ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Media Center>First Rock & Roll concert you ever saw?
BigRedChief 01:33 AM 07-19-2020
Share whatever you want of the milestone

Oct. 2nd 1974. The New York Dolls and Lynyrd Skynyrd in Springfield, Missouri in what Was a bowling alley but I think it’s a Church now on Glenstone. Not too far from chestnut expressway. They both blew my mind. Opened up possibilities.
[Reply]
scho63 12:28 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
How many concert stubs ya'll got?
I don't have any but my brother has about 200 from all the shows he has seen, including ones with me.

Phil Collins and Genesis at Veterans Stadium in Philly back in the late 80's or early 90's was incredible. We wormed our way right up to the stage on the right hand side.
[Reply]
Third Eye 12:45 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
I think this is their yearbook photo. Wild.

[img][/img]
That is pretty fucking wild.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 12:48 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
All these years and I just fairly recently learned from my mother that she saw The Who at Shawnee Mission South.

You read that right....The Who played SM south’s prom (in 68 I believe).

Can you imagine??!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um, you don't by chance resemble Daltrey, Townshend, Entwistle or Moon do you?
[Reply]
LiveSteam 01:52 PM 07-22-2020
I seen Justin Bieber with my 9 year old daughter.
Concert= Meh..
Omaha mothers = smokin hot that night.
Shocked is an understatement
[Reply]
DJJasonp 02:33 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Um, you don't by chance resemble Daltrey, Townshend, Entwistle or Moon do you?

Heh....come to think of it..... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DeepPurple 02:44 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
I've seen Dennis DeYoung a couple times in small venues in the past 3-5 years.

The last time I saw him, he had just turned 71 I think.

The guy still has the chops, in his freakin' 70s. The band he travels with has a Tommy Shaw clone that does a pretty damn good Tommy Shaw!
There's some videos of Dennis and his solo show on youtube, I've seen several of them. He still has the voice, although his white hair is a little out of place. I love when he does Castle Walls from Grand Illusion, I don't think Styx still does that song. It makes me think of the movie Halloween, I swear John Carpenter stole that sound for the movie, and I don't understand why Styx didn't sue them a long time ago.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:12 PM 07-22-2020
Here's a couple more I thought of.

Zonked out and missed most of the show: Frank Zappa 1985 at the Civic Center in Atlanta. My friend and I drove from Savannah to Atlanta four hours, drinking beer the whole way. Then had to go to some record store on the northside of town to get our tickets. Then go downtown and find the civic center, didn't have a map and no internet or GPS back then. Pulled into the Fox and the marquee said "Pat Metheny Tonight", I'm thinking, man I like to see that. I asked the parking lot guy where's the Civic Center, he pointed and said two blocks over there. We walked in and they a bar set up in the lobby. I wasn't use to buying drinks at the show, in Savannah alcohol isn't allowed. I bought a burbon & coke and went and sat down in a nice theater type seat, drank my drink and passed out. My friend woke me up when the band was playing "Whipping Post', it was their encore. It sounded great but I missed everything else.

Best sounding show ever: Ambrosia at the Rainbow Theater in Denver. 1979 visiting my former brother-in-law and we drove by this place at a shopping center called The Rainbow. The marquee said, Tuesday "Journey", Wednesday "Blondie" Thursday "Ambrosia". I had just bought their album Life beyond LA. This was when Ambrosia still rocked and hadn't released that 180 album yet. The Rainbow was like a 1500 seat movie theater converted to a music showplace. Everything was padded or covered in fabric and it all red. The soundman was in the old projection booth. When the band played, it was like listening to a loud record, it was so perfect sounding. Ambrosia played "life Beyond LA" for the encore for about ten minutes, they were smokin'.

Last show I attended: Molly Hatchet January 8th 2020 this year in The Villages where I live. I had saw Molly Hatchet back in '82 with Danny Joe Brown the original singer, he had just returned after a solo album. Now there were no original members in 2020, in fact only Dave Holland is still alive and he quit 30 years ago, all the others have died, even the singer that replaced Danny died last year. They have a really good singer now, and the two oldest members are the keyboard played from '84 and guitarist Bobby Ingram member since '87 and he owns the name Molly Hatchet. He's now having to play 3 guitar parts himself. I was in the front row with a crowd of 800, and it was so loud I almost got sick in the first minute. My ears adjusted and they put on a great show. Dreams I'll Never See by them is one of my all time favorite songs and they rocked it.

Most quietest show I ever saw: Peter Gabriel 1993 at the Capitol Center Washington DC. I had become a fan of his after hearing Solsbury Hill on the radio about 1977. I had known him ever since seeing Genesis do "Watcher of the Skies" on Midnight Special back in '73. I joined his British Fan club in the early 80's, I had to send a 5 pound note to England every year for dues. I played his live album from '84 every night for about a year. I don't know what it was, but I liked his sound. When "SO" came out, his song Sledgehammer kind of turned me off, a little too poppy, but I was glad he got some attention. I saw him do 6 songs in '86 during Amnesty Int'l Festival in Atlanta, so in '93 wanted to see his whole show. I kept saying to my wife, I wish they would turn it up. Really had no volume to the music and it didn't grab me like it should have. I don't know if that was normal at this shows, but I was disappointed. When he came out with "SO", his photo on the cover a lot of people said we looked alike, and we are the same age. Now when I see him, I think, what happened?
[Reply]
MatriculatingHank 08:43 PM 07-22-2020
One more story: I'm a huge guitar freak. One of my favorite players throughout the 70s was Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush. I got to see them 4 times in Memphis. This one particular show was my fave. I got to move up to the front row during his set and took some photos with a small instant camera. Frank handed me a pick as he was leaving the stage. That was as huge to me as it would be for Patrick Mahomes to hand you guys a football...

