ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 51 of 61
« First < 414748495051 52535455 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Report: Orlando Brown requests trade from Ravens, wants to play LT
Sofa King 01:40 PM 02-10-2021
Moving on from Fisher? Probably not.

Cap room for him? Not really, but moves could be made.

Draft capital for him? Maybe, but we're awfully low in the draft.

Tunsil trade (For record-keeping purposes, the trade saw the Dolphins acquire first-round picks in 2020 and 2021 and a second-round pick in 2021 along with offensive tackle Julién Davenport and defensive back Johnson Bademosi in exchange for Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round selection.)

https://www.nfl.com/news/orlando-bro...nts-to-play-lt

It only took the Ravens a little over a year to learn their selection of Orlando Brown was a wise one, but they've met a new challenge with the tackle that could be their last.

Brown has expressed his desire to be traded, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday. After spending the majority of 2020 on the left side in place of the injured Ronnie Stanley, Brown has found his comfort zone and does not want to return to the right side. He'll only play for a team that will line him up at his preferred left tackle position, per Rapoport.

Rapoport added the Ravens value Brown significantly and would need major compensation in order to do a deal.

Brown's background is on the left side, but he ended up in Baltimore as a right tackle after a poor pre-draft showing saw him slide from a first-round projection to an eventual third-round pick of the Ravens. He blossomed in 2019 and especially in 2020 after switching to the left side to replace Stanley, earning his second straight trip to the Pro Bowl -- and first as an initial selection. Thanks to Brown's quick adjustment to the left side of the line, Baltimore didn't lose much in offensive production following Stanley's injury, finishing as the league's No. 1 rushing offense for a second straight season.

Brown's success on the left side and desire to remain there might very well also be tied to the financial ramifications of the tackle position. As it currently stands, there is a $5 million per year difference between the league's highest-paid right tackle (Philadelphia's Lane Johnson) and left tackle (Green Bay's David Bakhtiari). Of the top 10 highest-paid tackles in the NFL (in terms of average salary per year), only two -- Johnson and Las Vegas' Trent Brown -- are right tackles.

Orlando Brown missed out on significant money typically afforded to first-round picks right around the moment when he racked the bar after just 14 bench-press reps during a nightmarish 2018 NFL Scouting Combine. He's made a little over $1.8 million in base salary total in his first three seasons, and though he will see a significant boost in 2021 (base salary of $3.38 million) due to the structure of his rookie deal, that's still an incredibly far cry from where tackles of his level land in compensation ranking.

After demonstrating his ability to effectively handle the transition from right to left tackle -- a return to his roots, essentially -- Brown is in a prime position to capitalize financially and beyond. He'll maximize his earning potential by remaining a left tackle, and he'll probably enjoy playing the game a bit more in a stance and vantage point that's more familiar to him, anyway.

If that doesn't fit in Baltimore, the Ravens will have to move him. And though this isn't exactly the best way to ensure maximum leverage in a deal, they'll probably still get a haul for him.
[Reply]
ROYC75 11:42 AM 04-20-2021
I just don't see any way or reason why Baltimore would send us a 24 year old potential All Pro left tackle for years to come. That would go against their better belief. Kansas City would have to throw the gosh damn entire draft away at them to get them to want to make us better! It isn't going to happen fellers.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:43 AM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
All that running around in Balt backfield could translate well to what Mahomes does to extend plays. Brown would find Mahomes style refreshing maybe after playing with Lamar.
This all just hit me, as i am admittedly faster than some but slower than most. I'm rapidly coming around to the idea even thought i still dont think its likely.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 11:45 AM 04-20-2021
Yeah they'll rake us over the coals for this guy, best to let this dream slide.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:56 AM 04-20-2021
Baltimore's not going to trade a great player to their direct conference competition, guys. They'd hike up the asking price by quite a bit in order to do a deal with us.

And yes, people, there IS a pricetag that is too high for a LT. Just ask Houston and how they fared on the Laremy Tunsil/Duane Brown swap all so they could save salary cap space (in theory, anyway)

Don't be like Houston.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:16 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Baltimore's not going to trade a great player to their direct conference competition, guys. They'd hike up the asking price by quite a bit in order to do a deal with us.

And yes, people, there IS a pricetag that is too high for a LT. Just ask Houston and how they fared on the Laremy Tunsil/Duane Brown swap all so they could save salary cap space (in theory, anyway)

Don't be like Houston.
You presume they'd turn the best deal (assuming the Chiefs offer the best deal) because they're afraid of the Chiefs?

Yeah im not buying that fan made drama.
[Reply]
Sofa King 12:20 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
You presume they'd turn the best deal (assuming the Chiefs offer the best deal) because they're afraid of the Chiefs?

This
[Reply]
Wallymo 12:28 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
I understand that the injury dropped him but even a completely healthy Niang isn't going top 10 in this draft.
Do we know that is true? Below is a snippet from Niang's wikapedia. I'm not ready to put a ceiling on Niang as a player just yet. The extra contract year plus the extra year healed from injury may end up being a huge positive for both Niang's production on the field and the team's salary cap.
------------------
Prior to his senior season, Niang was named 1st Team Preseason All-Big 12,[6] and The Athletic named him as one of the top offensive linemen in college football.[7] Hall of Fame NFL executive Gil Brandt has named Niang as one of the top offensive line prospects for the 2020 NFL Draft,[8] and ESPN draft expert Todd McShay has projected Niang as a first-round selection and best offensive tackle in the 2020 NFL Draft.[9]
[Reply]
-King- 12:31 PM 04-20-2021

How is it fan made drama? There's a reason trades within divisions are rare. You don't want to help a team you're directly competing with. And while the Ravens aren't in our division, they know they're directly competing with us to make the superbowl. They're not going to give us one of the most important players if we don't offer a lot more than the next team. Especially seeing as how we have a worst 1st round draft pick than 30 other teams in the first place.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:40 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
I just don't see any way or reason why Baltimore would send us a 24 year old potential All Pro left tackle for years to come. That would go against their better belief. Kansas City would have to throw the gosh damn entire draft away at them to get them to want to make us better! It isn't going to happen fellers.
If the Chiefs are the only really good offer they get, they're left with either trading him or having him blow up their locker room.

