ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1008 of 1203
« First < 850890895899810041005100610071008 1009101010111012101810581108 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Sorce 11:48 AM 05-22-2020
Simple lunch today, tater tots, beer cheese topped with bacon and sour cream.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:27 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Sorce:
Simple lunch today, tater tots, beer cheese topped with bacon and sour cream.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Interested in learning more about your beer cheese. I lean more towards a cheese sauce over baked on grated cheese with my tot/nachos which seems to put me in the minority around here.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:36 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I have no idea why, but for some reason I just can't get a scratch biscuit recipe I like.

Though my last effort was undermined by a (I shit you not) 15 year old box of baking powder and a 10 year old can of cream of tartar. So I'm thinking maybe take another shot at that one. That baking powder has somehow survived 4 moves.

The problem is that I don't bake, my wife does. And ordinarily if I DO back, there's yeast involved so even shitty baking powder will rise with the good yeast I have for pizza dough.

But this didn't have any yeast in it and the baking powder was clearly dead. The cream of tartar is there as something of a catalyst as well and was almost certainly shot as well. So yeah...things didn't work out.

Think I'm gonna take another stab at it with fresh ingredients. Man, if I ever find a way to duplicate Hardees biscuits, Imma get REAL fat.
Similar. My wife is on oven and mostly indoor cooking although I try and flex some on the gas cooktop with mostly sauces. Those were her preferred recipe which I find a bit dense for my wheelhouse. Seems biscuits can be super divisive. My ideal is a soft flaky biscuit with a crusty enough shell to withstand sausage gravy, piece of fried chicken with a mound of slaw or a minimum of bacon and eggs, which I'm discovering is easier said than done. Lot of these breakfast sandwiches places around here seem to be pushing out unsweetened scones fronting like biscuits which ruins it for me.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:54 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Similar. My wife is on oven and mostly indoor cooking although I try and flex some on the gas cooktop with mostly sauces. Those were her preferred recipe which I find a bit dense for my wheelhouse. Seems biscuits can be super divisive. My ideal is a soft flaky biscuit with a crusty enough shell to withstand sausage gravy, piece of fried chicken with a mound of slaw or a minimum of bacon and eggs, which I'm discovering is easier said than done. Lot of these breakfast sandwiches places around here seem to be pushing out unsweetened scones fronting like biscuits which ruins it for me.
Yeah, scones are too dry.

I liked this recipe because I thought that the cream of tartar as a catalyst is what gives you a more chewy texture w/ snickerdoodles and I like my biscuits to have that chewiness to them. Old fashioned buttermilk biscuits and stuff more break and crumble when you eat them - I prefer a little more dense and chewy. I think the logic works if your ingredients weren't purchased 3 Presidents ago...
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:57 PM 05-22-2020
You need to track down the pastry chef at the Waldorf Astoria. . . . open a spite store.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:59 PM 05-22-2020

I liked this recipe because I thought that the cream of tartar as a catalyst is what gives you a more chewy texture w/ snickerdoodles and I like my biscuits to have that chewiness to them. Old fashioned buttermilk biscuits and stuff more break and crumble when you eat them - I prefer a little more dense and chewy. I think the logic works if your ingredients weren't purchased 3 Presidents ago...
Our cream of tartar didn't survive this last move purge. Not sure her exact recipe but cream of tartar was on my store run list.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:52 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Interested in learning more about your beer cheese. I lean more towards a cheese sauce over baked on grated cheese with my tot/nachos which seems to put me in the minority around here.
In case some haven't tried it, Welsh rarebit cheddar (Irish) cheese sauce is your basic awesome.

http://www.therecipehunters.com/wels...SAAEgLfEPD_BwE

Essentially a white cheddar/ale cheese sauce. Used to make a big batch of this and divide into 1 cup portions to freeze for up to a year. Great on steaks. Traditionally poured on London broil or toasted Irish soda bread. A part of me is curious how it would be on those funeral potatoes . . .

I typically use Guinness Stout (not extra Stout), Smithwick's Irish Ale for something a little different. Any darker Irish ale will work though.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 03:05 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
You need to track down the pastry chef at the Waldorf Astoria. . . . open a spite store.
Who needs to go through all that shit while eating a scone.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:14 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
In case some haven't tried it, Welsh rarebit cheddar (Irish) cheese sauce is your basic awesome.

http://www.therecipehunters.com/wels...SAAEgLfEPD_BwE

Essentially a white cheddar/ale cheese sauce. Used to make a big batch of this and divide into 1 cup portions to freeze for up to a year. Great on steaks. Traditionally poured on London broil or toasted Irish soda bread. A part of me is curious how it would be on those funeral potatoes . . .

