ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 29
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Listen, people. We need to have a talk about a Chiefs name change at some point.
Rain Man 11:59 AM 06-29-2020
I think the odds are low of a name change, but given the current state of affairs it's a non-zero possibility. And if we don't have input, the name will end up being some trite adjective in front of the word Hawks, which has happened with pretty much every other sports name change in America. Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Screeching Hawks, whatever. We don't want that.

I suspect that some members of Chiefs management read this site occasionally to get our takes on who should be starting at left guard or how they should handle a particular contract, so this is our chance to have input into the process. (Oh, and hi, Clark. Nice work last year, my friend. PM me about getting together for dinner next time you're in Denver.)

So we'll have a renaming tournament. In this thread, you may propose up to three names, and I'll structure everyone's suggestions into heats. Using the Chiefsplanet brain trust, we'll give Clark and his team valuable input into what the Chiefs should become if we eventually delete our homage to indigenous plains cultures.
[Reply]
Tonka83 09:36 AM 06-30-2020
Anyone offended by the name Chiefs is by default a Raiders fan and should be relegated to the island of misfit toys.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:43 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
History is moving forward, my friend. If we don't move with it, we'll be left behind like an Australopithecus watching the Bering land bridge sink.
Why are you wussing out to the Marxist Cancel Culture so easily ?? Let them take Clark to court and PROVE that the word "Chiefs" is derogatory to the native Americans. They will not be able to come up with anything derogatory I assure you.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:01 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Why are you wussing out to the Marxist Cancel Culture so easily ?? Let them take Clark to court and PROVE that the word "Chiefs" is derogatory to the native Americans. They will not be able to come up with anything derogatory I assure you.
Jesus fucking Christ man... how many times are you butt fucking morons going to make Rain Man explain the premise of this thread?
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:23 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
RM is just having some fun with the current political environment I’m sure, don’t take him at face value here
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 10:47 AM 06-30-2020
I think Redskins will be available soon.
[Reply]
scho63 11:15 AM 06-30-2020
The Kansas City Super Bowl Champions has a nice ring to it! :-)
[Reply]
scho63 11:16 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by CarlosCarson88:
redskins is not racist. Indians referred to themselves as such.
And Black people call each other the "N" word all the time but I don't think a hockey team called the Nashville N******s would be a good idea. :-)
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:20 AM 06-30-2020
Kansas City United would fit since it covers two states.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:21 AM 06-30-2020
Kansas City Sizzle
[Reply]
Wilson8 11:35 AM 06-30-2020
The Chiefs name is a good one that I would like to keep it.

From the media stories that I have read, the main objections that Native Americans have would be with the tomahawk chop and with fans dressing in garish costumes.

I would agree with what TheMartyr wrote earlier.

Originally Posted by :
1) Make immediate plans to get rid of the chop.

2) Start implementing policies that gets fans to not wear Native American headdresses and other symbolic apparel at the game.

3) Reach out to local tribal leaders and do more to honor these groups at the games with some half time performances that are educational, respectful, and inclusive to Native Americans.

4) Create strategic partnerships with local Native American institutions, such as Haskell University in Lawrence, the Mid-American Museum Center in Wichita, holding free football camps on Indian reservations (there is actually a long and storied history of Native Americans embracing football), etc.
I would also add a wall of honor inside the stadium that does a tribute to Chiefs or leaders from different tribal groups.

But bottom line, keep the name "Chiefs"
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:41 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
And Black people call each other the "N" word all the time but I don't think a hockey team called the Nashville N******s would be a good idea. :-)
Hmm, interesting. This post doesn't jive with how I'd have assumed you'd feel about the situation.

For clarity, would you encourage a name change for the Redskins because its offensive?
[Reply]
scho63 12:04 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Hmm, interesting. This post doesn't jive with how I'd have assumed you'd feel about the situation.

For clarity, would you encourage a name change for the Redskins because its offensive?
It's not for me to say. I'm not offended but I can sure see how if team was called the Yellowskins Asians would take offense.

So in the current environment, the pressure will be intense.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 12:31 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by jallmon:
The way I heard it was Lamar Hunt named them the Chiefs in honor of a KC politician known as the "Big Chief", for his help in getting the team moved from Dallas and established in KC.
H roe bartle, longtime beloved of mayor. Was mayor when they moved to kc. ‘The chief’ was his nickname.
[Reply]
seclark 12:32 PM 06-30-2020
Pie
sec
[Reply]
Graystoke 12:57 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
Pie
sec
I like pie. And for clarity not that 3.1415926535 plus one million other digits pi
[Reply]
Page 14 of 29
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up