.

Facebook just announced that they will be moving from their office on 6th to 2nd where the old Music Hall used to be, and will be boosting their workforce up to something like 1,500 people from 600(?). They also have the first right to buy the building as well.

I'm not sure where Amazon would go, though, if they brought it downtown. Probably the East side, though they would need a few square blocks if its going to really be their 2nd HQ. There's spots near Parker Lane just SE of DT where there are old ass Apartments they could buy out and build on.

I know a guy who is high up at Amazon and is loosely involved in the decision, though, and can confirm that the bathroom bill does hurt Texas cities chances. They aren't just fucking around with that, which I actually think is cool.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 06:12 AM 10-12-2017
Help me understand how corporate tax breaks are unrepublican.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 06:15 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Great Expectations:
Help me understand how corporate tax breaks are unrepublican.

Heh.
[Reply]
Spott 07:47 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Oh Snap:

Your entire post is bullshit.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up