ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Dee Ford: What next?
pugsnotdrugs19 08:49 AM 01-21-2019
Posting this here because it feels much more likely to be a viable intelligent conversation right now and not a bunch of ‘fuck you fuck him!!!’.....

Alright. So what do you guys think we should do/will do with him now?

I think it’s prisoner of the moment thinking to say they should let him go based on the one play last night. But that doesn’t mean that it is or isn’t the right move necessarily. We’ve also got to consider that this front 4 could be even more lethal with a new DC.

The way I see it, it’s either tag or tag & trade. And I guess for me it would come down to where the cap sits and how much I can get back in said potential trade.

Thoughts?...
[Reply]
Chargem 03:37 PM 01-23-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
How does the Tag and Trade thing work? Do they negotiate a contract first?
If he signs the tag, he can be traded on the one year deal. Obviously the receiving team probably won't complete a deal for a pick unless a LTC is agreed, unless they only want him for a year for some reason?
[Reply]
O.city 03:38 PM 01-23-2019
I'd do that and sign Brandon Graham.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:46 PM 01-23-2019
I'd do that and sign Brandon Graham.
Graham is meh and 30. No thanks.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:49 PM 01-23-2019
How does the Tag and Trade thing work? Do they negotiate a contract first?
First you injure someone's hall of fame quarterback. Then their worthless backup comes in and makes himself look semi-credible by lobbing jump-balls to the most freakishly talented WR to ever play the game. Then you hire a fat shithead to run your personnel department who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground but who happened to play some marginal role in originally 'discovering' said worthless backup.

After that happens, the fat shitheads former puppetmaster slaps the franchise tag on the worthless backup because he knows the fat shithead doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and will give up an actual asset to re-acquire his 'discovery'. After putting the tag on the backup, the puppetmaster fiendishly cackles and drums his fingers together like Monty Burns.

So then fat shithead calls his former puppet-master and offers to give him a second round pick for the worthless backup (who is under team control because of the franchise tag and the fact that he signed that fucking tender before anyone had a chance to change their mind). The puppetmaster laaaaaaughs and laaaaughs and laaaughs and then sends a suitcase nuke to Arrowhead.

I fucking hate you so much, Scott Pioli.
[Reply]
O.city 03:50 PM 01-23-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
First you injure someone's hall of fame quarterback. Then their worthless backup comes in and makes himself look semi-credible by lobbing jump-balls to the most freakishly talented WR to ever play the game. Then you hire a fat shithead to run your personnel department who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground but who happened to play some marginal role in originally 'discovering' said worthless backup.

After that happens, the fat shitheads former puppetmaster slaps the franchise tag on the worthless backup because he knows the fat shithead doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and will give him an actual asset for him.

So then fat shithead calls his former puppet-master and offers to give him a second round pick for the worthless backup (who is under team control because of the franchise tag and the fact that he signed that ****ing tender before anyone had a chance to change their mind). The puppetmaster laaaaaaughs and laaaaughs and laaaughs and then sends a suitcase nuke to Arrowhead.

I ****ing hate you so much, Scott Pioli.
Colorful.

But would someone have to work out a deal with Ford first or does that matter?
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:51 PM 01-23-2019
Colorful.

Generally they're going to have a deal in place before they agree to trade picks. No one is trading a high pick for a player on a 1 year deal.
[Reply]
O.city 03:55 PM 01-23-2019
Who would trade for him?

The Packers be interested you guys think? The Browns maybe but they've got pass rushers.

Falcons?
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:59 PM 01-23-2019
Who would trade for him?

The Packers be interested you guys think? The Browns maybe but they've got pass rushers.

Falcons?
Jets maybe.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:00 PM 01-23-2019
Colorful.

Um....both?

From a purely mechanical perspective, the deal is reached AFTER the trade. There are not true 'sign and trade' deals in the NFL due to accelerated signing bonuses and things like that.

The trade for Cassel was NOT contingent on an extension - the Chiefs really did give up a 2nd round pick for one !@#$ing season of that goddamn inbred cocksucker. And somehow they'd have been better off by just ending it there but after that they also reached an agreement with him completely independent of any additional compensation to the Patriots.

However, nobody in the world thinks that the Raiders hadn't given the Bears permission to deal directly with Mack's representation once the draft compensation was worked out. There was no way the Bears were giving up that much for a single season of Mack on the tag.

So the answer is - it depends. Yes, I absolutely believe the Chiefs could get a 3rd round pick for a single season of Ford with the acquiring team being of the belief that they can either tag him again or reach an agreement later. However, the Chiefs would almost certainly prefer push an arrangement for a 2nd or higher where they would give the acquiring team a chance to go ahead and speak Fords people regarding an extension and have one hammered out that effectively goes into effect concurrently with the trade itself. Hell, the tag isn't even the only path to this - that's effectively what happened in the Alex Smith trade as well.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:05 PM 01-23-2019
The Chiefs can absolutely fetch more than just a 3rd round pick. Proven edge rushers have a lot of value.
[Reply]
O.city 04:07 PM 01-23-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Um....both?

From a purely mechanical perspective, the deal is reached AFTER the trade. There are not true 'sign and trade' deals in the NFL due to accelerated signing bonuses and things like that.

The trade for Cassel was NOT contingent on an extension - the Chiefs really did give up a 2nd round pick for one !@#$ing season of that goddamn inbred one who sucks the penis. And somehow they'd have been better off by just ending it there but after that they also reached an agreement with him completely independent of any additional compensation to the Patriots.

However, nobody in the world thinks that the Raiders hadn't given the Bears permission to deal directly with Mack's representation once the draft compensation was worked out. There was no way the Bears were giving up that much for a single season of Mack on the tag.

So the answer is - it depends. Yes, I absolutely believe the Chiefs could get a 3rd round pick for a single season of Ford with the acquiring team being of the belief that they can either tag him again or reach an agreement later. However, the Chiefs would almost certainly prefer push an arrangement for a 2nd or higher where they would give the acquiring team a chance to go ahead and speak Fords people regarding an extension and have one hammered out that effectively goes into effect concurrently with the trade itself. Hell, the tag isn't even the only path to this - that's effectively what happened in the Alex Smith trade as well.
Smith was still under contract though, so we'd have to tag him first to have his rights I think.

I was assuming it would be essentially done contractually before the trade was agreed to but kind of a hush hush thing.
[Reply]
O.city 04:07 PM 01-23-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
The Chiefs can absolutely fetch more than just a 3rd round pick. Proven edge rushers have a lot of value.
I would think so. I just don't know who would want to give up a high pick and a big contract.

Looking around the league, maybe the Bucs could be a nice landing spot with them switching to Bowles D.
[Reply]
Chargem 04:28 PM 01-23-2019
If I remember correctly though, the player can't be traded until he signs the tag? I remember some talk around Bell this last year being unable to be traded by the Steelers because he refused to sign the tag.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:31 PM 01-23-2019
If they can’t get someone to puke up value for the Sack numbers he put up I will be disappointed.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:31 PM 01-23-2019
I would think so. I just don't know who would want to give up a high pick and a big contract.

Looking around the league, maybe the Bucs could be a nice landing spot with them switching to Bowles D.
Buccaneers would absolutely be a great fit. You're not getting their first round, but I don't see why you can't land a 2nd and a 2020 pick.

The Buccaneers have basically 0 pieces up front to run a 3-4 and they are going to need some proven guys to come in and produce. Bruce Arians is an old pile of shit that can't wait years for it all to come together. They need shit today.

Or maybe you could swing a Dee Ford for JPP + pick.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up