ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins mulling sitting out 2020 season
Hoover 09:07 AM 02-05-2020
Link

I appreciate Watkins being open about this. Curious to see if the Chiefs would be cool with him skipping OTAs if we signed a team friendly extension. I do think this really cools the trade market for him. Going to be interesting.

Originally Posted by :
Sammy Watkins spent part of the week leading up to Super Bowl LIV musing that he might take a year off from football if the Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

Two days after K.C. hoisted the Lombardi Trophy after knocking off the San Francisco 49ers, Watkins told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he is still considering some sort of break from the game this offseason, whether he's a member of the Chiefs or not.

"At the end of the day, I think the Kansas City Chiefs are in control as far as contract talks, you know? A guy of my stature, I'm still young, I still think I have a lot of good football in me. But as you know, it takes a toll on the body, the mental, the physical and I'm gonna really weigh my options out and see if I need to sit out the whole OTAs or something like that, just to get my mental back and be with my kids and family," Watkins said. "It's been a long season for the last two years. We've been in the playoffs, going all the way to the third round last year, then won the Super Bowl. So I honestly think mentally, physically, soulfully, spiritually, I need some downtime. So I will talk to coach [Andy] Reid about it.

"I don't control the contract, a trade or if they're going to give me a bigger contract. That's not my worry. I'm not really focused on the money aspect of it. I'm really focused on my health, mental health and really checking in on and making sure I'm OK with my life, my family, my wife, my kids. Once I figure that out, I think I'll be fine."

After four seasons with the Buffalo Bills and the Los Angeles Rams, Watkins signed a three-year deal worth $48 million with Kansas City during the 2018 offseason. After two so-so regular seasons and two spectacular postseasons, during which he dealt with injuries and played in 29 games, Watkins has one year left on his deal and is owed $14 million in 2020. However, if the Chiefs were to move on from Watkins, they would take on only $7 million in dead cap.

All this begs questions in the offseason as to whether K.C. want to retain Watkins at that price, whether the Chiefs will try to trade the receiver or whether they will renegotiate his deal. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported last week that Kansas City is more likely to trade or release Watkins. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said Tuesday afternoon that the Chiefs want to work something out with Watkins, though it won't be easy.

And then there's the query as to whether Watkins is willing to play on a pay cut or at all, given his recent comments. The receiver answered that definitively on SiriusXM NFL Radio, saying he has no intention to walk away.

"I'm too young to retire. I have not done enough yet, you know what I mean?" Watkins said. "Why not go win another championship and continue to be great? ... Be a Pro Bowl receiver. Be an All-Pro. There are a lot of things I haven't accomplished yet being. The Super Bowl is one of the biggest accomplishments in this league but I haven't did the individual goals yet and hopefully I can accomplish those next year either with the Kansas City Chiefs or another team.

"Those are the little things I want to hit, not to be selfish, but those are things I haven't really done in my career and those are things I want to do. Hopefully the next eight, nine years if I continue to be blessed and play that long, that I have those Hall of Fame numbers that I'm shooting for. Those are the dreams that I still haven't accomplished yet and those are the things I still want to accomplish."

At just 26 years old, Watkins has already reached the peak of professional football. But as he said, the receiver has not reached his personal goals. A 2014 first-round pick, Watkins has yet to reach the Pro Bowl or be voted to an All-Pro team. He has gone over 1,000 receiving yards in a season just once and averaged 707.3 yards per year through six campaigns. After scoring eight touchdowns in 2017, Watkins has logged just six in the past two regular seasons.

Now that he has won the Super Bowl, these are the numbers that stand out to him, the things to drive him to want to play on, for Kansas City or another team.

All Watkins needs is a little time off to get his head (and contract situation) right.

[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:52 AM 02-05-2020
Sammy has earned the right to skip OTAs. It’s not like he’s a rookie or a new player
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 11:08 AM 02-05-2020
2 things I'm hearing whether fair or unfair:

1) Not sure how motivated he is to play football right now.

