ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs offensive struggles
O.city 09:32 AM 12-02-2019
Last 2 weeks have been pretty shitty on offense. Sure they scored yesterday, but that's against the shitbird Raiders and the Chiefs looked shitty doing it.

Mahomes doesn't look right to my eye. Anyone else notice he seemed to be laboring to even get back to hand the ball off at times? Is he still hurt?

He looks skiddish in the pocket (with the interior OL I guess I get it) but the Chiefs can't win in the playoffs without him being his normal self.

What's everyone's thoughts on whats going on? Am I just seeing shit?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:41 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea I get questioning the offense this week when everybody is healthy coming off a bye against a bad defense, but it should be no surprise that the “offense struggled” in a game like that against a solid d.

Actually, I haven’t been more down on the offense than I am this week all season because there’s really no excuses to point at aside from the wind.
Sure, but that same wind likely played a major role in helping our defense look like a top-5 unit. So it's entirely possible that it meaningfully impacted both QBs.

Again, if Mahomes didn't light up the Titans after coming back from his injury, I'd be more concerned. I also think it's possible they've been holding stuff back for the Patriots. We got off to a fast start and there really wasn't any reason for Reid to dig deep and empty the playbook.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:44 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Sure, but that same wind likely played a major role in helping our defense look like a top-5 unit. So it's entirely possible that it meaningfully impacted both QBs.

Again, if Mahomes didn't light up the Titans after coming back from his injury, I'd be more concerned. I also think it's possible they've been holding stuff back for the Patriots. We got off to a fast start and there really wasn't any reason for Reid to dig deep and empty the playbook.
I'm really really hoping THIS!
[Reply]
Halfcan 04:45 PM 12-02-2019
I guess people expect Mahomes to still be slinging it all over the field with a 30 point lead?

Lots of sad-sack depressing posters on this board, especially after a huge win!
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:48 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Oh shut the **** up already with this homer shit it’s the same thing you were just doing when people simply suggested giving Darwin a shot and expressed optimism about the young RB.

Looks like the “homers” were right that he deserved and opportunity, and I don’t see how suggesting that field/weather conditions have had a negative impact on the Chiefs passing game the last couple games makes you a “homer”. It’s an obvious observation.
Listen McCloud,

Don’t be so myopic in thinking that I’m focusing on people griping about the weather as the excuse for an inconsistent performance by the offense. I’m talking more about how this place gets euphoric after a win and how we’re going to stomp a mud hole in the Patriots arses, run the table, and win the Super Bowl. I really hope all of that happens, but I’m not setting myself up for that huge letdown if it inevitably happens by running my mouth and repping outlandish shit on a message board.

That game next week at Foxboro will be closely contested I hope, and the Chiefs will have their hands full with an elite defense in the Patriots backyard. The Pats usually play well coming off a loss which is rare.

Do you think the fact that Thompson running against a team that had waved the white flag at half time might’ve had something to do with his success yesterday? I’m happy for the guy and was pleased with the playcalling on that run heavy drive to close out the game -but even Stevie Wonder can see that the Raiders just wanted to fucking go home and had tapped out at half. If Thompson can carry the ball 22 times and get near one hundred yards, then great - until then, let’s not crown him as the next Jamaal Charles or anything crazy like that…

That Patriots D is for real, and Andy and Mahomes best be ready for a fight.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:51 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I haven't read through the whole thread but I'd like to make a comment that, In watching Mahomes weekly pressers this year I can see something is "up".As an expert in animal behavior, I notice little tendencies. you notice this year he has a little anxiety in his interviews, a lot of hands to the face and scratching. He didn't do this last year. I have an idea about it but hope it's not the case.
The Mom issues must be real.

That or he smokes rocks.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 04:57 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
We don't do much inside zone blocking, first of all.

It has more to do with the personnel groups and the actual formation. Shotgun usually has a single back set, with no lead blocker for the running back.

I formation has a fullback as the lead blocker.

A typical bread-and-butter play from the I-formation might have a name like "I right 32 iso". That means an I formation with the right side being the strong side -- the tight end and the flanker (the wide receiver a yard behind the line of scrimmage) are lined up to the right, with a split end (the wide receiver on the line of scrimmage) on the left. The 32 means the halfback (or the 3-back) is getting the ball and running through the 2-hole (between the center and right guard). "Iso" is short for isolation, meaning the fullback is leading the running back through the hole and engaging the middle linebacker in an isolation, one-on-one block. (You know, the kind of block where the MNF audience heard Ray Lewis complain that he was being double-teamed, but was just getting his ass kicked.)