[Reply]
Frosty 08:45 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Opening act didn't fit with headliner. The Fixx opening for the Moody Blues in Savannah 1987. The crowd was a classic rock crowd in Georgia. Most people had no clue who the Fixx was, I really enjoyed the Fixx at that show.
As I mentioned before, .38 Special opening for Rush was an odd pairing. However, on paper, the one that didn't seem to fit was Missing Persons opening for Angel City. Missing Persons actually rocked hard, though, and gave a great live show. Plus the lead singer was mega hot.

My loudest show was, by far, Motorhead. I am pretty sure about 60% of my hearing loss is due to them. It took almost two weeks for my ears to return to "normal" after the show and we had left a little early because it was so painful to be there.

The next loudest was probably Front Line Assembly but that was due to being right next to the speakers in a small club. Fortunately, that one was mostly bass which doesn't cause as much damage as loud higher frequencies.

I really wish I had worn hearing protection back then. It wasn't "cool", I guess.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:22 AM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Frosty:
As I mentioned before, .38 Special opening for Rush was an odd pairing. However, on paper, the one that didn't seem to fit was Missing Persons opening for Angel City. Missing Persons actually rocked hard, though, and gave a great live show. Plus the lead singer was mega hot.

My loudest show was, by far, Motorhead. I am pretty sure about 60% of my hearing loss is due to them. It took almost two weeks for my ears to return to "normal" after the show and we had left a little early because it was so painful to be there.

The next loudest was probably Front Line Assembly but that was due to being right next to the speakers in a small club. Fortunately, that one was mostly bass which doesn't cause as much damage as loud higher frequencies.

I really wish I had worn hearing protection back then. It wasn't "cool", I guess.
I like 38 Special and Rush of course, so I would of gone to that myself, but you're right it's not a match made in heaven. I was going to see 38 Special in August at an outdoor show in our golf carts but they've cancelled the event last week. I think it was lack of ticket sales, it was $100 a golf cart.

Dale Bozzio the singer of Missing Persons has seen better times. During those years she was married to the drummer Terry Bozzio but they divorced in the late 80's. Terry has played or produced everybody from Frank Zappa to Korn, he has a ton of credits.

Here is Dale Bozzio at the Whiskey in 2017

Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank:
I'm a huge guitar freak. One of my favorite players throughout the 70s was Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush. I got to see them 4 times in Memphis. This one particular show was my fave. I got to move up to the front row during his set and took some photos with a small instant camera. Frank handed me a pick as he was leaving the stage. That was as huge to me as it would be for Patrick Mahomes to hand you guys a football.
What I find odd is probably his best known radio hit "Strange Dreams" that nowhere on youtube can I find a live video of him playing that song. That song came out in 1980 on the album What's Next, so there's been plenty of opportunity for somebody with a camera. I've got over 8,000 live videos on youtube in 40 folders, I play live videos now instead records or CD's anymore. On a 75" TV with a big surround sound, it's as good as a show.

[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:42 AM 07-23-2020
My first live rock concert was Metallica at sandstone when they were touring for the Reload. That album wasn't great, but they played a bunch of stuff from ride the lightening and black album. Saw a lot of tits and smoked a doobie. 10/10 would rock again.

edit: I believe this was in 97 or 98.
[Reply]
scho63 02:15 PM 07-23-2020
The WORST concert I ever saw was Rod Stewart at the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel NJ with an ex-GF about mid 90's.

He had laryngitis, should have NEVER performed, sat in a chair the whole night and only did about 1/2 a concert. When it was over everyone looked at each other and said 'What the hell did we just witness?"

It was a fucking trainwreck.

Ironically the BEST concert I ever saw was there as well with Duran Duran and the same ex-GF. I got front row center seat and they knocked it out of the park with the songs, the costume, set designs and audience engagement.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 02:33 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
The WORST concert I ever saw was Rod Stewart at the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel NJ with an ex-GF about mid 90's.

He had laryngitis, should have NEVER performed, sat in a chair the whole night and only did about 1/2 a concert. When it was over everyone looked at each other and said 'What the hell did we just witness?"

It was a fucking trainwreck.

Ironically the BEST concert I ever saw was there as well with Duran Duran and the same ex-GF. I got front row center seat and they knocked it out of the park with the songs, the costume, set designs and audience engagement.
Omg, I remember going to see Metallica in St Louis was probably either Justice For All tour or Black Album. We all had tickets except for one of our friends. He stole his moms Rod Stewart ticket and we put him in the middle of our crowd. They just tore the ticket without looking at it. His mom was pretty pissed when she found out that’s what happened. We drank a bottle of 2 fingers tequila in line before going in. We rolled a half oz of weed into 3 HUGE joints. We were smoking and the girl sitting next to us with her boyfriend asked if she could hit it. I said yes but your boyfriend can’t. She smoked out, he looked angry. Dick move for sure.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 03:50 PM 07-23-2020
I loved me some Dale Bozzio back in the day
[Reply]
crazycoffey 04:58 PM 07-23-2020
Sandstone amphitheater, the crue; dr feel good tour. Lita ford and bonham opened.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up