ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2749 of 3903
« First < 1749224926492699273927452746274727482749 275027512752275327592799284932493749 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 02:36 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:
Did they reach herd immunity or did they test and trace fast enough early on to prevent it from spreading?
I'm told that the only way to drive cases into the ground and R0 below 1 is to reach herd immunity. They did that. Therefore, they must have reached herd immunity.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:36 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Vietnam is having problems now as well.

Australia had it beat it seemed, now not so much. New Zealand is having economic issues because of lack of travel.
This is what Vietnam is doing for 30 new cases. This is how it is supposed to be done. America take note.

Originally Posted by :
The 1.1 million-population city of Danang quit taking domestic tourists for 14 days, halted many gatherings and shuttered non-essential services such as bars and amusement parks, domestic news website VnExpress International reported.

Flights, buses, taxis, and trains to and from Da Nang are suspended too, business consultancy Dezan Shira & Associates says on its website. Thousands of tourists there now must remain.

Quang Nam, a province bordering Danang, planned starting Wednesday to close bars, internet shops, cinemas and other spots to stop any disease spread there, the news website reported.

“Danang is done,” Nguyen said. “There are no tourists coming in or out."

[Reply]
TLO 02:38 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Vietnam is having problems now as well.

Australia had it beat it seemed, now not so much. New Zealand is having economic issues because of lack of travel.
Welp.
[Reply]
Pants 02:39 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Should have worn goggles.
Still confused about the way masks work? I know you found a very simple concept difficult to understand.
[Reply]
TLO 02:40 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
This is what Vietnam is doing for 30 new cases. This is how it is supposed to be done. America take note.
I'm so sick of the "USA BAD! (Enter country name here) GOOD!!!!" talk. This isn't directed at you Dirk, but it's completely foolish.
[Reply]
Pants 02:42 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I'm so sick of the "USA BAD! (Enter country name here) GOOD!!!!" talk. This isn't directed at you Dirk, but it's completely foolish.
Are there other countries were people are intentionally defying mitigation efforts for political and other reasons?

I know Brazil is really bad, but I kind of understand why. They have a dumbass President and a bunch of favelas to deal with.
[Reply]
Donger 02:42 PM 07-30-2020
Why? Do you think that we've handled the pandemic well comparatively?
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:45 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Still confused about the way masks work? I know you found a very simple concept difficult to understand.
Ummm I fully understand the concept of how masks are supposed to work. They are supposed to keep the mask wearer form infecting other people by keeping droplets out of the air.

Which is why I also understand the need to wear goggles makes no sense if you think the masks work.

And if you are around people not wearing a mask, don't get close enough to get coughed up. I mean when was the last time you were coughed on or sneezed on by someone outside your household?

Simple concepts are hard to understand but not by me.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:46 PM 07-30-2020
Are there other countries were people are intentionally defying mitigation efforts for political and other reasons?

I know Brazil is really bad, but I kind of understand why. They have a dumbass President and a bunch of favelas to deal with.
Do you realize outside of NY and NJ the US numbers are comparable to most any other "modern" country in the world? Did NY and NJ defy efforts for political reasons?
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:47 PM 07-30-2020
It's not foolish when it comes to discussing how we have handled Covid. Look at how the vast majority of countries handled Covid and then think of what our individual cities\states do and compare them.

30+ cases in 1 city, Vietnam takes aggressive action. 30+ cases in one American city nothing happens life goes on..well until the cases explodes and mass death follows.

When is enough is enough for us? How many deaths are we willing to tolerate? Obviously 150k in 6 months isn't enough.
[Reply]
TLO 02:48 PM 07-30-2020

I won't claim to know exactly what other countries are doing, but I feel comfortable saying that a large number of locations either can't/won't put into place mitigation efforts.

Originally Posted by Donger:
Why? Do you think that we've handled the pandemic well comparatively?
I think if every county/region on Earth did mass testing we'd probably realize this is one giant clusterfuck that everyone is a part of (besides New Zealand and apparently North Korea)
[Reply]
Donger 02:49 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Ummm I fully understand the concept of how masks are supposed to work. They are supposed to keep the mask wearer form infecting other people by keeping droplets out of the air.

Which is why I also understand the need to wear goggles makes no sense if you think the masks work.

And if you are around people not wearing a mask, don't get close enough to get coughed up. I mean when was the last time you were coughed on or sneezed on by someone outside your household?

Simple concepts are hard to understand but not by me.
Masks can prevent the wearer from inhaling a droplet. Just like goggles or eyeglasses can prevent a droplet getting in your eye(s).
[Reply]
Donger 02:52 PM 07-30-2020
I think if every county/region on Earth did mass testing we'd probably realize this is one giant cluster**** that everyone is a part of (besides New Zealand and apparently North Korea)
I think that many countries are doing mass testing per capita. It would be interesting to see how many other countries have positivity percentages like ours, which is 7.8% today and thankfully trending down slowly.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:52 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Masks can prevent the wearer from inhaling a droplet. Just like goggles or eyeglasses can prevent a droplet getting in your eye(s).
They "can" but its not likely nor is it the main purpose. Its more likely the droplet sits on your mask while you inhale and exhale and eventually some gets in.

And again why do you need to wear goggles if the people around you are wearing masks? Where are the droplets coming from?
[Reply]
TLO 02:54 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
It's not foolish when it comes to discussing how we have handled Covid. Look at how the vast majority of countries handled Covid and then think of what our individual cities\states do and compare them.

30+ cases in 1 city, Vietnam takes aggressive action. 30+ cases in one American city nothing happens life goes on..well until the cases explodes and mass death follows.

When is enough is enough for us? How many deaths are we willing to tolerate? Obviously 150k in 6 months isn't enough.
I don't know. I don't think the actions they are taking over 30 cases is particularly smart though. Are they just going to open up and shut back down for all eternity?
[Reply]
Page 2749 of 3903
« First < 1749224926492699273927452746274727482749 275027512752275327592799284932493749 > Last »
Up