The offensive linemen block the players in front of them, with each tackle taking a defensive end, a guard blocking one defensive tackle alone and the other guard and the center double-teaming the other defensive tackle. The tight end blocks the strongside linebacker, and the two receivers might run a flag or a hook route to take the cornerbacks out of the play.

A play like I right 32 ISO won't produce a lot of long runs, but that's not what it's designed for. If the right personnel executes it properly, it will accomplish one of two things: Either it will consistently allow the offense to gain four yards a pop (and an offense that can do that will march right down the field) or it will force the defense to bring the strong safety close to the line of scrimmage for run support. When TV announcers describe this, they call it "eight in the box, " and it means the defense is susceptible to the other bread-and-butter play of the I-formation: the play-action pass.

When the offense sees the strong safety playing run, it becomes clear that it's time to run the play action. The linemen and fullback have the same blocking responsibilities and try to make it look like a running play. The quarterback fakes a handoff to the running back, but instead of giving up the ball he goes into his seven-step drop. With the strong safety playing run support, the cornerback has no help in coverage on the flanker, who becomes the primary receiver on the play. This could be Hill's bread and butter. It's made for Mahomes to Hill.

The 3rd and 1 where Mahomes did a play fake and flicked the ball to Sausage out of the 22 personnel I formation was PERFECTION - the defense bit so hard on the play fake...

There's so much versatility in the I formation for this offense.

Let's talk a little more about the fullback, Sausage, who usually lines up about four yards behind the quarterback, with the running back usually about three yards further behind. At seven yards behind the line of scrimmage, the running back can easily survey the field to see where the defensive players are lining up, and he can get a full head of steam so that he's at full speed when he hits the line of scrimmage. The running back also has time to watch blocks develop and can find cutback lanes.

That's why running from under center is better than running from shotgun, for starters. The personnel and formations lend themselves better to more efficient running.
They actually DO run a shit-ton of zone blocking schemes since the majority of their run game is from 11 and 12 personnel, both inside and outside zone. When they are under center in 21 or 22, its usually outside zone or power scheme. Andy likes to have his vertical weapons on the field and often gets a weak box because of it. The problem is our shit line can't block 6v6, otherwise our RB's would be having a fucking field day.

At least quote your source if your going to copy paste a blob like that.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 05:30 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
We were without Hill and Watkins. Mahomes was at his most gimpy. Our OL was Swiss cheese. And we nearly won if not for a super costly RB fumble.
I'm not disputing that. I was responding to a poster saying our only poor offensive games were both wins.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:45 PM 12-02-2019
No need to overthink it, it’s a mishmash of several things that have all been mentioned

Mahomes working back to 100%
Patchwork O line for months on end
Terrible wind last night
Watkins glass vagina
Constant RB shuffling/no real bell cow
Any number of other things

Can’t do much about Watkins or the interior line right now, but we’ve otherwise got the band back together, and now they can start knocking the collective rust off... at just the right time

As long as the defense keeps taking steps forward, we’re in good shape
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 05:58 PM 12-02-2019
Offense has been bad lately anyone saying different is in denial. Defenses have adjusted to Mahomes strengths/weaknesses and our running game is pretty average. WRs are average outside Hill. Watkins isn't scaring anyone anymore. Oline is pretty good but as others have mentioned our Oline isn't built to be a running team.

We need someone to step up against the Pats cause they are going to look to take away Kelce and Hill. That happens and no one gets going it could be a long day.

Positive side I am happy to see Mahomes scrambling more. He's got some quickness to him and he should use it when he sees an opportunity. Also, Reid has a great offensive mind and we do have a lot of speed on O. I'm confident they will get it turned around but it is definitely something to keep an eye on.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:18 PM 12-02-2019
Can’t wait until the Chiefs move on from Watkins. What a waste of money.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:23 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Can’t wait until the Chiefs move on from Watkins. What a waste of money.
The cosmic space lizard is not long for this team
[Reply]
notorious 06:29 PM 12-02-2019
Fuck this regular season shit.

I will judge by playoff performance.
[Reply]
ModSocks 06:37 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
Fuck this regular season shit.

Exactly. That's all that really matters.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 07:41 PM 12-02-2019
This is the only thing that counts after 7 years
[Reply]
Chief Northman 07:52 PM 12-02-2019
**** this regular season shit.

Wisdom. Thanks for sharing it.
[Reply]