ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 83 of 92
« First < 33737980818283 84858687 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's Talk About the Bills (AFC Championship Edition)
cmh6476 05:11 PM 01-17-2021
They're pretty good
[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:09 AM 01-23-2021
The whole “Chiefs only won by x points” narrative rolling through talking head land is ridiculous. I hope we smoke these chuckleheads.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 09:09 AM 01-23-2021
6 of 9 ESPN experts are rolling with KC.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:17 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Matter2003:
Depends. There are only 2 games left. Over a full season of games, no. Is it possible over this game and if we manage to pull an upset the next game? Of course. The same way if you flip a coin 10 times you can get 7 heads but if you flipped it 100 times you would be more likely to be around 50/50. KC could have poor execution in the redzone also. It's a single game, they could be off also.

As far as scoring from outside the RedZone, the Bills rarely give up big plays. Anything is possible, but the likelihood is that they force the Chiefs to be patient while taking their shots at being aggressive at times. Can they hit big plays? Sure...anything can happen in a single game. Blown coverages, a guy falling down, great individual play by Hill or Kelce, etc...but on balance the Bills are a very disciplined defense that will not beat themselves and will make a team earn everything they get.

And to your point on Allen not recognizing things in that game, yes...that was a point I made earlier. Even he admitted that in the Tennessee and KC games they hadn't really faced those looks and didn't know how to attack it properly. But they figured it out as the year went on...San Fran, Denver and New England all tried to do that and got smoked. If KC doesn't have something new and isn't able to get pressure on Allen I have a hard time believing that is going to work again. That is kind of the whole point...teams evolve and improve as the year goes on...or get worse sometimes...what happened in week 6 will not have any bearing on the outcome of this game.

I still think KC has a good chance to win...probably 60/40 if I had to guess. But it's not going to be some cakewalk if they do. And it won't be some huge fluke if the Bills win. This is a very good team that is peaking at the right time, especially on defense. But I don't see a cakewalk for the Bills either if they win. I see a hard fought, competitive game that might come down to who has the ball last. Both QBs are exceptional in those situations.
Lots of teams that rarely give up big plays give up big plays to the Chiefs because of the depth of game-breaking playmakers. But it isn't just deep balls and 60+ yard plays. The Chiefs scored a lot of TDs from intermediate range this season, too.

The weather is going to suck again this time around (Freezing rain conditions) so I don't expect either team to make a bunch of hay bombing downfield.

As for doing something different, yes, the Chiefs are going to show the Bills different looks. Spagnuolo, if he's anything, is a DC who is going to show teams different things and try to be confusing and disguise what he's doing. (Unless the game is out of hand. Then he tends to go vanilla and opposing offenses usually move the ball OK).

The Chiefs' base defensive personnel is different now, too. With Sneed back, they're using Mathieu differently than in the Week 6 matchup. That's a major change in what KC shows pre-snap and what it does at the snap. Mathieu could literally have any assignement on a given play. Manned up against Diggs while the CB covering Diggs at the snap blitzes. Dropping into a deep zone. Playing joker or robber coverage over the middle. Blitzing. Spying. Forcing a pulling guard to come further outside and creating space for fellow defenders to fill the hole behind him.

I'll also push back against the assertion that week 6 game doesn't mean anything. It does. It's no guarantee things work out the same way, but it informs how individual groups match up against each other. It is informative, if not predictive.

I just did the math on this... The Chiefs are 21-25 scoring TDs in the red zone with Patrick Mahomes in his career 6 playoff games (2-3 against Cleveland last week - note that the one FG came on 1st and goal with 5 ticks on the 1st half clock; 13-15 last season; 6-7 in 2018). They've been incredibly efficient in the red zone with him at QB because they pair Reid's best creativity with Mahomes' mobility and unleash everything.

^ Note this also includes games against the 2018 Patriots and 2019 49ers, two elite defenses that matched up really well against KC.

The odds of them being suddenly really inefficient there would hinge on Mahomes being hobbled by the foot or less than normal (And there are no indications either is the case). The Bills' luck down there is, barring something really fluky, going to change. Can they survive it?
[Reply]
Red Dawg 09:18 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
The whole “Chiefs only won by x points” narrative rolling through talking head land is ridiculous. I hope we smoke these chuckleheads.
I bet if you look at Bradys average margin of victory in the playoffs its like 4 points. We are getting shit treatment for not blowing out teams. He sure as fuck doesn't. He was a non factor last week and got the credit for the win.
[Reply]
FAH-Q 09:21 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
I bet if you look at Bradys average margin of victory in the playoffs its like 4 points. We are getting shit treatment for not blowing out teams. He sure as **** doesn't. He was a non factor last week and got the credit for the win.
It is a conundrum for sure. When you think about teams that do the opposite and lose a bunch of 1 possession games I feel like the feedback is opposite, with praise and cliche comments like “they never quit” “they fight to the end” or “they just had some bad bounces go their way”...etc.

It is extremely hard to win games in the NFL, and even more difficult to win 14 games a season after going to the Super Bowl. This isn’t Madden. You can’t line up and beat the hell out of your opponent every week. Just doesn’t work like that.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 09:22 AM 01-23-2021
One interesting note...the Bills defensive numbers with and without LB Matt Milano this year are just stunning...

