ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 116 of 324
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126166216 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:16 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Nate Taylor is convinced Ford is staying, so maybe that “trade” everyone is hoping for is a mirage.

I really wish there was a way to get out of the Berry mess. That contract is handcuffing the roster big time.
I read that article—I wouldn’t put too much stock into his thoughts there. He also said he figured Bailey would be back while only citing his 6 sacks and 10 QB hits as the reasoning.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:27 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I read that article—I wouldn’t put too much stock into his thoughts there. He also said he figured Bailey would be back while only citing his 6 sacks and 10 QB hits as the reasoning.
yeah, man. We can't keep all these high paid players and still get new ones.
[Reply]
O.city 07:28 PM 01-31-2019
Taylor usually has a pretty decent idea so I wouldn’t dismiss it
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:41 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Taylor usually has a pretty decent idea so I wouldn’t dismiss it
Eh maybe but that article didn’t give me any reason to feel that way. He only cited stats and age really for why he thought they’d keep Ford.
[Reply]
O.city 08:05 PM 01-31-2019
Eh maybe but that article didn’t give me any reason to feel that way. He only cited stats and age really for why he thought they’d keep Ford.
What would you expect him to say?

“Andy told me they’re going to keep him”
[Reply]
Chief Northman 08:40 PM 01-31-2019
You read his Q and A? He elaborates more in there.

Ford is an asset right now for two reasons: He is cost controlled on the tag ($15-16 million for one year). The Chiefs can trot out their most productive pass rusher and give him one year to prove he can flourish in a 4-3. He did it in college. The second reason that I believe a lot of fans are “hoping” for is that Ford fetches a solid trade offer on the tag. I have my doubts the Chiefs get any offers of a 1st, but more likely a 2nd round pick +. I’m doubtful you match Ford’s production without either having to use your 1st round pick on an edge defender, or trying to bring in a guy like Brandon Graham short term, or maybe Ziggy Ansah. Problem is you are still spending big money on players that have a track record, but are older, less productive and new to the team. Ford is a devil the Chiefs know.

The bigger issue is what to do with Berry/Houston. There really is nothing the Chiefs can do about Berry. I still think Houston is a good player that can succeed within the scheme change, but without a restructure of his deal, there will be no room for him. All three likely cannot be on the roster at the same time moving forward. Houston appears the most likely to be the odd man out. Ford is younger, cheaper, and offers the ability for the Chiefs to be able to draft positions around him. Ford leaves? You are having to draft his replacement immediately with likely your top pick. Risky proposition.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:49 PM 01-31-2019
Sounds like speculation, just as we do here. At least he understands the options.
[Reply]
BossChief 08:51 PM 01-31-2019
I’m not sure I’d trade Ford for a 2. It would need to be a 1.

The key to today’s defense is pass rush and turnovers.

Ford provides both.

We don’t win the division without his forced fumbles in big games.

If his back is not an issue anymore, he’s gonna have a streak of big years like this one.

Lots of people mad at him (rightfully so) for the NE game, but have forgotten how many huge plays the guy gave us this year.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:53 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
What would you expect him to say?

“Andy told me they’re going to keep him”
Well, no, because I highly doubt Andy even talks to him about that stuff personally. He might have a source or two in the FO that could lead him to believe that, but he never really says anything to suggest that either.

Everything he said is just him looking at the facts of the situation and connecting dots in his mind. Where I think he is wrong is that he apparently views Ford as an all world edge player, and I’m not sure Veach will feel the same way. He will see him as a solid all around player, not just the star speed rusher.

Doesn’t mean they won’t keep him, I just don’t think Taylor is hinting at any sourced knowledge that he has.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:55 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:

Ford provides both.

Really? Given the injury history, low ceiling, single dimension of play and slow development, I'd take a mid to low 2 in heartbeat.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:58 PM 01-31-2019
I also think it’s a stretch to call Ford ‘cost controlled’ on Taylor’s part. $16M on the cap is far from cheap.

And you know he’s gone after this year either way. They aren’t going to tag him this year and then give him the big contract at age 29 when they have other people to pay big money to.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 09:00 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:

Ford provides both.

If his back is not an issue anymore, he’s gonna have a streak of big years like this one.

Lots of people mad at him (rightfully so) for the NE game, but have forgotten how many huge plays the guy gave us this year.
Yup.

Ford drives me up the wall sometimes with the offsides and run defend whiffs, but nobody can deny that he had a major impact this past season and was a “bright spot” on a pretty dim defense.

I don’t see teams lining up offering a 1st round pick to make Ford a long term commitment when this draft has both quality and quantity at Edge rusher throughout the 1st round and into the 2nd...
[Reply]
Chief Northman 09:08 PM 01-31-2019
I also think it’s a stretch to call Ford ‘cost controlled’ on Taylor’s part. $16M on the cap is far from cheap.

And you know he’s gone after this year either way. They aren’t going to tag him this year and then give him the big contract at age 29 when they have other people to pay big money to.
It is cost-controlled from the standpoint that the Chiefs are in WIN-NOW MODE.

Do you drop one of the league’s best pass rushers for a lotto ticket (draft pick) when your Superbowl window is open, but not widening - and not widening because of what you point out: Jones, Hill, Mahomes, Fuller are all going to get PAID.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:21 PM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
It is cost-controlled from the standpoint that the Chiefs are in WIN-NOW MODE.

Do you drop one of the league’s best pass rushers for a lotto ticket (draft pick) when your Superbowl window is open, but not widening - and not widening because of what you point out: Jones, Hill, Mahomes, Fuller are all going to get PAID.
Counterpoint would be the Chiefs have some pretty awful contracts on the books that will be replaced by those you pointed out, but I see what you’re saying.

I just don’t think Veach can afford to keep both Houston and Ford this year unless 50 will rework his contract.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:25 PM 01-31-2019
The big roll of the dice is with health too. Neither Ford nor Houston are exactly safe bets to stay on the field for 16 games.

I just wonder if $15M in cap space for one of those two wouldn’t be better used on a couple of new defensive starters at the 2nd or 3rd level.
[Reply]
Page 116 of 324
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126166216 > Last »
Up