ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Doesn't look like such a hard task to rebuild the defense now, does it.
Direckshun 09:02 AM 01-15-2019
In 2019:

DL:

We've got Jones under contract (and we should extend him ASAP).
We've got Derrick Nnadi under contract.
We've got Xavier Williams under contract.
We've got Justin Hamilton under contract.

We're losing Allen Bailey, however, so we'll need to add a piece.

OLB:

We've got a choice to make on Dee Ford coming up, but we'll likely keep him.
We've got Justin Houston under contract.
We've got Breeland Speaks under contract.
We've got Tanoh Kpassagnon under contract.

That's a pretty solid depth chart. Add a piece if the value is there but otherwise, we're set.

ILB:

We've got Anthony Hitchens under contract.
We've got Dorian O'Daniel under contract.
We've got Reggie Ragland under contract.
Niemann is under contract as well, but meh.

So adding a player or two here is probably important, but now that Sutton is utilizing the top three correctly, we're pretty solid here.

CB:

We've got Kendall Fuller under contract.
We've got Charvarius Ward under contract.
Tremon Smith is under contract as well, but meh.

This is obviously the biggest area of concern. We're going to need multiple investments at this position -- and not simply bottom of the roster stuff. Assuming we don't keep Steven Nelson, we're going to need to add a starter and depth.

S:

We've got Eric Berry under contract (LET'S JUST ASSUME HE GETS SURGERY).
We've got Daniel Sorensen under contract.
We've got Armani Watts under contract.
We've got Jordan Lucas under contract.
We've got Eric Murray under contract.

Assuming this team does what it needs to do with Berry, which is force him to get surgery, then I don't think we need to make a single addition here. (That's obviously a big if at this point, and Berry could very well retire as well.)

So we're looking at some additions in the front seven, and then some major investments at CB.

That puts us miles ahead of where we thought we were with this defense.

2019 could, somehow, be even better than 2018 was. Which, considering it's going to be the last year we'll have Mahomes on his rookie contract, puts us exactly where we need to be.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:25 AM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by The Pest:
I don't know if there are any FAs that I would be looking at bringing in right now anyways.

And I'm still torn on tagging Ford or trying to give him a Watkins type deal where you can get out in year 3.
I'd pay the man, personally. And try to get him through year 3; escape in 4.

If he'd take Melvin Ingram's deal with a 10% kicker, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't think this is a contract year special because I've heard the guy speak enough that I think he's genuine. I think he's simply a guy who's finally healthy and who's learned a TON in his time here.

The nice thing about Ingram's deal is that the Chargers can escape after year 2 or 3 relatively easily or even let all 4 years play out and be fine. If that's the structure of Ford's deal it would protect the Chiefs in the event of a back injury. And with a $10 million signing bonus as well as a tick over $12 million in year one base/roster bonuses, he got paid $21 million in actual cash when he signed that deal - that's a hell of a boost over the $16 million or so he'd get under the tag.

He'd also get $34 million in the first 2 years which is a little under what he'd make if he played under the tag twice, but would be fully guaranteed which is a fair tradeoff (give a little back to have it guaranteed vs. trying to earn a tag the 2nd year).

And if it doesn't work out you can bail after 2020 and free up the money you'll need to get Mahomes extension worked out. If he HAS played to his contract then you at least have a trade asset if needed.

Ingrams deal would be a perfect template, IMO. Provided he decides he'd take it rather than go into the market looking for a Houston or Von Miller contract that I wouldn't be willing to give him.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:30 AM 01-15-2019
Just putting this together in 30 seconds.....but something like this:

Re-sign Ford, Hill and Jones.
Cut Sorenson

Draft

1. Jerry Tillery, DE, Notre Dame
2. Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson
2. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:42 AM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Just putting this together in 30 seconds.....but something like this:

Re-sign Ford, Hill and Jones.
Cut Sorenson

Draft

1. Jerry Tillery, DE, Notre Dame
2. Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson
2. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington
Would JIMP if Mullen fell that far and we could get Tillery as well.

That would be a pretty perfect draft in terms of needs/talent.
[Reply]
Walt White 12:03 PM 01-15-2019
We may not have the cap to do this, but is it possible we do something crazy like sign Earl Thomas or trade for Patrick Peterson?

I know we have a lot of people to pay and the draft is a much cheaper, easier option. But I hope we bring in some proven players too. A lot of vets are on the market that shouldn't cost as much.
[Reply]
O.city 12:17 PM 01-15-2019
Theres just so much damn money out there in free agency, it's tough to get guys on decent deals anymore.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:02 PM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by Walt White:
We may not have the cap to do this, but is it possible we do something crazy like sign Earl Thomas or trade for Patrick Peterson?

I know we have a lot of people to pay and the draft is a much cheaper, easier option. But I hope we bring in some proven players too. A lot of vets are on the market that shouldn't cost as much.
I think one of those things is possible; both are not.

I think trading for Peterson could have happened, and of course Earl Thomas would love to play with Berry. A safety tandem of Thomas and (a healthy) Berry would negate the need for elite corners for a season or two.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:32 PM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Eli Harold is a somewhat under the radar guy that wouldn't be a bad idea at OLB.

Preston Smith would be a nice get but he's gonna get broke off.

Za'Darius Smith is someone who would be awesome but he's getting paid too.
Breeland Speaks is a lot like Za’Darius Smith IMO. Same body build, developmental picks. Had traits early that can translate.

