ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 57
« First < 2424849505152 53545556 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:31 AM 04-02-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
I spent 9 1/2 hours over two days several weeks back getting all the fucking weeds out of the rocks on my lawn.

I will invest in 75% vinegar concentrate next as I know that works to kill the weeds AND the roots. 1 gallon of vinegar + 1 gallon of hot water in a 2 gallon pump sprayer will take care of a lot. Probably need 5-6 gallons of vinegar.
Have you tried a weed torch?

I was looking into those for the sporadic weeds in my rock lawn and wondered how effective they were.
[Reply]
Skyy God 10:56 AM 04-02-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
warm enough to plant grass?
It’s supposed to freeze here Wednesday.

Overseeding Thursday.

Puppy needs a yard free of mud pits.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:46 PM 04-02-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
In hindsight it seems obvious but learned the lesson that I have to dial back my drip system schedule during the winter months.

Had to replace 4 Red Yuccas but everything else I should be able to save.

Also looking into doing a waterless cactus garden along the path to my backyard.
I'll go 1-2 weeks without watering a single thing in the yard during winter depending on the rain, and I have lots of tropicals. I'm always turning it on and off in the winter. I'll rarely turn it off in the summer, even when it rains because it just gets so hot.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:49 PM 04-02-2023
Originally Posted by unBelizable:
It’s supposed to freeze here Wednesday.

Overseeding Thursday.

Puppy needs a yard free of mud pits.
10-day forecast in KC is pretty good. But the low of 30 degrees Wednesday gives me pause.

Might wait a week.
[Reply]
scho63 01:30 PM 04-02-2023

I was looking into those for the sporadic weeds in my rock lawn and wondered how effective they were.
I own The Torch that I bought 3 years ago and have used it often. Unfortunately the community has a ban on open flames of any kind and they resent a letter banning it. Lots of people complaining and to be honest, there are natural gas lines that could be hit the way the utilities are laid out in the community.
[Reply]
scho63 01:30 PM 04-02-2023

I own The Torch that I bought 3 years ago and have used it often. Unfortunately the community has a ban on open flames of any kind and they resent a letter banning it. Lots of people complaining and to be honest, there are natural gas lines that could be hit the way the utilities are laid out in the community.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:18 PM 05-20-2023

[Reply]
Buehler445 08:28 PM 05-20-2023
Awesome. Good work.
[Reply]
Pablo 08:46 PM 05-20-2023
You got a real slice of paradise there lew.

Good job dude
[Reply]
lewdog 08:52 PM 05-20-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Awesome. Good work.
Originally Posted by Pablo:
You got a real slice of paradise there lew.

Good job dude
This yard had a pool and not a single plant 9 years ago. I’m proud of the work we’ve put in. It’s been fun planting it and seeing it grow. I never grew a single thing until I moved here but I love it now.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:41 PM 05-20-2023
Looks great Lew, well done
[Reply]
srvy 10:49 PM 05-20-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I like that big blue and red dump truck. I remember having fun as a kid with a Tonka loader and dump truck. Mine wasn't Tonka it was the Monkey Wards version. Parents were the miserly WWII Generation. Still had a ball!

Nice pics
[Reply]
lewdog 07:12 AM 05-21-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
I like that big blue and red dump truck. I remember having fun as a kid with a Tonka loader and dump truck. Mine wasn't Tonka it was the Monkey Wards version. Parents were the miserly WWII Generation. Still had a ball!

Nice pics
He's a dig in the dirt for fun kind of kid. He really loves digging holes and moving gravel from different parts of the yard. :-)
[Reply]
ChiTown 07:23 AM 05-21-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Top shelf, Brother! That looks amazing.

I’d love to be able to landscape like that, but it’s not possible in Wichita, KS. The extremes limit what you can do. I do love gardening and landscaping projects though. I’ve had to get after several so far this Spring. Last Summer was really rough on the plants, and an extremely dry Winter just sealed it. I’ve probably replaced at least 12 various varieties of plants & bushes around my house, as well as two holly trees. It’s ****ing expen$$$$$ive to keep a nice yard around these parts!
[Reply]
lewdog 07:23 AM 05-21-2023
A few more and then I'll be done. Limes will be ready in about 2 months. The Passion fruit flowers have never turned into fruit yet so we tried hand pollinating them this year. Hard part it they show up for a day and then die but man are they pretty.

Grapes are about the easiest thing to grow here. Some winter pruning is all they need and after that just basic watering and some fertilizer. They grow like weeds here. Peppers are Serrano peppers. I will ferment some and make salsa with the rest.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:45 AM 05-21-2023
i bet those grapes taste amazing
[Reply]
Page 52 of 57
« First < 2424849505152 53545556 > Last »
Up