2) If he DOES want to play football next year, seems like his career 'focus' or 'aspirations' now are more in line with individual achievements.

Don't necessarily fault him for that, mind you, but realistically, he's not going to be going to the Pro Bowl or be an All-Pro with this offense. Too many other options. With all that in mind and the money issue, think its time to move on from Sammy. Especially since we have Hardman and Pringle in the fold.

I like Sammy, but wonder how he is going to fit on this team going forward? Not only financially, but is he gonna pout if he's not 'getting his'?

I appreciate the dude being open and honest, but I see a lot of red flags here that this team doesn't need to deal with next year. And that's not even taking into account the on-going health issues with him.

Love ya, Sammy. Appreciate what you did this post-season, but time to move on.

No hard feelings.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:09 AM 02-05-2020
I think that personal stuff he is talking about is kind of him swiping back at all the people who say he's a draft bust and he's not a 1 and all that.
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:19 AM 02-05-2020
Sanders is a FA and will be much cheaper...he would be a great complimentary fit in this offense.

Mahomes would have hit that late bomb to him...luckily Grape-hugger choked.

That said...Chiefs won a SB because Watkins was clutch. He was worth it...
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:20 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Sanders is a FA and will be much cheaper...he would be a great complimentary fit in this offense.
Dude is old asf and he flakes on us before. He can get fucked
[Reply]
notorious 11:22 AM 02-05-2020
Sanders can get fucked by an oil tanker.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:23 AM 02-05-2020
AJ Green is a FA...not really sure how anything with him will go though.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:25 AM 02-05-2020

Mahomes would have hit that late bomb to him...luckily Grape-hugger choked.

That said...Chiefs won a SB because Watkins was clutch. He was worth it...
Sanders is still really damn fast. Only cost the 49ers $6 million this year. That could be a great move for KC if they have to let Sammy go.
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:25 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Dude is old asf and he flakes on us before. He can get ****ed
He chose to play with Manning over Smith...and got a ring. As much as you want to hate him...it was the right decision.

WRs are going to start doing the same thing to play with Mahomes...
[Reply]
DRM08 11:28 AM 02-05-2020
He chose to play with Manning over Smith...and got a ring. As much as you want to hate him...it was the right decision.

WRs are going to start doing the same thing to play with Mahomes...
Defensive players should be doing it too. Think about a team like Chicago or Buffalo that have pretty strong defenses, but the QB is a major problem for them. Hell, arguably the same statement applies to those Niner defenders as well. The gap between Jimmy and Mahomes in the clutch was ENORMOUS.
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:37 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Defensive players should be doing it too. Think about a team like Chicago or Buffalo that have pretty strong defenses, but the QB is a major problem for them. Hell, arguably the same statement applies to those Niner defenders as well. The gap between Jimmy and Mahomes in the clutch was ENORMOUS.
I think the back-door shit that happened with Sanders had more to do with Horseface being an unethical scumbag...he swooped in and used Manning as a chess-piece to sway him.
[Reply]
Mahomes_Is_God 12:32 PM 02-05-2020
Sammy Watkins was born with glass bones and paper skin. Every moring he breaks his legs, and every afternoon he breaks his arms. At night, he lies awake in agony until his heart attacks put him to sleep. Give the poor lad his time off.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:34 PM 02-05-2020
I think the back-door shit that happened with Sanders had more to do with Horseface being an unethical scumbag...he swooped in and used Manning as a chess-piece to sway him.

dude.

I'm no Donk or Elway fan, but if Veach pulled that move, we'd all be laughing and slapping ourselves on the back about how clever our GM is.

That wasn't unethical.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:40 PM 02-05-2020
Watkins just said on his IG that he’s coming back next year!!!
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:41 PM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
dude.

I'm no Donk or Elway fan, but if Veach pulled that move, we'd all be laughing and slapping ourselves on the back about how clever our GM is.

That wasn't unethical.
Yeah that's on that dumb fuck Sanders. Unless Elway offered him more money under the table or something.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up