I really think Speaks will be a nice rusher next season.
[Reply]
Walt White 01:43 PM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I think one of those things is possible; both are not.

I think trading for Peterson could have happened, and of course Earl Thomas would love to play with Berry. A safety tandem of Thomas and (a healthy) Berry would negate the need for elite corners for a season or two.
The problem is I'm not confident Berry can stay healthy. If we sign a good safety (not even necessarily Thomas), it could still be a good idea to draft another one in top 3 rounds. Same with corner.

I would even be fine with drafting straight BPA and patching any left over holes with FA's and trades. But obviously we should focus on defense.
[Reply]
O.city 02:02 PM 01-15-2019
I wouldn't go in the draft looking for a certain position. Just set your board and see what happens.
[Reply]
tmax63 02:14 PM 01-15-2019
The Chiefs need draft 2 DBs, S or CB in their first 3 picks this year and 2 of 3 on defense next year as well. If they get too many good DBs they can always trade later but until then you work on the defensive talent. Free agency will take care of itself. KC is entering the same area Denver did when they got Manning. Receivers will line up to come and play with PMII and other FAs will want to be a part of the team with a chance. And they won't have to overpay to get them, just reasonable/fair deals and the potential to win a ring.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:26 PM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by tmax63:
The Chiefs need draft 2 DBs, S or CB in their first 3 picks this year and 2 of 3 on defense next year as well. If they get too many good DBs they can always trade later but until then you work on the defensive talent. Free agency will take care of itself. KC is entering the same area Denver did when they got Manning. Receivers will line up to come and play with PMII and other FAs will want to be a part of the team with a chance. And they won't have to overpay to get them, just reasonable/fair deals and the potential to win a ring.
I just think we're in a different cap era. The market is so insanely flush with cash that a guy like Albert Wilson can get PAID by just hitting the market.

And sure, it's possible that coming here on a 1-year, make good offer can help get a WR paid, but then you end up with roster churn at a position that is extremely difficult to pick up in this offense.

I just don't think it's a good idea washing through wideouts and I think a team with this QB should start treating developmental WRs a little bit like most teams treat developmental QBs and CBs - you could justify drafting one in the later rounds pretty much ever single draft. A 3rd-5th going after a WR with measurables and tools from a run heavy college offense could be brought in seemingly every season and after a year of coaching in this system, you see what you've got.

I get the desire to throw resources at the defense and I certainly can't argue with a tilt in that direction, but I don't think you can just start earmarking 60% of your draft capital towards DBs over the coming years. You just don't know how the board will come together and whether or not that's a good decision.

One thing I loved about Dorsey was his focus on measurables and long windows when it came to DBs. Go get the guy who's measurables compare favorably to this year's 1st day pick but who slipped because he's raw or came out of a small school or left a year early (DAMN YOU FULTON!!!! -- Man that dude was in my wheelhouse before he went back to LSU). Get him in here and give him a year of seasoning to see if you have a guy who's tools can play at this level but with a hell of a lot less organizational capital plowed into him.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:48 PM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I just think we're in a different cap era. The market is so insanely flush with cash that a guy like Albert Wilson can get PAID by just hitting the market.

And sure, it's possible that coming here on a 1-year, make good offer can help get a WR paid, but then you end up with roster churn at a position that is extremely difficult to pick up in this offense.

I just don't think it's a good idea washing through wideouts and I think a team with this QB should start treating developmental WRs a little bit like most teams treat developmental QBs and CBs - you could justify drafting one in the later rounds pretty much ever single draft. A 3rd-5th going after a WR with measurables and tools from a run heavy college offense could be brought in seemingly every season and after a year of coaching in this system, you see what you've got.

I get the desire to throw resources at the defense and I certainly can't argue with a tilt in that direction, but I don't think you can just start earmarking 60% of your draft capital towards DBs over the coming years. You just don't know how the board will come together and whether or not that's a good decision.

One thing I loved about Dorsey was his focus on measurables and long windows when it came to DBs. Go get the guy who's measurables compare favorably to this year's 1st day pick but who slipped because he's raw or came out of a small school or left a year early (DAMN YOU FULTON!!!! -- Man that dude was in my wheelhouse before he went back to LSU). Get him in here and give him a year of seasoning to see if you have a guy who's tools can play at this level but with a hell of a lot less organizational capital plowed into him.
Do you feel like Tremon Smith fits that mold?
[Reply]
Chargem 03:23 PM 01-15-2019
Maybe I'm insane but I feel like Ford takes a non ridiculous contract.

The dream is Berry takes a restructure and Houston takes an AVV lowering extension which opens up enough cap to open up the FA market a bit more after the Hill and Jones extensions.
[Reply]
Chargem 03:31 PM 01-15-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I wouldn't actually mind keeping Bailey around.
I just don't thin Bailey is worth anywhere near the money. I like that he gets pressure occasionally and he's had some big plays this year but I don't think its repeatable, skilled play.

I genuinely think he's marginally above JAG and not worth the money he will get.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 04:47 PM 01-15-2019
I'd love to get a guy like Taylor Rapp at the end of the first round. I'd even trade up a bit to get him.

He's one of the better graded safeties in the country last season, initiates contact with a nasty violence and he missed like 2-3 tackles all year.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up