ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Media Center>First Rock & Roll concert you ever saw?
BigRedChief 01:33 AM 07-19-2020
Share whatever you want of the milestone

Oct. 2nd 1974. The New York Dolls and Lynyrd Skynyrd in Springfield, Missouri in what Was a bowling alley but I think it’s a Church now on Glenstone. Not too far from chestnut expressway. They both blew my mind. Opened up possibilities.
[Reply]
Dayze 07:24 PM 07-21-2020
Van Halen . Maybe circa 1990 or so. .

no name band Alice In Chains opened for the,. Half the crowd, die hard 80s arena type rock, the other half weren’t sure whether or not they liked this new AIC band or not.

AIC, got a lukewarm reception. At best. After the finished Their set , during the intermission until VH...I swear, there was this overall sound of an entire amphitheater at Sandstone having the same discussion “....dude. What was that. Who was that band. Dude....that was sort of ...awesome”

Not my first. But saw Megadeth in Fresno maybe 1999. In line getting beer, and this thunderous sound cam from the stage. No name band at the time called Sevendust. Blew Megadeth out of the water that night in terms of sound and energy. Entire metal audience was jumping around in unison when they were on. I’d never seen that at a metal show before. Usually just the “woooooo” arms up Devil horns and thTs it,

Can still hear and feel some of those bass lines from Sevendust . Black is what they opened with I think crowd spent the first 45 seconds like..what is this......then it was game on. Had the entire crowd in their ha dis the rest of the night. Killed it.
Love megadeth, but they mailed it in that night. Friedman literally stood in one place the entire show. Like Mick Mars (but at least Mick has a reason to). Mustaine looked like he was singing at the floor the entire show. Menza I believe had already left the band.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:09 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank:
I lost over half of the ones that I had. Still have over 50 or so.
Most of them list the price of $6.50 for the show.

I saw The Stones, The Who, Queen, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath,
Rush,Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult, Kiss, ACDC, Boston, Kansas,
and MANY others in concert starting in 1975. Again, most of these
shows were $6.50 to $7.00 in cost.

Here's a FEW stubs that I located for now. I'll try to find more later...

Holy shit! I was at the KISS, REO Speedwagon, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Queen - News of the World, Rush - that was Moving Pictures tour and they did not play Witch Hunt because of the heavy orchestration - Jesus man we lived through the same times. I cannot believe you were at these same shows! Just unreal! Oh I just noticed - BOC! Was there too.
Rock 103!
[Reply]
Dartgod 08:11 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
How many concert stubs ya'll got?
I have a few. These are the ones I put in a scrapbook. There are a bunch more recent ones in a box somewhere.

[Reply]
kcxiv 10:41 PM 07-21-2020
hmmm... I dont know if its exactly a rock concert, but it was 95 at the Sacramento Fairgrounds, Beastie Boys and Bad Brains! If not that one, then 98 at the Family Values tour.

Korn
Rammstein
Ice Cube
Limp Bizkit
Orgy
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 04:32 AM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Van Halen . Maybe circa 1990 or so. .

no name band Alice In Chains opened for the,. Half the crowd, die hard 80s arena type rock, the other half weren’t sure whether or not they liked this new AIC band or not.

AIC, got a lukewarm reception. At best. After the finished Their set , during the intermission until VH...I swear, there was this overall sound of an entire amphitheater at Sandstone having the same discussion “....dude. What was that. Who was that band. Dude....that was sort of ...awesome”

Not my first. But saw Megadeth in Fresno maybe 1999. In line getting beer, and this thunderous sound cam from the stage. No name band at the time called Sevendust. Blew Megadeth out of the water that night in terms of sound and energy. Entire metal audience was jumping around in unison when they were on. I’d never seen that at a metal show before. Usually just the “woooooo” arms up Devil horns and thTs it,

Can still hear and feel some of those bass lines from Sevendust . Black is what they opened with I think crowd spent the first 45 seconds like..what is this......then it was game on. Had the entire crowd in their ha dis the rest of the night. Killed it.
Love megadeth, but they mailed it in that night. Friedman literally stood in one place the entire show. Like Mick Mars (but at least Mick has a reason to). Mustaine looked like he was singing at the floor the entire show. Menza I believe had already left the band.
I was able to see Sevendust 5 times on their opening tour, they just kept coming by KC. All of those were in small venues, at least one was with Coalchamber. Just fucking amazing live. I saw them later on, maybe 3-5 years later, and they were terrible. Every member but the drummer was so strung out they had to go back stage after every song to take another snort. Perhaps the worst I've ever been let down by a band.
[Reply]
Boiled Chicken 06:32 AM 07-22-2020
Mine was 88 or 89, living in California at the time. Went to see Monsters of Rock at Candlestick. Van Halen (Haggar) headlined, Kingdome Come, Dokken, Metallica, Scorps. Not bad for a first.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:59 AM 07-22-2020
Mine is pretty obscure, but The Mighty Mighty Bosstones around 93-94 at The Regency in Springfield. I believe I was 14. My much older brother was a bouncer there and got me in early for soundcheck while everyone else had to wait outside, I thought I was the shit. Pretty sure it was an 18 an up show too.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 06:59 AM 07-22-2020
My first concert was Blink 182's Take Off Your Pants and Jacket Tour stop at Sandstone on July 13, 2001. New Found Glory was with them and sucked ass live, but Blink was awesome and their childish stage banter had my 12 year old brain cracking up. Great memories.
[Reply]
Renegade 07:23 AM 07-22-2020
Now you can't get a ticket stub. Everything is digital. Miss the good ol' days.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:07 AM 07-22-2020
All these years and I just fairly recently learned from my mother that she saw The Who at Shawnee Mission South.