They're not going to turn down a great offer just because it's from the Chiefs. Sure, they might take less from someone else but just look at the teams that have reportedly inquired - one of them is the Steelers. Do you think they want to trade with the Steelers?

Brown wants left tackle money. The Ravens simply can't afford that. They either trade him to whoever they can or they let him walk for nothing. Maybe they go the latter route but I'd be willing to bet they don't want him on the roster come September.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:41 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

Don't be like Houston.
Yet people here want to trade more picks that it would take to get Brown to get an unproven rookie. I'm sure you can see how that makes zero sense.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:43 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
How is it fan made drama? There's a reason trades within divisions are rare. You don't want to help a team you're directly competing with. And while the Ravens aren't in our division, they know they're directly competing with us to make the superbowl. They're not going to give us one of the most important players if we don't offer a lot more than the next team. Especially seeing as how we have a worst 1st round draft pick than 30 other teams in the first place.
First, they aren't in our division (and division trades do happen anyway) and secondly, the Chiefs are going to get a LT with or w/o the Ravens.

If you plan on going to the SB, you can plan on playing the Chiefs no matter what. They're going to find a LT no matter what. So no matter what, you're going to play the goddamn Chiefs and they're going to have a good LT.

Now, you can cut off your nose to spite your face, or you can effectively take the Chief's 1st round pick and then some, and profit off them while riding yourself of a headache at the same time, WHILE ensuring they pay a premium to yet another position instead of the Chiefs paying a LT on a rookie contract. (Hell, maybe this allows the Ravens to move up and pick up a LT on a rookie contract)

You're over here worrying about "OMG, what if we have to play the Chiefs, what if they're GOOD???".

Competent NFL teams aren't worried about that fan made hypothetical drama. You worry about building the best team you can build. Not what may or may not happen with some other team that aint even in your division.

If the Chiefs offer the most, you take it and let the chips fall where they may. I can promise you no one in Baltimore is sitting there trembling in their boots as if they can't beat the Chiefs.

In a league where anything can happen, and any injury can derail a season, it'd be idiotic to turn down the most profitable offer that both helps you, and taps the Chiefs resources over hypothetical what-ifs.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:43 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
It depends on who the suitors are and what they are offering. At least two of the teams rumored to have inquired are the Steelers and Chargers. One is a division foe and the other could be an additional contender if their QB continues to develop.

At some point, the Ravens will have to pick the lesser of so many evils because keeping him is a bad idea.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:45 PM 04-20-2021
First, they aren't in our division (and division trades do happen anyway) and secondly, the Chiefs are going to get a LT with or w/o the Ravens.

If you plan on going to the SB, you can plan on playing the Chiefs no matter what. They're going to find a LT no matter what. So no matter what, you're going to play the goddamn Chiefs and they're going to have a good LT.

Now, you can cut off your nose to spite your face, or you can effectively take the Chief's 1st round pick and then some, and profit off them while riding yourself of a headache at the same time, WHILE ensuring they pay a premium to yet another position instead of the Chiefs paying a LT on a rookie contract. (Hell, maybe this allows the Ravens to move up and pick up a LT on a rookie contract)

You're over here worrying about "OMG, what if we have to play the Chiefs, what if they're GOOD???".

Competent NFL teams aren't worried about that fan made hypothetical drama. You worry about building the best team you can build. Not what may or may not happen with some other team that aint even in your division.

If the Chiefs offer the most, you take it and let the chips fall where they may. I can promise you no one in Baltimore is sitting there trembling in their boots as if they can't beat the Chiefs.

In a league where anything can happen, and any injury can derail a season, it'd be idiotic to turn down the most profitable offer that both helps you, and taps the Chiefs resources over hypothetical what-ifs.
Exactly.

The Ravens can rid themselves of a potential problem in Brown and get picks for it or they can sit tight and watch those teams, including the Chiefs, address their problems anyway, all the while they're stuck with Brown.
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:45 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yet people here want to trade more picks that it would take to get Brown to get an unproven rookie. I'm sure you can see how that makes zero sense.
So you're in on Brown over a stopgap like Villaneuva/Okung and drafting one at #1?
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:50 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
So you're in on Brown over a stopgap like Villaneuva/Okung and drafting one at #1?
Depends on where in the first.

Ideally, we'd go stopgap and one in the 2nd or 3rd. I think the developmental guys in the 2nd and 3rd round actually fit better at LT in a pass-oriented offense.

I'm absolutely against trading up at all. I don't think the guys available in the 20's will be that much better fits than anybody we could grab at 31.

I don't consider "day 1 starter" to be a very valuable evaluation criteria. I want a guy with high upside in pass protection.

But if we are going to talk about trading 1st round picks, especially next year's, I'd MUCH rather have Brown than any tackle in this draft, including Sewell. We know he can play in the NFL at a high level. He's worth it.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 61
« First < 414748495051 52535455 > Last »
Up