ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 498 of 1208
« First < 398448488494495496497498 499500501502508548598998 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:30 PM 04-22-2017
Well FMB. Even though the plank didn't add much it looked like you did a good job preparing it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:32 PM 04-22-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Not really. I expected it to char and smoke some, and it never did that. The salmon had good flavor, but it was due to the zest, thyme, rosemary, and garlic.

I want to do it again in my PBC and get it actually smoked.
My sense has been that cedar planks are there largely to make sure that delicate salmon doesn't get fucked up by the grill grate, and MAYBE to provide a source of steam if you soak the plank beforehand, though even that is questionable. Any flavor imparted is a bonus and largely a placebo.

Also, it looks nice.
[Reply]
Buzz 06:33 PM 04-22-2017
Not really. I expected it to char and smoke some, and it never did that. The salmon had good flavor, but it was due to the zest, thyme, rosemary, and garlic.

I want to do it again in my PBC and get it actually smoked.

I thought you would have gotten more of the white fish fat pooling on the board.

I was shopping an offset smoker on craigslist, I'm missing the one I sold, the one I was looking at sold before I got to it.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:38 PM 04-22-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
I thought you would have gotten more of the white fish fat pooling on the board.

I was shopping an offset smoker on craigslist, I'm missing the one I sold, the one I was looking at sold before I got to it.

You can minimize the albumin by brining or marinating the meat (and by not overcooking). I did a little marinade with oil, garlic, herbs, and lemon zest. The brine works better at keeping the albumin in. I cooked to 125, which is right where I like farmed salmon.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:39 PM 04-22-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
My sense has been that cedar planks are there largely to make sure that delicate salmon doesn't get fucked up by the grill grate, and MAYBE to provide a source of steam if you soak the plank beforehand, though even that is questionable. Any flavor imparted is a bonus and largely a placebo.

Also, it looks nice.

Yeah, I think the steam is right on point. I'd just read you'd get some wood flavor, but not that I could tell.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:43 PM 04-22-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Well FMB. Even though the plank didn't add much it looked like you did a good job preparing it.

Thanks. The flavor was quite good, just not what I was hoping for. Will probably make another go in a couple weeks on the actual smoker.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:44 PM 04-22-2017
Wife fried me chicken.

I'm worried she is fattening me up for slaughter.

I've been craving fried chicken so bad for a few weeks now. May give in and go to Popeyes next week. I hate doing fried chicken at home.
[Reply]
Buzz 06:46 PM 04-22-2017
Yeah, I think the steam is right on point. I'd just read you'd get some wood flavor, but not that I could tell.

I haven't read up on how to do it but do you think heating / charring the board a bit and then placing the fish on top would make a difference?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:49 PM 04-22-2017
I haven't read up on how to do it but do you think heating / charring the board a bit and then placing the fish on top would make a difference?

That's what I did. I put the board on the grill for probably 7-8 minutes before putting the fish on. The board got some decent charring on the bottom. Just didn't seem to make a difference in the fish.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:51 PM 04-22-2017
Thanks. The flavor was quite good, just not what I was hoping for. Will probably make another go in a couple weeks on the actual smoker.
Do it Alton style. A cardboard box or two terracotta pots, a hot plate and a cast iron skillet full of sawdust.
[Reply]
Buzz 07:04 PM 04-22-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Do it Alton style. A cardboard box or two terracotta pots, a hot plate and a cast iron skillet full of sawdust.

Inmen comes to mind.
[Reply]
Squalor2 07:11 PM 04-22-2017
That's what I did. I put the board on the grill for probably 7-8 minutes before putting the fish on. The board got some decent charring on the bottom. Just didn't seem to make a difference in the fish.

dammit man. you are probably killing people. where in the fuck do you think a board cut and treated is safe for food?
[Reply]
Buzz 07:14 PM 04-22-2017
I've been craving fried chicken so bad for a few weeks now. May give in and go to Popeyes next week. I hate doing fried chicken at home.

Yeah, we did some spring cleaning last week and rented a carpet cleaner from Home Depot. Used hot water and vinegar instead of the store bought cleaning solution, which always seams to leave the carpet dirty again in a few weeks from the residue. House smelt like crap for about a day, now it smells great, don't need to stink it up right away frying food.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:17 PM 04-22-2017
Inmen comes to mind.
Hot plate doesn't get sawdust in a cast iron skillet hot enough to flame.
[Reply]
Buzz 07:19 PM 04-22-2017
Wife fried me chicken.

I'm worried she is fattening me up for slaughter.

No offense Buehler, looks yummy, love fried chicken.
[Reply]
Page 498 of 1208
« First < 398448488494495496497498 499500501502508548598998 > Last »
Up