You read that right....The Who played SM south’s prom (in 68 I believe).

Can you imagine??!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KurtCobain 08:16 AM 07-22-2020
This thread really shows the age of the board.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:54 AM 07-22-2020
Some odd things I noticed at some concerts I attended.

Opening act blowing away the main act: Canadian band Saga was way better than Billy Squier in 1982 in Savannah, Georgia. I went out and bought Saga Worlds Apart album the next day.

Opening act didn't fit with headliner. The Fixx opening for the Moody Blues in Savannah 1987. The crowd was a classic rock crowd in Georgia. Most people had no clue who the Fixx was, I really enjoyed the Fixx at that show.

Seeing a band before their time: 1969 at a club in St. Petersburg, Florida called the Electric Zoo. The band that was there was Cat Mother & the Allnight Newsboy, they had a hit on the radio that was sort old time rock 'n roll song. The band playing when we walked in, was the Allman Brothers. I saw two drummers, a guy with long blonde hair playing a red guitar like crazy and some dude sitting at the keyboards singing. They were great and when Cat Mother came out, we all started yelling to bring the other band, which did come out and play until closing.

Seeing a band live the same week as on TV: 1968 my first concert I watched the Vanilla Fudge on the Ed Sullivan show and then that week saw them at the Armory in St. Petersburg. Carmen Appice was the drummer, and they were the hardest rock band a that time.

Seeing my idols: My favorite band was Grand Funk Railroad from '69 until about 1973 when they turned into a pop machine with Were an American Band. Mark, Don and Mel regrouped in 1998 and toured and I caught their act at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland. They were fantastic and I didn't mind hearing the pop hits either.

Disappointing show: Pink Floyd 1988 in Atlanta at the Omni. I don't know, they just seemed boring and tired. Maybe without Roger Waters they don't have the spark, in fact I think his shows are better than the David Gilmour shows.

Seeing an opening act that became bigger than the headliner: 1984 seeing Bon Jovi open for the Scorpions. At the time Love at First Sting was a big seller and the Scorps were great. This opening act had one hit, She's a Little Runaway and the singer seemed like some poser with his big hair and fishnet shirt. We all were chanting for the Scorpions while they were playing.

Loudest show ever: 1984 Savannah, Georgia, Gary Moore, Krokus (Headhunter) and Def Leppard (Pyromania). My head hurt for 3 days. Krokus and DL kept trying to get the crowd on one side to yell louder than the otherside. Otherwise it was a great show.

Seeing a concert and not knowing the opening act: 1982 Foreigner 4 tour, opening band was Bryan Adams. This guy in jeans and a white t-shirt and a crewcut was singing, didnt' care for him at all. I think he had one hit at the time, Summer of '69. Foreigner was Great.

Best theatrical show ever: Jethro Tull 1972 at Savannah on the Thick as Brick Tour. I can't explain how great this show was, so much going on with people dressed like rabbits hopping around, big telephones ringing, and Ian Anderson playing his flute standing on one leg. It was great. Saw him again in 1995 with Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Both acts were tired out and worn looking, lousy show that time.

Big show with no opening act: 1995 Boston Greatest Hits Tour at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland. Both singers were there, Brad Delp and Fran Cosmos, band sounded perfect, lights and everything else was great!! No opening act, Boston was it, but they fantastic.

Best Vocals at a show: 1996 Styx Return to Paradise tour at Merriweather Post Pavillion. Both Dennis DeYoung and Tommy Shaw were fantastic singing, all the original members were there except the drummer. Great show and they skipped Mr. Roboto songs and played a lot of early stuff. I saw Styx in 1980 and they were better this time.

Somewhat disappointed show: 1972 Deep Purple, I immediately took to their music because I love great rock singers, and Ian Gillan was just that. From what I can remember, it was Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord jamming it seemed like forever, Space Truckin, Highway Star and Ian Gillan was basically standing to the side and with maracas doing nothing, such a waste of talent.

Smallest crowd at a show: REM 1985 on the Fables of the Reconstruction tour. Savannah, Georgia, yes Georgia where REM is from. However, Savannah is a classic rock town and REM was fairly new. I loved their debut Murmur and played it all the time. The crowd at Savannah Civic Center was 1200 people, no seats were used, everyone was the arena floor. I got about 5' in front of the singer Michael Sipe, this is when he still had long hiair. They were really great and the lighting was subdued purple lights, you could hardly see them on stage. Stipe at that time reminded me of Jim Morrison the way he acted on stage.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:23 AM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:

Best Vocals at a show: 1996 Styx Return to Paradise tour at Merriweather Post Pavillion. Both Dennis DeYoung and Tommy Shaw were fantastic singing, all the original members were there except the drummer. Great show and they skipped Mr. Roboto songs and played a lot of early stuff. I saw Styx in 1980 and they were better this time.
I've seen Dennis DeYoung a couple times in small venues in the past 3-5 years.

The last time I saw him, he had just turned 71 I think.

The guy still has the chops, in his freakin' 70s. The band he travels with has a Tommy Shaw clone that does a pretty damn good Tommy Shaw!
[Reply]
EPodolak 11:21 AM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
All these years and I just fairly recently learned from my mother that she saw The Who at Shawnee Mission South.

You read that right....The Who played SM south’s prom (in 68 I believe).

Can you imagine??!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is their yearbook photo. Wild.

[img][/img]
[Reply]
chefsos 11:53 AM 07-22-2020
Heart, in Baltimore, 1986. Go West (I think) opened. I wasn't surprised that their Stairway to Heaven cover blew people away at the Kennedy Center recently, because they did it back then too, and crushed it.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up