ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The PPE and decisions...
kccrow 08:44 PM 02-17-2019
So, 4 players from KC earned the Proven Performance Escalator for the final year of their deals. They are:

CB Kendall Fuller
WR Tyreek Hill
FS Eric Murray
WR Demarcus Robinson

As you know, that means that these players will have their 2019 salaries increased to the Original Round tender value for RFAs. That is estimated at $2,035,000. This salary is NOT guaranteed.

So, the question now becomes, are Eric Murray and Demarcus Robinson worth keeping at this rate?

Not only this, but FS Jordan Lucas and ILB Terrance Smith are both RFAs who will be in line for the same amount unless they reach a deal for a contract or are allowed to walk.

My personal opinion is that Lucas should be retained on a 1-year vet-minimum deal for $720,000 + $90,000 bonus money and not be tendered. Smith should walk.

I am in the air about Murray and Robinson. I don't think either bring enough value to the team to actually be worth that escalator, but then can the Chiefs afford to cut either?

Murray is really the only FS on the team right now unless Berry is retained AND is healthy in 2019 AND moves permanently to FS. With Conley and DAT both being FAs, Robinson is the only receiver next in line that really has experience.

What do you think KC does?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:37 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
They really don’t need to spend that much. They’ve got two 2nd rd DE’s to utilize + an entire defensive draft to mix in.

I think they need to get cheap talent at important positions. I would be fine if we took these positions with our first 100 picks: pass rusher, ILB, corner and receiver (TE or WR).

Safety or ILB is the one spot I’d spend some money next month. If we can get a top end ILB or Safety, it won’t break the bank.
I'd do some dumpster diving at safety, personally. I get it - we were garbage there and could sure use better reinforcements, but I still think that's a position that has guys who can play if you'll just sift through the chaff better.

You don't need to hit on 6 Jordan Lucas types; just be willing to move away from 1 Ron Parker type. We've had outstanding success with guys like Demps, Abdullah and Branch. Kurt Coleman left here and had a very nice career. It just seems like among the easier positions to go find low-cost, solid return type options if you're willing to do the work.

Sutton just stuck the guy he knew out there and buried the guy who was playing better. It wasn't that we didn't have a dude who could do the job, we simply wouldn't allow him to do it. So change that attitude and see what we can manage.

I think that's a better idea (along with relying on development from Watts, Lucas and a likely draft pick) than throwing $6 million or so at a second tier S option and spending $11-$12 million on a first tier FA will have us right back in cap hell soon enough.
[Reply]
O.city 12:54 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'd do some dumpster diving at safety, personally. I get it - we were garbage there and could sure use better reinforcements, but I still think that's a position that has guys who can play if you'll just sift through the chaff better.

You don't need to hit on 6 Jordan Lucas types; just be willing to move away from 1 Ron Parker type. We've had outstanding success with guys like Demps, Abdullah and Branch. Kurt Coleman left here and had a very nice career. It just seems like among the easier positions to go find low-cost, solid return type options if you're willing to do the work.

Sutton just stuck the guy he knew out there and buried the guy who was playing better. It wasn't that we didn't have a dude who could do the job, we simply wouldn't allow him to do it. So change that attitude and see what we can manage.

I think that's a better idea (along with relying on development from Watts, Lucas and a likely draft pick) than throwing $6 million or so at a second tier S option and spending $11-$12 million on a first tier FA will have us right back in cap hell soon enough.
Prepare for Earl Thomas
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:34 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Prepare for Earl Thomas
Many roads lead to Rome, my friend.

That's simply not the one I'd choose...
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:04 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Prepare for Earl Thomas
Well, taking Veach at his word, he said he wanted to get younger, faster, and more aggressive.

Thomas doesn't fit that; Landon Collins would.

Corners are so expensive that even a mediocre corner like Nelson is going to get like $12 million a year, so I definitely wouldn't go after a CB in FA. Maybe via trade if you can get a guy that's locked in a for at least a couple of seasons.

Which leaves safety as a position that you could get proven excellent play at a reasonable salary.

But we'll see. If we were to draft, a like Nassir Adderley, I'd feel okay rolling with Watts and Lucas.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 02:57 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Many roads lead to Rome, my friend.

That's simply not the one I'd choose...
Agreed.

Learn from the Berry saga. Too much mileage on Thomas for the price point.

Go younger and prioritize in the draft. Good crop this year. I would not be shocked if the Chiefs attempt to trade for Landon Collins.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:08 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Agreed.

Learn from the Berry saga. Too much mileage on Thomas for the price point.

Go younger and prioritize in the draft. Good crop this year. I would not be shocked if the Chiefs attempt to trade for Landon Collins.

I'd love that; but honestly, I sort of expect that they won't make any big splash moves, maybe some June 1st cut guys and second/third tier players to hold spots, draft defense heavy and roll.

And I'm not certain that's not the right call. But you better hit on those picks.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:33 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'd love that; but honestly, I sort of expect that they won't make any big splash moves, maybe some June 1st cut guys and second/third tier players to hold spots, draft defense heavy and roll.

And I'm not certain that's not the right call. But you better hit on those picks.
I fully expect to have Houston, Ford, and Berry all back. They'll sign some cheap guys and go into the draft having done relatively nothing in free agency.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:40 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I fully expect to have Houston, Ford, and Berry all back. They'll sign some cheap guys and go into the draft having done relatively nothing in free agency.
Where do you play Houston?

Berry, I know-he'll play the bench on a day-to-day basis.
[Reply]
Chargem 03:47 PM 02-18-2019

My gut feeling is Ford and Speaks are the ends and Houston is the SAM, with Houston also dropping in to the end positions as well. I'm not saying that's the best thing to do, but it's what they might do.

That sort of locks in the front 7, lets you draft secondary aiming for an immediate impact and a developmental SAM and DE.
[Reply]
Chargem 03:49 PM 02-18-2019

I can't remember which podcast or article I read it in, but someone was talking about how in prior years the Chiefs had been drafting for home runs, but now they need high floor guys who can contribute quickly even at the cost of a high ceiling.

I'm not sure I can think of anyone who was a home run swing in recent years other than Mahomes, but I sort of agree with the high floor point this year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:50 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
My gut feeling is Ford and Speaks are the ends and Houston is the SAM, with Houston also dropping in to the end positions as well. I'm not saying that's the best thing to do, but it's what they might do.

That sort of locks in the front 7, lets you draft secondary aiming for an immediate impact and a developmental SAM and DE.
that's an awful lot of money for a SAM. Houston can do it, but that's an awful lot of money to tie up in that position. I mean, Houston might play balls out and get like 6 sacks.

$ per production doesn't make much sense.
[Reply]
Chargem 03:54 PM 02-18-2019
that's an awful lot of money for a SAM. Houston can do it, but that's an awful lot of money to tie up in that position. I mean, Houston might play balls out and get like 6 sacks.

$ per production doesn't make much sense.
Again, I'm not saying it's the best move, or even a good move, I just think it's likely to happen.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 03:55 PM 02-18-2019

Houston would play RDE, more of a fit than Ford.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:56 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Houston would play RDE, more of a fit than Ford.
So you pay Ford $16 or $17 million to play on 3rd and long?

That's what I'm saying, the money just doesn't make any sense.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:00 PM 02-18-2019
So you pay Ford $16 or $17 million to play on 3rd and long?

That's what I'm saying, the money just doesn't make any sense.

If they can't trade him that's the issue since he's a bad fit for the 4-3 scheme.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up