ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Joe Delaney Memorialized
Tribal Warfare 09:45 PM 06-27-2020

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl on the 37th anniversary of Delaney's death, and Delaney wore number 37 while playing for the Chiefs.​ https://t.co/xlQVAunr3S

— FOX4 News (@fox4kc) June 28, 2020

[Reply]
ROYC75 09:57 PM 06-27-2020
AWESOME!
[Reply]
KurtCobain 10:27 PM 06-27-2020
Somebody will tear it down.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:11 AM 06-28-2020
:-)

#37Forever
[Reply]
Bob Dole 05:14 AM 06-28-2020
Apparently it was pushed forward by the diver that recovered his body.
[Reply]
Hydrae 07:13 AM 06-28-2020
https://fox4kc.com/news/former-chief...-drowning-kids

Originally Posted by :
Former Chiefs player memorialized for giving his life trying to save drowning kids
NEWS
by: Nexstar Media Wire

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 / 07:57 PM CDT / Updated: Jun 27, 2020 / 07:57 PM CDT
MONROE, La. – He was a two-time All-American football player and an NFL star, but for a Louisiana community, he was also a local hero.

On June 29, 1983, former Kansas City Chief’s running back Joe Delaney didn’t hesitate to jump into a pound to save three kids screaming for help, despite not being able to swim himself. Delaney and two of the kids drowned that day, but one survived, Nexstar sister station KARD-TV reported.

“He didn’t worry about himself, he just worried about making the people around him happy. That’s just the type of person joe was,” Carolyn Delaney, Joe’s wife, said.

His memory and sacrifice were honored Saturday, June 27 during a monument unveiling and dedication ceremony at Chennault Park by the pond where he lost his life.

“Right now, I am just so overwhelmed, I mean it just makes me feel so proud of Joe and the person he was. I just can’t explain how happy I am today,” Carolyn Delaney said.

The monument comes after former Monroe Police Department rescue diver, Marvin Dearman, told Monroe City Council there was never anything done at Chennault Park to remember Joe. The Chiefs won the Super Bowl on the 37th anniversary of Delaney’s death, and Delaney wore number 37 while playing for the Chiefs. Dearman said that makes this the perfect year to honor him.

“It was just like it was meant to be. This is a positive thing for everybody. Even though he died, he died a hero, and there is a story about him that will live on forever,” Dearman, who also organized the event, said.

Dearman said a lot of people from Monroe and Kansas City helped make this ceremony possible.

“Sometimes as a hero, it doesn’t always work out the way you plan it. He knew he couldn’t swim, but that didn’t matter to him. All he thought about was he was going to try to save those kids,” Dearman said.

Delaney’s wife said this was the first time being at the park where Joe took his last breath.

“We have a place where I can bring the kids and grandkids, great-grandkids down to see the monument that they put up to honor Joe in the last place where he tried to save some kid’s lives,” Carolyn Delaney said.

President Ronald Reagan recognized Joe Delaney by awarding him the Presidential Citizen’s Medal. Joe was also awarded the Louisiana State Civilian Bravery Award by Governor Dave Treen and the NCAA gave him the Award of Valor.
It has been way too long but this is great news!
[Reply]
Halfcan 03:20 PM 06-28-2020
A well-deserved honor for an ALL Time Great Chief!
[Reply]
HayWire 05:55 AM 06-29-2020
Thanks for posting this. It's nice to read something positive for a change.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:52 AM 06-29-2020
They finally got his park fixed up a few years ago, and now this really nice looking stone... very cool

RIP, Joe... I wouldn’t be a Chiefs fan if not for you
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:01 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:

RIP, Joe... I wouldn’t be a Chiefs fan if not for you
Really, how so?
[Reply]
Hydrae 09:20 AM 06-29-2020
I think we should consider sticking this to top of the forum.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 10:37 AM 06-29-2020
<<<<<<<<(avatar)

We all need a hero.

Anyone who has the means to, please consider sponsoring swimming lessons for a child who otherwise won't get them.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:47 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Really, how so?
As a kid we primarily got Bears and Cowboys games around here, and so my two dudes were Payton and Dorsett, loved’ em both but couldn’t decide between them

But then they showed a couple Chiefs games Joes rookie season, and it was love at first sight, I finally had my own guy... and team

It also didn’t hurt that I had a lot of family in KC at that time and spent a lot of summer vacation time there... so the Chiefs were a natural fit

Joe was the first celebrity death to send me reeling for days, just couldn’t wrap my head around it
[Reply]
Iowanian 12:26 PM 06-29-2020
It's nice to see but this should have happened about 36 years ago.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 12:33 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by KurtCobain:
Somebody will tear it down.
Yes, some day a stupid collection of people will groupthink an excuse to tear that thing down. It'll probably be the arrow head that cinches it. Until then (and even after), it's a fitting memorial to a deserving, selfless man.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up