ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 141 of 149
« First < 4191131137138139140141 142143144145 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
Coach 04:36 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Maybe. It probably has more HRs for sure. I'm not 100% convinced Schwarber was a better offensive player than Franco last year.
I see what you're saying. I can understand that.

Franco however, career wise WAR was 2.2. Schwarber is 5.1. That's almost 3 wins net there. They're both the same age (different positions obviously).

Franco was better than Schwarber this year, offensively, I won't dispute that. But that was a weird season. Schwarber had better offensive numbers in 2018 and 2019, as his oWAR is 1.6 and 2.6, where Franco's 2018 and 2019 was 1.6 and -0.3.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:28 PM 12-05-2020
Only problem with Schwarber is you basically have two DHs on the team. I can't imagine Dayton would be too thrilled about that. Going from Gordon to Schwarber in LF in our giant ballpark.
If we get fat Kyle, he better not ever see the OF.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:36 PM 12-05-2020
The Athletic:

Kansas City Royals

Sign Marcell Ozuna to a three-year, $54 million contract.

Kansas City should not wait for Major League Baseball to decide if they’re going to have a universal designated hitter in 2021. And they shouldn’t let Ozuna wait to find out if National League teams will be playing on him. They should be aggressive, put a multi-year deal out there and give him a short deadline to get the deal done, putting pressure on him to make a quick decision or risk leaving millions on the table.

Ozuna had a banner year with the Braves last year, leading the NL with 18 home runs while putting up an impressive .338/.431/.636 slash line. The Royals’ offseason goals are simple. They wanted to add a starting pitcher and they checked that box immediately when they signed left-handed starter Mike Minor to a two-year deal. Next, they wanted to improve their speed and defense in center field and they were able to check that box when they inked former Washington National Michael A. Taylor to a one-year deal. Now their most important offseason goal is to acquire a middle-of-the-order bat and Ozuna more than checks that box — he would put an exclamation point on a strong offseason for the small-market Royals.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:09 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
The Athletic:

Kansas City Royals

Sign Marcell Ozuna to a three-year, $54 million contract.

Kansas City should not wait for Major League Baseball to decide if they’re going to have a universal designated hitter in 2021. And they shouldn’t let Ozuna wait to find out if National League teams will be playing on him. They should be aggressive, put a multi-year deal out there and give him a short deadline to get the deal done, putting pressure on him to make a quick decision or risk leaving millions on the table.

Ozuna had a banner year with the Braves last year, leading the NL with 18 home runs while putting up an impressive .338/.431/.636 slash line. The Royals’ offseason goals are simple. They wanted to add a starting pitcher and they checked that box immediately when they signed left-handed starter Mike Minor to a two-year deal. Next, they wanted to improve their speed and defense in center field and they were able to check that box when they inked former Washington National Michael A. Taylor to a one-year deal. Now their most important offseason goal is to acquire a middle-of-the-order bat and Ozuna more than checks that box — he would put an exclamation point on a strong offseason for the small-market Royals.
I'm not so sure about the Big Bear. Maybe Cardinal fans soured me on him.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:21 PM 12-05-2020
Duncan do you know anything about this guy?

Mel Rojas, Jr., KBO OF

He left for the KBO as a speedy center fielder struggling to pair contact ability with power, and he could return as a more traditional, slower corner outfielder — but one who has figured out how to pair contact and power and is coming off an MVP season in Korea.

“Here’s a guy who’s figured some things out in the KBO,” said a scout about Rojas, Jr. “He showed some flashes of his tools in the minors, but he was not able to get all of them together to the major-league level. In Korea, he went from a decent doubles guy to a home run slugger (the exit-velo data year-to-year supports that) due to him adding strength. He also sacrificed some speed for that.”

Rojas looks like a slightly better option in most regards than fellow posted KBO outfielder Na. He struck out a fair amount, but less than Na. He hits the ball hard, and according to 2020 exit velocity, harder than Na, with a 114 mph exit velo and an average around 93 mph. He’s a little more pull-happy, especially from the right side, but as a former center fielder without the injury history, he’s likely to be more of a defensive asset, even if he’s no longer a center fielder. And he’s a switch hitter instead of a lefty-only guy.

If the power comes back with him, there’s a chance that Rojas could be better than league average for a couple of years, but even his comps suggest a bit of risk. A team might have a little more confidence in its ability to project Rojas than Na, so take the same teams that would be interested in Na, but skew them toward how competitive they are right now. Teams could be interested at the right price, and Rojas made $1.5 million in KBO last year, so he could be a little less expensive than domestic options.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:29 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Duncan do you know anything about this guy?

Mel Rojas, Jr., KBO OF

He left for the KBO as a speedy center fielder struggling to pair contact ability with power, and he could return as a more traditional, slower corner outfielder — but one who has figured out how to pair contact and power and is coming off an MVP season in Korea.

“Here’s a guy who’s figured some things out in the KBO,” said a scout about Rojas, Jr. “He showed some flashes of his tools in the minors, but he was not able to get all of them together to the major-league level. In Korea, he went from a decent doubles guy to a home run slugger (the exit-velo data year-to-year supports that) due to him adding strength. He also sacrificed some speed for that.”

Rojas looks like a slightly better option in most regards than fellow posted KBO outfielder Na. He struck out a fair amount, but less than Na. He hits the ball hard, and according to 2020 exit velocity, harder than Na, with a 114 mph exit velo and an average around 93 mph. He’s a little more pull-happy, especially from the right side, but as a former center fielder without the injury history, he’s likely to be more of a defensive asset, even if he’s no longer a center fielder. And he’s a switch hitter instead of a lefty-only guy.

If the power comes back with him, there’s a chance that Rojas could be better than league average for a couple of years, but even his comps suggest a bit of risk. A team might have a little more confidence in its ability to project Rojas than Na, so take the same teams that would be interested in Na, but skew them toward how competitive they are right now. Teams could be interested at the right price, and Rojas made $1.5 million in KBO last year, so he could be a little less expensive than domestic options.
I remember his dad. A decent relief pitcher. If I remember right they are related the Alou's.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:41 PM 12-05-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
I remember his dad. A decent relief pitcher. If I remember right they are related the Alou's.

That’s a new one for me. Might be a fun research project.
[Reply]
tk13 01:08 PM 12-08-2020

First baseman Carlos Santana and the Kansas City Royals are in agreement on a two-year, $17 million deal, sources confirm to ESPN. Royals had been heavy in the first base market and get a veteran with power and on-base skills. @JonHeyman was first on the deal.

— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 8, 2020

[Reply]
tk13 01:15 PM 12-08-2020
This has to be the least Royals-like signing in recent history. Santana led the AL in walks last year and had 100+ walks the previous two years before that.

Downside is he had a down year last year and will be 35. But the previous 10 years before that shortened season he's been an excellent offensive weapon.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:15 PM 12-08-2020
Wow. Seems to be a decent move, I'm surprised at the moves we've made so far.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01:15 PM 12-08-2020
Damn.... I really like this move. Reminds me of the Kendrys Morales move a couple years ago
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:18 PM 12-08-2020
What?

Literally, what? I am shocked. I love the move.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 01:19 PM 12-08-2020
TO THE 'SHIP!!!
[Reply]
RockChalk 01:21 PM 12-08-2020
Love this.

Are we planning on a 3 man rotation at DH then? Salvy, Soler, Santana?
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01:22 PM 12-08-2020
He has destroyed us at the K before. He’s gonna fit right in.
[Reply]
Page 141 of 149
« First < 4191131137138139140141 142143144145 > Last »
Up