ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2375 of 3903
« First < 1375187522752325236523712372237323742375 237623772378237923852425247528753375 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Ebolapox 12:28 PM 06-22-2020
I'd say it's obvious, wear the damned mask but...

this last Saturday the wife and I were at the mall to pick up a few things and people watch a bit. We obviously both had our masks on (and gloves--that shit gets sweaty, son) and did a quick social experiment.

I counted unmasked OR those with the nose uncovered.

She counted properly masked people.

yeah, I know. I'm in a weird period of life where I promote science in my family as much as possible and use it as a chance to joke with my wife about hard vs soft science (she has a psych ba, I have a genetics phd).

results:

(over) 300 (stopped counting and nerd me did some adjustments to correct for proper sampling) weren't masked or masked properly. we counted 300 for the official count.

55 were masked.

84.5% of people at the columbia mall (generally a somewhat liberal place) weren't masked.

15.5 masked.

I wanna do this again with gloves.

I also (I'm out of that part of academia, so if anyone wants to steal this idea and write an NIH grant, go for it) want to do the same with the following...

1) same experiment with gloves. gloves vs nongloved

2) count different sections of the mall. some have more 'upscale' clientele, some not so much. are there regional differences even in a mall?

3) if POSSIBLE... figure out (aka we'd have to do contact tracing) whether more people in study 2's cohorts got covid more readily in certain sections of the mall vs others... yeah, this one would be hard

4) do same study at a wal-mart.

5) hell, do the same study at the more affluent part of town wal-mart.

yeah, I'm way ahead of myself and I'll never do it likely but... there are some interesting scientific questions to answer.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 12:31 PM 06-22-2020
before cdcox, kcdan or hamas clapback lol, I'ma say that yeah... there are a million variables and we'd have to do several samplings and have different people collecting data. yeah. I know. there's a reason I'm not actually going to do anything to actually try to make this a publishable paper, just an interesting thought experiment.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 12:39 PM 06-22-2020
I live in a county that has a total of 7 cases. Theres been probably about 10% mask wearers since the beginning in any given location unless admittance required a mask (theres only a couple stores in the area that are requiring a mask).

Back at the end of march, the ceo of the hospital gave out a dire warning about how widespread it was despite there only being a single confirmed case. 3 months later and we only have 6 more cases. 1 of those the person never actually tested positive and 2 others were people who worked in nursing homes in other counties.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:41 PM 06-22-2020
All of IL moving to phase 4 on Friday.

https://www.dph.illinois.gov/restore

Phase 4 – Revitalization: The rate of infection among those surveillance tested and the number of patients admitted to the hospital continues to decline. Gatherings of 50 people or fewer are allowed, restaurants and bars reopen, travel resumes, child care and schools reopen under guidance from the Illinois Department of Public Health. Face coverings and social distancing are the norm.
[Reply]
Monticore 12:53 PM 06-22-2020
Originally Posted by Ebolapox:
I'd say it's obvious, wear the damned mask but...

this last Saturday the wife and I were at the mall to pick up a few things and people watch a bit. We obviously both had our masks on (and gloves--that shit gets sweaty, son) and did a quick social experiment.

I counted unmasked OR those with the nose uncovered.

She counted properly masked people.

yeah, I know. I'm in a weird period of life where I promote science in my family as much as possible and use it as a chance to joke with my wife about hard vs soft science (she has a psych ba, I have a genetics phd).

results:

(over) 300 (stopped counting and nerd me did some adjustments to correct for proper sampling) weren't masked or masked properly. we counted 300 for the official count.

55 were masked.

84.5% of people at the columbia mall (generally a somewhat liberal place) weren't masked.

15.5 masked.

I wanna do this again with gloves.

I also (I'm out of that part of academia, so if anyone wants to steal this idea and write an NIH grant, go for it) want to do the same with the following...

1) same experiment with gloves. gloves vs nongloved

2) count different sections of the mall. some have more 'upscale' clientele, some not so much. are there regional differences even in a mall?

3) if POSSIBLE... figure out (aka we'd have to do contact tracing) whether more people in study 2's cohorts got covid more readily in certain sections of the mall vs others... yeah, this one would be hard

4) do same study at a wal-mart.

5) hell, do the same study at the more affluent part of town wal-mart.

yeah, I'm way ahead of myself and I'll never do it likely but... there are some interesting scientific questions to answer.
We don't recommend wearing gloves, washing your hands is more effective, most people don't know how to remove them properly without contaminating themselves and also tend to be more liberal touching things and contaminating the environment. People tend to was their hands more when not wearing gloves.
[Reply]
O.city 12:54 PM 06-22-2020
Seems like those places hit hard early are now coming down the slope and able to reopen and those spared early are getting hit now.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:54 PM 06-22-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
How do you figure that? Should they not be counted as positive because they have other health conditions?
Counting them as a case is one thing. Saying they are hospitalized for it when they went for something totally unrelated is another.
[Reply]
O.city 12:57 PM 06-22-2020

#COVID19. Italian Higher Inst of Health: #SARSCoV2 viral RNA in Milan & Turin sewage 12-18-19. Confirmed in 2 labs, using 2 diff methods, using wastewater samples (N=40) &
compared to 24 controls. A full 6 wks before 1st known Italian cases. #epitwitter https://t.co/TCxiiZhhsu pic.twitter.com/RiXxZZXS5K

— Tatiana Prowell, MD (@tmprowell) June 22, 2020

This whole thing is just crazy.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 12:58 PM 06-22-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
We don't recommend wearing gloves, washing your hands is more effective, most people don't know how to remove them properly without contaminating themselves and also tend to be more liberal touching things and contaminating the environment. People tend to was their hands more when not wearing gloves.
I say this with utmost sincerity... how many people do you think actually wash their hands properly while we AREN'T in a pandemic?

how many people DO wash properly in a pandemic? I've worked in BSL-3 labs, so I know how to disrobe properly and take off gloves correctly. you're right, not all do.

but most rarely wash their hands, and if they do, not properly. we don't need a surgical scrub but what I've seen people do in my lifetime and recently (**anecdotal, I know**) tell me that gloves would help more than anything.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:00 PM 06-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

Stopped reading at the "December 2019" part.
[Reply]
O.city 01:01 PM 06-22-2020
Why?
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:01 PM 06-22-2020

Yep, like it was spread purposely around the world. :-)
[Reply]
Ebolapox 01:05 PM 06-22-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Yep, like it was spread purposely around the world. :-)

I have no words. tell me more, 0.5 can.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:07 PM 06-22-2020
Why?
Because it means their findings are 100% wrong.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:11 PM 06-22-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Wait till you hear about heart disease numbers.
I remember the last time I caught heart disease while walking by someone in the grocery store.
[Reply]
Page 2375 of 3903
« First < 1375187522752325236523712372237323742375 237623772378237923852425247528753375 > Last »
Up