ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The Cap Situation & Dee Ford
kccrow 09:00 PM 02-17-2019
So, questions on the cap...

OTC has our current Cap at $26,172,985.

The current estimated Draft Reserve is $2,871,000 (This is $6,471,000 less the no-effect portion for replacing top-51 of $3,600,000).

League minimums for ERFAs on the team now is $570,000. If we expect included bonus money of $30,000 (may be up to $90,000), those tenders would be $600,000 each for Butker, Hamilton, Kemp and Dieter, totalling $2,400,000.

The minimum you can retain Jordan Lucas for is $720,000 with up to $90,000 in bonus money, which would put him at $810,000 (or less depending...)

All of these transactions, in total amount to $6,081,000, reducing total cap space to $20,091,985.

The expected franchise tag for Ford is $15,777,000. This would reduce total cap space to $4,314,985 which is about the bare minimum KC tends to roll with into the proceeding year.

If KC retains the minimum number of players and franchises Ford, they cannot make any other moves that affect top-51 money.

The reality is, KC cannot afford to simply franchise Ford and play the 2019 season without some other moves involved. They must either tag and trade Ford or make some substantial cuts which may include Houston or Berry. Obviously, they can make low-key cuts like Sorensen and Murray but they won't have enough money to get substantially better players at the position.

Just thought I'd share the situation as about as clearly as I can.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:12 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
It’s a HUGE dropoff to go from Houston and Ford to a Vinny Curry/Speaks/rookie combination. Like big enough to probably wipe away any Super Bowl aspirations.

Gotta keep one of them IMO until you have more sure things behind them on the depth chart.
well, I think if you let both go, you can get say...close to Houston level production but from a proper proven vet DE for less than you'd have to pay Ford. So rather than a Vinny Curry type in that situation I'd be looking at another level up at DE, but an older vet, probably past their huge money days but still effective.

At any rate, if Houston's agent is saying they won't restructure, then he's just gone period. You can't pay him $21 million.

Ford on the tag is real expensive when he's such a liability against the run, but so be it.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 02:51 PM 02-18-2019
Houston’s annual contract average is just over $16.8 million, but his cap number is over $21 million for this season. Joel Segal is probably confident he can get Houston a 2-3 year deal at $17 million plus instead of restructuring with KC. The Chiefs will inevitably eat some dead money but Houston’s cut savings are the most realistic for freeing up money for this FA period. If Berry is cut post June 1st, his cap savings can be rolled and used to offset extensions for the likes of Hill/Jones.

Ford on the tag is not the worst thing for KC. No long term commitment, and he has to play well again to get a long term deal. He gets a one year trial in the 4-3, and I anticipate the Chiefs to add depth to the pass rush either in the draft or FA to hedge against Ford moving into 2020.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:54 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Ford on the tag is not the worst thing for KC. No long term commitment, and he has to play well again to get a long term deal. He gets a one year trial in the 4-3, and I anticipate the Chiefs to add depth to the pass rush either in the draft or FA to hedge against Ford moving into 2020.
It's not the worst thing but it's not the best thing either.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:56 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Houston’s annual contract average is just over $16.8 million, but his cap number is over $21 million for this season. Joel Segal is probably confident he can get Houston a 2-3 year deal at $17 million plus instead of restructuring with KC. The Chiefs will inevitably eat some dead money but Houston’s cut savings are the most realistic for freeing up money for this FA period. If Berry is cut post June 1st, his cap savings can be rolled and used to offset extensions for the likes of Hill/Jones.

I think this is probably the way it goes down. Houston doesn't REALLY fit schematically at his price point; and if it's true he's not restructuring, then I think there's no way he comes back.

Ford on the tag makes sense, pair it with a DE/Edge early in the draft, and you're in decent shape at DE. Speaks I think is a fine LDE, he's built for it and has a year's experience. Kpass is a wildcard but may surprise.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:42 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Yes, in a sense. It really gives you about $23.55 million to work with to sign free agents if tagging Ford. That's a good sum, at minimum 2 upper echelon free agents and 3 if you wanted but I'd lean towards 2 with a bunch of mid-level guys thrown in.

If the team can cut Berry, then the way I feel about Houston is you approach him and you talk to him about the future. One is, we can cut you right now and you can go see what you can get on the market and maybe you'll make $32m over the next 3 years or maybe you won't. Or, we can take your next 2 seasons and we spread them out over 3. We take the 15.25m you're set to make in 2019 and we make that a signing bonus and we take the 17.00m you're set to make in 2020 and we spread that out over the 3 years as your salary. We'll fully guarantee your 2019 portion of that salary. Houston now makes a guaranteed $20.92m by carving up his old contract (nearly the same as his total cap hit this season) and his cap hits are $16.6m in 2019, 12.75m in 2020, and 10.75m in 2021. He's worth that, in my opinion. That saves 4.5m against the cap in 2019 and 6.25m against the cap in 2020. You'd retain your premier edge player for the next 3 seasons. The savings you'd get between that restructure and Berry being cut is enough to carry a couple of mid-tier free agents.
I agree with the above. Berry is an unfortunate cut, approach Houston regarding restructure or trade him, tag and keep Ford, seek quality help in secondary with available cap from these moves, draft well.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:21 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
says you and like one other guy here on this board and not one single person anywhere in any media outlet, be it ESPN or any podcast or in any print media who have discussed the situation.

NOBODY, not a single person anywhere has said a word about Berry not being able to be cut due to the haglund's heel situation.

So until SOMEONE DOES, somebody, somewhere, who's job it is to cover such things, I think it's fair game for speculation.
What part of this is not clear to you?

Originally Posted by :
“He already has almost $3 million of his 2019 base salary fully guaranteed. The amount fully guaranteed will increase to $10.2 million on March 15th, which is the third day of the league year. Now... it’s already injury-guaranteed to $10.2 million
He's not going to pass a physical before the 15th of next Month and they would save practically nothing, even with a June 1st designation, once that guarantee kicks in. Give it a fucking rest already.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:25 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:

He's not going to pass a physical before the 15th of next Month and they would save practically nothing, even with a June 1st designation, once that guarantee kicks in. Give it a ****ing rest already.
who's quote?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:29 PM 02-18-2019
asking seriously. If there's a legit source I'm interested. I just don't assume some guy on an internet bulletin board knows anything more than I do. But if that quote is from a reputable source, I'll take it.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:39 PM 02-18-2019

He's not going to pass a physical before the 15th of next Month and they would save practically nothing, even with a June 1st designation, once that guarantee kicks in. Give it a ****ing rest already.
Not going to pass a physical? He played in the AFCCG and has not opted for surgery to this point.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:41 PM 02-18-2019

He passed a physical to play in the last game and didn't leave the game with an injury. Not our fault if he can't pass now
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up