ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins mulling sitting out 2020 season
Hoover 09:07 AM 02-05-2020
Link

I appreciate Watkins being open about this. Curious to see if the Chiefs would be cool with him skipping OTAs if we signed a team friendly extension. I do think this really cools the trade market for him. Going to be interesting.

Originally Posted by :
Sammy Watkins spent part of the week leading up to Super Bowl LIV musing that he might take a year off from football if the Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

Two days after K.C. hoisted the Lombardi Trophy after knocking off the San Francisco 49ers, Watkins told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he is still considering some sort of break from the game this offseason, whether he's a member of the Chiefs or not.

"At the end of the day, I think the Kansas City Chiefs are in control as far as contract talks, you know? A guy of my stature, I'm still young, I still think I have a lot of good football in me. But as you know, it takes a toll on the body, the mental, the physical and I'm gonna really weigh my options out and see if I need to sit out the whole OTAs or something like that, just to get my mental back and be with my kids and family," Watkins said. "It's been a long season for the last two years. We've been in the playoffs, going all the way to the third round last year, then won the Super Bowl. So I honestly think mentally, physically, soulfully, spiritually, I need some downtime. So I will talk to coach [Andy] Reid about it.

"I don't control the contract, a trade or if they're going to give me a bigger contract. That's not my worry. I'm not really focused on the money aspect of it. I'm really focused on my health, mental health and really checking in on and making sure I'm OK with my life, my family, my wife, my kids. Once I figure that out, I think I'll be fine."

After four seasons with the Buffalo Bills and the Los Angeles Rams, Watkins signed a three-year deal worth $48 million with Kansas City during the 2018 offseason. After two so-so regular seasons and two spectacular postseasons, during which he dealt with injuries and played in 29 games, Watkins has one year left on his deal and is owed $14 million in 2020. However, if the Chiefs were to move on from Watkins, they would take on only $7 million in dead cap.

All this begs questions in the offseason as to whether K.C. want to retain Watkins at that price, whether the Chiefs will try to trade the receiver or whether they will renegotiate his deal. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported last week that Kansas City is more likely to trade or release Watkins. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said Tuesday afternoon that the Chiefs want to work something out with Watkins, though it won't be easy.

And then there's the query as to whether Watkins is willing to play on a pay cut or at all, given his recent comments. The receiver answered that definitively on SiriusXM NFL Radio, saying he has no intention to walk away.

"I'm too young to retire. I have not done enough yet, you know what I mean?" Watkins said. "Why not go win another championship and continue to be great? ... Be a Pro Bowl receiver. Be an All-Pro. There are a lot of things I haven't accomplished yet being. The Super Bowl is one of the biggest accomplishments in this league but I haven't did the individual goals yet and hopefully I can accomplish those next year either with the Kansas City Chiefs or another team.

"Those are the little things I want to hit, not to be selfish, but those are things I haven't really done in my career and those are things I want to do. Hopefully the next eight, nine years if I continue to be blessed and play that long, that I have those Hall of Fame numbers that I'm shooting for. Those are the dreams that I still haven't accomplished yet and those are the things I still want to accomplish."

At just 26 years old, Watkins has already reached the peak of professional football. But as he said, the receiver has not reached his personal goals. A 2014 first-round pick, Watkins has yet to reach the Pro Bowl or be voted to an All-Pro team. He has gone over 1,000 receiving yards in a season just once and averaged 707.3 yards per year through six campaigns. After scoring eight touchdowns in 2017, Watkins has logged just six in the past two regular seasons.

Now that he has won the Super Bowl, these are the numbers that stand out to him, the things to drive him to want to play on, for Kansas City or another team.

All Watkins needs is a little time off to get his head (and contract situation) right.

[Reply]
SAUTO 10:22 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Hardman allows us to move Hill around all over the different formations. Watkins is your precision route runner.
and probably has the best hands
[Reply]
DRM08 10:24 AM 02-05-2020
So what kind of contract would y'all give him if you were Veach? I would maybe try to do something like 4 years for $36M fully guaranteed. That's $9M per year, which is a lot better for the team than the $16M average on his current contract. But it's also $6M higher in guaranteed money than what he got before.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:25 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
So what kind of contract would y'all give him if you were Veach? I would maybe try to do something like 4 years for $36M fully guaranteed. That's $9M per year, which is a lot better for the team than the $16M average on his current contract.
I think he’s good at $9-$10 million a season.
[Reply]
O.city 10:26 AM 02-05-2020
If you could get him down that much, that's enough to extend Breeland or someone similar potentially
[Reply]
notorious 10:27 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
he's aready backing off.

before the SB: i might sit out a year
after: i might sit out ota's

he's going to be here next year IMO, one way or another.
👍
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:29 AM 02-05-2020
I’d do 11 mil a year for Watkins and let him to take how much time away he needs in order to get right. Just be back by training camp
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:37 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
No, we’ll have to go sign someone or start Robinson.
Robinson is likely gone. He'll likely get overpaid in F/A. But i agree, we need another guy to line up outside. Hardman will take over for Robinson in the slot.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:38 AM 02-05-2020
Let him skip OTAs and if that isn’t enough, welp the world stands still for no one... the train rolls on
[Reply]
Molitoth 10:38 AM 02-05-2020
I'd continue to see what they have in Pringle.
I think Pat will keep making champions out of whomever you put with him.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:42 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
I'd continue to see what they have in Pringle.
I think Pat will keep making champions out of whomever you put with him.
That well can run dry. See Russel Wilson. I wouldn't fuck with a good thing. Keep throwing weapons at Mahomes and lets not run out of ways to hurt a defense.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:44 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
That well can run dry. See Russel Wilson. I wouldn't fuck with a good thing. Keep throwing weapons at Mahomes and lets not run out of ways to hurt a defense.
Yep. Draft a WR every year. And bring in a couple as UDFAs.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:45 AM 02-05-2020
He's not sitting out the season. He was interviewed after the SB and said he wasnt sitting out the season and he also said if hes going to get ridiculous questions he's gonna give a ridiculous answer, in regards to him saying he might take next season off.

When it comes to the offseason I think he should be able to sit out most everything. He's a vet and I think he knows the system pretty well. Id like to have him a few more years. He was as clutch as anyone during the playoffs and SB.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:49 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
That well can run dry. See Russel Wilson. I wouldn't **** with a good thing. Keep throwing weapons at Mahomes and lets not run out of ways to hurt a defense.
It blows my mind how much Seattle has been wasting Russell's talent. His previous contract was only around $22M per year. There was no excuse for them to not have a better team around him during that time. Now that he's at $35M, it won't get easier for them.
[Reply]
loochy 10:50 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
I’d let him skip OTAs just make sure he ready by training camp. On a side note Jones told Rich Eisen that he may take a hometown discount to stay with the Chiefs!!

https://youtu.be/4t2GLl2ZD4Y
Of course he can skip OTAs. They're OTAs. Maybe his teammates won't like it, but so what.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:52 AM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
I like Sammy but I think Hardman can fill his spot..
I don't think you want to roll with Hardman at #2. He doesn't run the best routes just yet. You hope he continues to develop, but the only reason he got his stats this year is because of Tyreek, Kelce and Sammy giving him some opportunities to capitalize on his speed. I don't doubt he'll be a legit #2 in time, but we need to have a legit #2 WR next year if Sammy walks.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up