With Milano:
9th in rushing yards allowed per game
5th in passing yards allowed per game
8th in first downs allowed per game
2nd in points allowed per game
Record 12-0

Without Milano:
28th in rushing yards allowed per game
27th in passing yards allowed per game
31st in first downs allowed per game
29th in points allowed per game
Record 3-3

Bills did not have Milano against KC the first game. Will make a big difference in this game.

Keep searching for those hidden touchdowns.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:23 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Andy always breaks out brand new plays down in key situations such as the RZ during the playoffs.

Opposing fans hoping to hold them to 3s all day... well that’s all it is. Faint hope.

Look at the Saints game, one where Andy used fresh stuff cause they clearly thought they needed to. They were money that day.
Yeah, KC was 4/5 and the lone FG came at the end to stretch it to a 10-point lead late in the 4th quarter.

Again, a defense that matches up MUCH better against KC, with a much better defensive line than the Bills, better LB, a CB just as good as White, and equivalent safeties.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:25 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
Yeah, it's such lazy "analysis" from people who aren't doing anything more than looking at a schedule, feeding their confirmation bias.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:28 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
They've been incredibly efficient in the red zone with him at QB because they pair Reid's best creativity with Mahomes' mobility and unleash everything.

^ Note this also includes games against the 2018 Patriots and 2019 49ers, two elite defenses that matched up really well against KC.
Exactly.... that's when you saw Mahomes diving head first into 49ers defenders and a bit more creativeness overall.

And hopefully CEH is back, re: "since week 12".
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:31 AM 01-23-2021
Yeah, a small cover 2 linebacker is not going to make much of a difference if Buffalo drops its safeties that deep again. We're going to run straight at them. I like Milano but we are not going to be running slow developing sweeps like Baltimore where that range comes into play.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:37 AM 01-23-2021
One interesting note...the Bills defensive numbers with and without LB Matt Milano this year are just stunning...

With Milano:
9th in rushing yards allowed per game
5th in passing yards allowed per game
8th in first downs allowed per game
2nd in points allowed per game
Record 12-0

Without Milano:
28th in rushing yards allowed per game
27th in passing yards allowed per game
31st in first downs allowed per game
29th in points allowed per game
Record 3-3

Bills did not have Milano against KC the first game. Will make a big difference in this game.
The Chiefs didn't have Sneed in the first game. That's a bigger difference by far. Keep reaching.
[Reply]
Matter2003 09:41 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I think my favorite thing about Bills fans right now is what they have done to convince themselves about their defense.

In the regular season they played one top 10 scoring offense, Seattle, since the beginning of November. After that they played the 14, 18, 21, 12, 28, 27, and 15 ranked scoring offenses. The Chiefs finished against 10, 2, 28, 15, 6, 16, and 18. Much tougher competition.

It’s no coincidence then that in the playoffs the Bills defense and team got out gained in both games against consecutive better competition. Anyone watching can see it was luck, not an improved defense that helped with those red zone scoring numbers. On the Chiefs side, they played their backup QB against a good offense for almost half the game and still had 130 more yards than the Browns.
OK...on the flip side the Bills have played far tougher defenses than the Chiefs have and a far tougher schedule in general. Additionally they are the only team that made the playoffs with a strength of victory over .500

Always can flip the coin to show the other side and that goes both ways.
[Reply]
DJay23 09:41 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, it's such lazy "analysis" from people who aren't doing anything more than looking at a schedule, feeding their confirmation bias.
I've been telling the naysayers I come across that it should actually TERRIFY opposing teams the way we are winning close games.

Andy is playing Chess with the other coaches playing checkers for 3 quarters. Then he just walks away from the board and lets them try to figure out how to clear the board with the clock running out.
[Reply]
Best22 09:50 AM 01-23-2021
OK...on the flip side the Bills have played far tougher defenses than the Chiefs have and a far tougher schedule in general. Additionally they are the only team that made the playoffs with a strength of victory over .500

Always can flip the coin to show the other side and that goes both ways.
What makes Buffalo’s schedule so much tougher? Both teams are 5-0 against top ten defenses

KC faced TB, NO, BUF, BAL

BUF faced SEA, LAR, KC

I mean you guys played the Chiefs so in a way you had a tougher schedule, but that doesn’t make you a better team seeing that you lost to us
[Reply]
Matter2003 09:51 AM 01-23-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Yeah, a small cover 2 linebacker is not going to make much of a difference if Buffalo drops its safeties that deep again. We're going to run straight at them. I like Milano but we are not going to be running slow developing sweeps like Baltimore where that range comes into play.
They won't put up 200 yards even if that happens this game, I can promise you that.

Milano is far more than that on this defense...he does it all and frees up Edmunds a lot. He is exceptional at getting through creases and into the backfield which is why the run D is a lot better with him in there. Also our best cover LB against backs and TE. That doesn't mean much against Kelce because he is probably the best TE in football or at worst tied with Kittle, but even if he can win a few routes or make a key 3rd down stop here or there it can be meaningful.

The understated point is that Milano allows the Bills D to play the way they want to play and that they have been used to playing for the last 3 years. He and Edmunds never come off the field. Without him they have to change how they do things and make personnel adjustments they don't want to make in some situations and due to this have to play differently and have the rest of the defense play different roles at times to make up for it.

So while you may not think it is a big deal because he is a small cover 2 LB, we know it is because of how the Bills have to make personnel adjustments and how other player responsibilities change when he isn't in there.
[Reply]
Page 83 of 92
« First < 33737980818283 84858687 > Last »
Up