ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
The Lounge>The RUN game
UChieffyBugger 11:26 AM 10-09-2019
Should we be concerned about this right now? Damien can have his moments but as each game goes by you realise he's not one to be grinding out yards. Mccoy has flashed but again he's not best running between the tackles and the coach's don't seem to trust Darwin at the moment despite looking impressive in pre-season. So that leaves Darrel Williams and I was very surprised that he didn't get many touches on Sunday after he performed so well in the the two previous games!!..like WTF is Andy thinking? The offense when healthy is brilliant but come playoff time and in the seasons ahead we're gonna need balance. It's games like Sunday that Kareem's demise really hurts us.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 11:59 AM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
NEITHER HAS THE OLINE.

Mahomes hurt his ankle in week 1, the running game has been straight AIDS all year...
Our running game is under utilized. Outside of Damien Williams it's been effective on a per snap basis except in the Oakland game.

113 on 26 rushes week 1 (williams 13 carries for 26 yards)

31 on 22 carries in week 2 (Damien had 8 yards on 9 carries)

140 on 25 carries in week 3 ( Damien didn't play)

123 on 25 carries in week 4. (Damien didn't play, but Mahomes chipped in 46 yards)

36 yards on 14 carries (Damien carried the load with 23 yards on 9 carries... his best game of the season)

Call me crazy, but do YOU notice a pattern?

Bench Damien Williams and just run more often. It's working fine. McCoy has been effective. Reid just decided he needed to be benched for that fumble.

He hasn't benched anyone ELSE for fumbling, but whatever.
[Reply]
jjjayb 12:19 PM 10-09-2019
With the way Chubbs is playing maybe Cleveland will trade Hunt to us. :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 12:20 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
Should we be concerned about this right now? Damien can have his moments but as each game goes by you realise he's not one to be grinding out yards. Mccoy has flashed but again he's not best running between the tackles and the coach's don't seem to trust Darwin at the moment despite looking impressive in pre-season. So that leaves Darrel Williams and I was very surprised that he didn't get many touches on Sunday after he performed so well in the the two previous games!!..like WTF is Andy thinking? The offense when healthy is brilliant but come playoff time and in the seasons ahead we're gonna need balance. It's games like Sunday that Kareem's demise really hurts us.
No. We shouldn't run. Ever really unless we have the game in hand. Now if you don't have a Top 10 passing offense, maybe you want to run. Maybe. But it's the less effective way to score and it's not even close.

Compare expected points per pass EVEN WHEN it's 3rd and 8 or something when 100% of the stadium knows you are throwing it and it's STILL much much higher than running the ball YPC and points per play even when running on 1st down or 2nd and 14 or something when you can catch them off guard.

Stop the madness. Thinking you need to run the ball is an old school habit. With the way the game is played and reffed today. Throw the damn ball.
[Reply]
Kiimosabi 12:23 PM 10-09-2019
Free Darwin
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:27 PM 10-09-2019
Another personnel strategy that puzzles me. If we had Damien williams as our lightweight guy we didn't trust running between the tackles, why Darwin Thompson? I'm fine getting rid of Hyde but I also wonder if we could have used a big thumper. I like darrel Williams and all, but I'm not sure he's anything more than a situational back.

We need a rb who can consistently run between the tackles. Is it crazy to wonder if we should be looking into an option like Alex Collins or Jay ajayi? Not as an every down RB but as an option who can at least smash some faces in.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 12:28 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
No. We shouldn't run. Ever really unless we have the game in hand. Now if you don't have a Top 10 passing offense, maybe you want to run. Maybe. But it's the less effective way to score and it's not even close.

Compare expected points per pass EVEN WHEN it's 3rd and 8 or something when 100% of the stadium knows you are throwing it and it's STILL much much higher than running the ball YPC and points per play even when running on 1st down or 2nd and 14 or something when you can catch them off guard.

