« First < 81415161718 192021222868118518 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:01 PM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, I see the point in that.

In my case, I'm not that frugal, but at the same time I don't have many expenses. It's a weird situation to be in, but a good one. I don't really need to watch my everyday finances tightly, but I look at stuff like my cable TV bill and it grinds my gears because I don't think I'm getting good value on it. But I haven't had an impetus to do anything about it, so it leads to this feeling that I'm wasting money.

I know the feeling exactly, premium package , Football and baseball, $250 / month. But then I just try to realize how boring life would be without that and when I'm dead it won't matter any more.

And then a landline with internet, $129 / month . But my landline is for one of my businesses so I have to have it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:14 PM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
I know the feeling exactly, premium package , Football and baseball, $250 / month. But then I just try to realize how boring life would be without that and when I'm dead it won't matter any more.

And then a landline with internet, $129 / month . But my landline is for one of my businesses so I have to have it.
Well, that makes me feel better. I pay about $170 per month for cable and internet, but it still chafes me. I keep thinking that I should switch to one of those online services combined with an over-the-air antenna, but I haven't been motivated enough to learn about it.
[Reply]
scho63 04:19 PM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
Good on you, but what changes did you make? I'm also curious - after the end of this year you no longer have to pay property taxes, insurance, electric, utilities, etc?
I'm now living rent free, utility and cable free, property tax free, renter insurance free and I've cut back on going out to an expensive late lunch or dinner 5-6 nights a week until at least December. I've moved into my office. At 120-130K income for the year the money should accumulate rapidly.

I have complete bedroom setup, clean clothes, shower and locker room, full kitchen with convention oven microwave, full refrigerator, dishwasher, normal microwave, free tea, free coffee, snacks,safe and quiet environment.

I have a car payment, which I want to pay off the $14,600 in November, a few other small bills and a Fed Tax bill from 2010 of around $7,000. My 401K has grown faster in 2 years than any other of my savings attempts in 30 years. I'm moving it up from 10-15% and can utilize some catch up provisions.

I'm single and decided to set aside 6 months of serious sacrifice to jump start my retirment goal of living in Scottsdale. :-)
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:24 PM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:

I'm in the same boat at home.

Then add another 339 a month at the shop, and add another 90 something to have listings in my local phone book.

Fucking assholes
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:26 PM 07-22-2016
How does living in the office work?
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:20 PM 07-22-2016
So do you own the office or what? If not, how is your employer cool with you living there?

I'm intrigued.
[Reply]
scho63 07:39 AM 07-23-2016
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
How does living in the office work?
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So do you own the office or what? If not, how is your employer cool with you living there?

I'm intrigued.
The main boss and only he knows I am here as I got his approval first. I had been thinking about this for 3-4 months before my townhome lease expired and I launched the plan so it was effortless. I told him I would be staying here for the next 4-5 months or UNTIL someone found out and complained. Told him it was solely to save money. As of this moment, no one knows but I think the Hispanic cleaning lady probably has a good idea because I am always here on the computer until they leave.

I spent $54,500 on rent and utilities for the last two years and also lent the ex-girlfriend $11,000 of which she gave me back a paltry $1,000 total. That's $64,000 AFTER TAX dollars I spent which is around $90,000 GROSS INCOME. When I look back at the fiasco of renting a place too big and too expensive because of her and all the money I pissed away, I wanted to do something very radical in the opposite direction.

I just rented a storage unit in a super clean and safe well known building where I moved all my belongings that costs $75 a month. Keypad entry and I have 3 hanging wardrobe boxes that I have my clothes hung on to rotate what I wear. I have several days of clothes along with clean towels in my trunk. Our building has a complete shower and locker room where I store all my shampoo, soap, razor, toothbrush, etc in a locker with a lock on it. Only two out of ten are being utilized.

I rented a PO box for 6 months for all my mail and all shipments like Amazon are sent to my office.

I have an twin raised air mattress 22" off the floor that blows up with the electric pump in 3-4 minutes and deflates in 1 with the quick release. I blow it up around 9pm after the cleaning people have left and deflate every morning during the week by 6am.

The office I sleep in has a lock on the door so I can prevent someone if they ever showed up from coming in.

The bathroom-shower is directly across from our office and I can go any time at night with no one seeing me.

I have shower pants and a Tshirt I use with flip flops when I change into my sleeping gear. Sleep in my undies.

This commercial building has only two floors and has little to no early workers. It is has two large offices next to us which have been vacant for a while so occupancy is light.

The A/C is on all week and only shuts off on Saturday around 1pm. I have a small Honeywell electric fan that works perfect that I set up to blow on me when I sleep. On Sundays I have to plug in a small lamp in the shower room as the main lights and A/C are off only on that day.

I have a large box with two pillow, two comforters, a cotton blanket, a sheet and the airmattress all fit in that I store on a shelf with my name as PERSONAL. I also have a small little lamp on the desk and I use the flashlight feature on my phone when needed.

I put all my dirty clothes in a hefty garbage bag in my trunk and drop off at a Hispanic run laundry that does wash and fold for $1.25 a pound. It's 10 minutes away and I drop off my laundry once every 8-10 days in the morning and by evening all my clothes are washed to my instructions and folded perfectly, better than I can do! Costs me around $45 a month for laundry service. Very cheap.

There are only 11 other people that work in the office with me and they sometimes telecommute.

I have a full kitchen with coffee, tea, snacks, juice, soda, full fridge, freezer, convection oven, and large table.

So far I've been here 5 1/2 weeks and it has flown by. My bank account is growing again and I should be in great shape at the end of the year.

This is a big trend out in Silicon Valley and certainly not for everyone but it is working out perfect so far for me. Took some planning for sure.

Now you know.....
Attached: 20160723_083227.jpg (49.3 KB) 20160723_093603.jpg (49.1 KB) 20160723_083236.jpg (42.1 KB) 
[Reply]
lewdog 08:02 AM 07-23-2016
Scho, that is super legit! Makes a ton of sense if you can swing that for a while and have no attachments. You'd save a boat load doing that.

After these 6 months or so, what's your goal going forward?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:58 AM 07-23-2016
If I was single I could do that. Sleep in a hog barn. My advantage is I can piss or shit anywhere in the barn and use a water hose to shower.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:00 AM 07-23-2016
Scho, What about the Hookers ? You cutting them out too ? Major expense right there bro.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:07 AM 07-23-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
The main boss and only he knows I am here as I got his approval first. I had been thinking about this for 3-4 months before my townhome lease expired and I launched the plan so it was effortless. I told him I would be staying here for the next 4-5 months or UNTIL someone found out and complained. Told him it was solely to save money. As of this moment, no one knows but I think the Hispanic cleaning lady probably has a good idea because I am always here on the computer until they leave.

That's actually kind of ingenious. As expensive as living expenses are in that area, it's like you got a second job of just living ultra cheaply. Good luck with it, and hope the savings pile up in a hurry.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:11 AM 07-23-2016
Wow, good for you to work that out.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 11:07 AM 07-23-2016
Scho, do you think if anyone found out that they would complain to your boss? I know that if one of my direct reports was camping out in their office and somebody found out, I would have a dozen people in my office the next day complaining.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:36 PM 07-23-2016
Bad Idea jeans
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:41 PM 07-23-2016
That looks good man.

Personally I need some space to get away. But you should be piling up the cash.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 929
« First < 81415161718 192021222868118518 > Last »
Up