I typically use Guinness Stout (not extra Stout), Smithwick's Irish Ale for something a little different. Any darker Irish ale will work though.
I've taken to making my own 'mexican restaurant' white cheese dip. Y'know the stuff - the white cheese dip you get at every tex mex restaurant around. Nothing remotely authentic about it, but it's damn good.

Here's just the first recipe I can find for it to get started:

https://www.eatingonadime.com/mexican-white-cheese-dip/

Note - this HAS to be white American cheese. Not white cheddar, not Monterey jack. Not even that velveeta queso blanco. Look for white american cheese - it's normally pre-sliced over by the regular Kraft american slices you throw on hamburgers. If not, deli counters will have it.

Once you make a batch or two, there's no need for a recipe. It's brainless and you can do it in a microwave (which I prefer anyway for melting cheese to keep it from getting too hot, too fast).
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:22 PM 05-22-2020
I've taken to making my own 'mexican restaurant' white cheese dip. Y'know the stuff - the white cheese dip you get at every tex mex restaurant around. Nothing remotely authentic about it, but it's damn good.

Once you make a batch or two, there's no need for a recipe. It's brainless and you can do it in a microwave (which I prefer anyway for melting cheese to keep it from getting too hot, too fast).
Oh, I love that shit. You can put that stuff on just about anything and make it better.

I used to buy some of that cheese sauce from this Tex-Mex joint near my house in south STL, and one of the things it was great on was English-Mexican poached eggs. Toasted and buttered English muffin, some pico de gallo, taco ground beef, poached egg (fried egg if you're lazy), a slice or two of roasted japs, and healthy dollop of that cheese sauce. So good.
[Reply]
patteeu 03:24 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Oh, I love that shit. You can put that stuff on just about anything and make it better.

I used to buy some of that cheese sauce from this Tex-Mex joint near my house in south STL, and one of the things it was great on was English-Mexican poached eggs. Toasted and buttered English muffin, some pico de gallo, taco ground beef, poached egg (fried egg if you're lazy), a slice or two of roasted japs, and healthy dollop of that cheese sauce. So good.
Are you a professional cooker?
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:31 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Are you a professional cooker?
Nope.

Closest I got to that was assistant cook at summer camp when I was 17.

But my dad put himself through college as a sous chef, and he started teaching me to cook when I was 6 or so. First thing he taught me to cook was this Korean chicken soup. Then, of all things, French donuts a few weeks later.

My dad was a sous chef in an American-based restaurant so his tastes were pretty varied compared to most Koreans at the time. And he was always experimenting with recipes. He'd ask me things like, "what do you think? Honey or molasses?" "lemon rind or lemongrass?" Etc. Through pure osmosis and my father's love of different cuisines I learned how to cook.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:32 PM 05-22-2020

Note - this HAS to be white American cheese. Not white cheddar, not Monterey jack. Not even that velveeta queso blanco. Look for white american cheese - it's normally pre-sliced over by the regular Kraft american slices you throw on hamburgers. If not, deli counters will have it.

I'm in the midst of making my own Mexican crema for my Baja fish tacos tommorrow night.

It's very simple. Can't wait to see what it tastes like.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:33 PM 05-22-2020
Picked up the goods to replicate the Shake Shack cheese sauce this weekend

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...-sauce-recipe/
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:36 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I'm in the midst of making my own Mexican crema for my Baja fish tacos tommorrow night.

It's very simple. Can't wait to see what it tastes like.
I tried regular crema once and ultimately I'm betting it was just too cold when I set it out because it never did thicken up into something usable. I should take another stab at it one of these days. You can make something like that with cilantro and lime that's awfully good.

I need to do Mojo again. Marinate a flank steak in that stuff for 24 hours and put it on a rocket-hot cast iron and serve it with cilantro rice and black beans and you're just living your best life.
[Reply]
Page 1008 of 1203
« First < 850890895899810041005100610071008 1009101010111012101810581108 > Last »
Up