Stop the madness. Thinking you need to run the ball is an old school habit. With the way the game is played and reffed today. Throw the damn ball.
Yeah, let's just keep doing what got our QB almost killed last week. Let's just pretend this is the big 12 and there are no repercussions for a 1 dimensional offense. No runs. No play action. Let's just drop back pass all day and assume the D will NEVER figure it out.

This take is asinine.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:35 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
No. We shouldn't run. Ever really unless we have the game in hand. Now if you don't have a Top 10 passing offense, maybe you want to run. Maybe. But it's the less effective way to score and it's not even close.

Compare expected points per pass EVEN WHEN it's 3rd and 8 or something when 100% of the stadium knows you are throwing it and it's STILL much much higher than running the ball YPC and points per play even when running on 1st down or 2nd and 14 or something when you can catch them off guard.

Stop the madness. Thinking you need to run the ball is an old school habit. With the way the game is played and reffed today. Throw the damn ball.
BWillie, ladies and gentlemen.

He'll be here all day, posting for our amusement...
[Reply]
BWillie 12:49 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
BWillie, ladies and gentlemen.

He'll be here all day, posting for our amusement...
Analytics ladies and gentleman. People seem to believe things that are repeated over for years though instead, even though times change.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:50 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Andy underutilizes the running game, but he has one of the most innovative and varied running attacks in the NFL and any coach or defensive player will tell you that.

Andy is brilliant at designing a running game to not use often enough.

Everyone is producing on a per carry basis except Damien Williams. He had all 9 halfback carries against the colts. 23 yards on 9 carries was his best game so far! This ain't rocket science.
That's a much better way to put it.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 12:54 PM 10-09-2019
Damien Williams has entered the DAT Zone, in terms of receiving Andy's unwarranted trust.

Anyone can see that McCoy, Darrel Williams and Thompson are all more explosive RB's.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:00 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Yeah, let's just keep doing what got our QB almost killed last week. Let's just pretend this is the big 12 and there are no repercussions for a 1 dimensional offense. No runs. No play action. Let's just drop back pass all day and assume the D will NEVER figure it out.

This take is asinine.
Can you use stats to support your argument? How come passing the ball even on 100% passing downs far exceeds the points per play generated by running the ball.

Its just been ingrained in your brains since you were young that you need to run the ball or at least run the ball to set up the pass. The game is played differently. Analytics finally has made it so coaches are going for it on 4th down more often too. Analytics will continue to push the NFL to a more pass happy league because it is by far and away the most effective way to score ESPECIALLY when you have an elite Quartback
[Reply]
BWillie 01:07 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
BWillie, ladies and gentlemen.

He'll be here all day, posting for our amusement...
https://theathletic.com/980870/2019/...t-dead-either/
[Reply]
stumppy 01:11 PM 10-09-2019
What run game? D. Williams sucks and McCoy is injured. Add to that the run blocking isn't worth a damn.
[Reply]
stumppy 01:13 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Our running game is under utilized. Outside of Damien Williams it's been effective on a per snap basis except in the Oakland game.

113 on 26 rushes week 1 (williams 13 carries for 26 yards)

31 on 22 carries in week 2 (Damien had 8 yards on 9 carries)

140 on 25 carries in week 3 ( Damien didn't play)

123 on 25 carries in week 4. (Damien didn't play, but Mahomes chipped in 46 yards)

36 yards on 14 carries (Damien carried the load with 23 yards on 9 carries... his best game of the season)

Call me crazy, but do YOU notice a pattern?

Bench Damien Williams and just run more often. It's working fine. McCoy has been effective. Reid just decided he needed to be benched for that fumble.

He hasn't benched anyone ELSE for fumbling, but whatever.

See post #28
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:36 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Analytics ladies and gentleman. People seem to believe things that are repeated over for years though instead, even though times change.
And yet, if analytics were the end-all be-all that some think, I'd never lose a sports bet.

In fact, I wonder what analytics would've said about the Chiefs chances of losing last Sunday's game?

Oh wait . . .
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up