ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>Why does everybody hate Nickelback?
Frazod 07:02 PM 02-08-2019
They're after my time, and as far as I know I've only ever heard one of their songs. Which is frankly kind of catchy.

But comparing any disliked band to Nickelback seems to be the ultimate musical insult, and any time they are mentioned people seem to pile on like the crowd that wanted to burn the witch in Holy Grail.

What did they do? Does everybody hate their music that much? Are they dicks to their fans?

I need somebody not musically stuck in the decade between '75 and '85 to enlighten me.
[Reply]
SuperChief 01:41 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by Frosty:
Music gatekeeper fight!!!!
:-)

Just because the dude may not like something doesn't mean it is bad. I don't like The Beatles - I recognize their talent and the importance of their work, but I still don't like it. Doesn't mean they suck.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:50 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by SuperChief:

Just because the dude may not like something doesn't mean it is bad. I don't like The Beatles - I recognize their talent and the importance of their work, but I still don't like it. Doesn't mean they suck.
Don't like is hard to buy
Do you mean 'don't prefer to much of anything'
Or 'don't like as much as everyone else seems to'
Or do you actually mean 'every single thing I've heard from them arouses aversion in me.'

I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I can understand people who aren't as enamored of The Beatles as being as sanctified and incredible as some might argue.

But it's tough to reconcile any love of music with a complete aversion to The Beatles. They did too much, too well, over too many genres and eras to merit zero affection whatsoever.
[Reply]
Frosty 01:54 PM 02-13-2019

Sorry - i just laugh when I see someone use the phrase "real music" or "you don't know good music". It comes across as self-important (or juvenile - I remember being that way in high school). I'm going to get the popcorn and watch the battle unfold over what constitutes "good music".
[Reply]
SuperChief 01:55 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Or do you actually mean 'every single thing I've heard from them arouses aversion in me.'

I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I can understand people who aren't as enamored of The Beatles as being as sanctified and incredible as some might argue.

But it's tough to reconcile any love of music with a complete aversion to The Beatles. They did too much, too well, over too many genres and eras to merit zero affection whatsoever.
That's totally fair, and I understand your point and perspective on this. To answer, I'd say I "don't prefer" their music. I'm not going to seek it out. If I had to listen to their music vs. others less preferable (which certainly exists), it wouldn't be bad.
[Reply]
SuperChief 01:57 PM 02-13-2019
Sorry - i just laugh when I see someone use the phrase "real music" or "you don't know good music". It comes across as self-important (or juvenile - I remember being that way in high school). I'm going to get the popcorn and watch the battle unfold over what constitutes "good music".
It's so important to remember how subjective all this really is. And I agree, arguing over what music is "good" is pretty silly.

It's like when people say "I don't like beer." I have a hard time believing that person has tried all offerings available. I used to say that about wine until I came to the understanding that I "just haven't tried the right wine yet."
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 02:07 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:

I know you aren't talking to me. But I like the Beatles ok, but I don't own any of their music. So that lines up with your thinking.

Now the Chili Peppers, I have a serious aversion to those fuckers, but they seem popular for some reason. That shit is annoying. I will change the radio station. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
[Reply]
Frosty 02:11 PM 02-13-2019
It's so important to remember how subjective all this really is. And I agree, arguing over what music is "good" is pretty silly.

It's like when people say "I don't like beer." I have a hard time believing that person has tried all offerings available. I used to say that about wine until I came to the understanding that I "just haven't tried the right wine yet."
Maybe it wasn't your intention but "tell me what you think "good music" is. Prepare your anus" comes across pretty strong. People like what they like, especially in something as subjective as art.

I was in the metal scene when I was younger and, hoo boy - are those a bunch of gatekeeping mofos. I just find that attitude annoying now.
[Reply]
Dayze 02:16 PM 02-13-2019
I went to a Nickelback concert once when the wife won tickets.
It was actually a good concert.

come at me.
[Reply]
GayFrogs 02:17 PM 02-13-2019
Nickleback is not good. Over-commercialized, hyper-produced pop rock; however, they did put out a decent album called The State, which has a few tracks that are simple and catchy. I submit:

Live version isn't bad because it builds gradually. I looked up the studio version and it's totally neutered. It would've been okay if there was a bridge or they went loud then quieter then loud again.

[Reply]
Frosty 02:23 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by Dayze:
I went to a Nickelback concert once when the wife won tickets.
It was actually a good concert.

come at me.
Ha ha

Plebe

[Reply]
Dayze 02:26 PM 02-13-2019
I feel I can state that I went to a Nickelback concert here in the safe confines of CP.
[Reply]
SuperChief 02:26 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by idrapethat:
Live version isn't bad because it builds gradually. I looked up the studio version and it's totally neutered. It would've been okay if there was a bridge or they went loud then quieter then loud again.

Agreed!
[Reply]
SuperChief 02:29 PM 02-13-2019
Maybe it wasn't your intention but "tell me what you think "good music" is. Prepare your anus" comes across pretty strong. People like what they like, especially in something as subjective as art.

I was in the metal scene when I was younger and, hoo boy - are those a bunch of gatekeeping mofos. I just find that attitude annoying now.
I get what you're saying. It was the juxtaposition that drew me in. "I don't like this nuanced variety, but let me tell you - same old generic is my shiiiiit!" I don't get that. Although, I'll wait to pass judgement (lol) until I hear what's on his list. I hope it's good stuff.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:30 PM 02-13-2019

Metal fans are the worst

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:45 PM 02-13-2019
Let's hear who you think is "good music." Prepare your anus.
Like your already demonstrated musical taste leaves any room for you to judge another person's preferred bands. You probably love Five Finger Death Punch.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up