ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 173
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:07 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by rico:
I'm watching the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why with my wife...I'm hooked... I didn't think I would care for it, but was wrong... It's a really interesting/touching show so far with fantastic music.
it took a bit to get going. started feeling like an MA 90210

Originally Posted by kcxiv:
the "scene" was so brutal, i had to look away. It was a wtf moment thats for sure.
it was cringe worthy. the emotion was there, but again, it took a while.

I've heard that...I'm on the episode 7 (Zach) episode right now and caught a glimpse of what that scene will consist of when Clay was hallucinating at the basketball game.
aside from the suicide scene, the rest was simply HBO type drama, almost pg even. no nudity.

Originally Posted by kcxiv:
parents needs to make their young teens watch this show all the way through. you learn alot about todays teens. Alot of lessons can be taught.
I agree 100%.
i agree teenagers should watch, but there is a difference between showing a depressed teen this, versus helping your perceived good child notice the signs of others.

no one under 16 should watch the last episode without a parent.

now, having just wrapped this up, i went straight to episode 18 of twin peaks season two. there is a scene where agent cooper gets a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo.

there is as well a scene where clay orders a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo from skye. fucking weird coincidence, hey! :-)

ETA: i did while watching this series hark back to the days of twin peaks, which would prove my point i guess.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 03:31 AM 04-20-2017
Just started season 2 of The Missing. Season 1 was very good, season 2 looks very promising. Only 2 episodes in so far but really liking it.

[Reply]
rico 06:26 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
it took a bit to get going. started feeling like an MA 90210

it was cringe worthy. the emotion was there, but again, it took a while.

aside from the suicide scene, the rest was simply HBO type drama, almost pg even. no nudity.

i agree teenagers should watch, but there is a difference between showing a depressed teen this, versus helping your perceived good child notice the signs of others.

no one under 16 should watch the last episode without a parent.

now, having just wrapped this up, i went straight to episode 18 of twin peaks season two. there is a scene where agent cooper gets a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo.

there is as well a scene where clay orders a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo from skye. ****ing weird coincidence, hey! :-)

ETA: i did while watching this series hark back to the days of twin peaks, which would prove my point i guess.
Speaking of Twin Peaks and HBO...The show "Carnivale" gives me some huge Twon Peaks/Lynch vibes.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:48 PM 04-20-2017
Speaking of Twin Peaks and HBO...The show "Carnivale" gives me some huge Twon Peaks/Lynch vibes.
another show cancelled too soon IMO :-)
[Reply]
patteeu 02:16 PM 04-23-2017
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
We started watching about 2 months ago and we're now halfway through season 2. Definitely makes you like and dislike every character. Kevin is my favorite while the wife's favorite is Lip.
I just started watching Shameless too. The description didn't sound that appealing to me, but I was hooked after the first episode. My favorite is probably Lip, but I really like Debbie and Ian too.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:46 PM 04-23-2017
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I just started watching Shameless too. The description didn't sound that appealing to me, but I was hooked after the first episode. My favorite is probably Lip, but I really like Debbie and Ian too.
Shameless will try your patience, but continue to pay it off eventually.

At times it's the darkest thing on TV, but in many ways it comes to feel like an actual dark side of your extended family. It's simultaneously more outrageous than you can imagine a part of your life, and yet still performed and plotted well enough that it seems in some way like a quasi-documentary or voyeuristic look into some reality somewhere.

People will do stupid things, and instead of going around afterwards angry about stupid plot points or stupid writers, you find yourself actually angry at the character, like a real person let you down.

Then in the next moment, there will be something totally farcical, but you don't mind because it's usually humorous.
[Reply]
unlurking 04:59 PM 04-23-2017
The original British version of Shameless is so much better.
[Reply]
Nickhead 05:19 PM 04-23-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
they each have their own qualities, but there are way more cringe worthy moments in the UK version. the british quips are priceless. i have made previous posts about it, but this is the type of show if you binge watch too much you feel like going out and bashing someone's head in :-)
[Reply]
patteeu 05:22 PM 04-23-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
they each have their own qualities, but there are way more cringe worthy moments in the UK version. the british quips are priceless. i have made previous posts about it, but this is the type of show if you binge watch too much you feel like going out and bashing someone's head in :-)
Sounds like ChiefsPlanet at times.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:34 AM 04-25-2017
In almost all cases I'd agree with that. With Shameless the impossibly thick accents of many of the characters combined with the amazing performances of Macy make the US version much better.

I've read comix for 30 years and been a horror film fan for just as long but Frank might be the most immoral character I've ever seen...
[Reply]
unlurking 08:35 PM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:
In almost all cases I'd agree with that. With Shameless the impossibly thick accents of many of the characters combined with the amazing performances of Macy make the US version much better.

I've read comix for 30 years and been a horror film fan for just as long but Frank might be the most immoral character I've ever seen...
I'll give you Macy as Frank is excellent, even though I liked Threlfall's performance better. is drunk portrayal is hands down the better performance. Unfortunately I can't stand the actors playing Fiona or Ian. Absolutely hate Fiona in the US version.

The fact that I was watching the British version before the US version came out kind of set the characters for me.
[Reply]
Nickhead 08:38 PM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:

UK Frank vs US Bundy who is worse :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:45 PM 04-25-2017
I can't stand the actors playing Fiona or Ian. Absolutely hate Fiona in the US version.
I'm sure you're referring to the actress' performance, rather than the character herself, but have your gotten to;

Spoiler!

I was ready to go Mighty Joe Mixon on her after that episode.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:05 PM 04-25-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I'm sure you're referring to the actress' performance, rather than the character herself, but have your gotten to;

Spoiler!

I was ready to go Mighty Joe Mixon on her after that episode.
Yeah, that was an extremely dark run of episodes. Probably another reason I liked the British version better too. The US one just seemed to be trying to hard to be dark. I stopped watching shortly after that.
[Reply]
Nickhead 09:16 PM 04-25-2017

:-)
[Reply]
Page 28 of 173
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128 > Last »
Up