ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Media Center>Star Wars post Skywalker
keg in kc 04:29 PM 01-05-2020
Project Luminous? Rumored to be Star Wars pre Skywalker era, but rather than Old Republic era it will be so-called High Republic, about 400 years before the Battle of Yavin (which means Yoda is alive...) and it may start with a video game next year before branching out into print, TV and eventually film. Basically sounds like, instead of doing trilogies, they're going to try to go the route of the MCU.

Couple different sources initially out with leaks about this yesterday, and it's starting to spread wider today.

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/t...-republic-era/
https://ziro.hu/english/exclusive-pr...-of-star-wars/
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-future...ct-luminosity/

If this is real it should be announced by Disney in the next few weeks. We shall see.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:56 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
But, no matter what they do, they'll likely never get back what the original trilogy set in place for them. They squandered that.
I don't think I'd go quite that far.

One Billion Dollar movies, even in this day and age, are far and few between so while RoS may come in a bit lighter than TLJ, it's still considered a success.

If Lucasfilm, regardless of who's running it, can continue to put out quality TV series like The Mandalorian over the course of the next few years, I think it's highly possible for them to create a tentpole film 4 or 5 years down the line.

But the only way that I can see them doing just that is by building the new Star Wars Galaxy organically, meaning create a character or characters that the audience adores that screams "Big Screen".

If they continue to make films that no one wants to see, the downward spiral will continue for the foreseeable future.
[Reply]
Sorry 07:17 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I know that you're hating on JJ over this film but keep in mind, he had 3 months less to write, shoot and edit RoS than TFA, which was less time than RJ had for TLJ.

Given the time restraints, it's a minor miracle that the film isn't a disaster of epic proportions.
I think JJ is creative and good at his job personally
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 07:33 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Trailing TLJ :-)

What a fail
The gap is widening. I remember people using the odd early release days as an excuse as to why the numbers started down with XII, but the last 4 days, Thurs - Sun, brought in $43,779,550. Days 14-17 of TLJ brought in $72,010,469, according to Box Office Mojo.

That can still change, of course, and TLJ dropped into single millions starting with day 19 (IX first did it on day 14 but then got a two day bounce back before falling back under $10m on Sunday), so it's still possible that the numbers tighten back up a bit. But, even so, we're looking at numbers that are, at best, going to be in the ball park of what was a relative box office disaster.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 11:48 PM 01-06-2020
I really don't want to see any more recast OT characters. It just doesn't work for me. I can't buy anyone else playing those characters with the sole exception being Ewan. Is the Kenobi movie still happening?
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:40 AM 01-07-2020
Not a movie but a limited series on Disney plus.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 10:31 AM 01-07-2020
This just shows that Rey should've died, the Palpatines should've died, and Ben should've been the lone survivor to rebuild the Jedi Order. I would watch another movie of Ben being the hero that Luke Skywalker should've been made out to be in the sequel trilogy. Adam Driver living with the guilt, being a reborn again dark side user, would've been intriguing material. Hell even introduce Gray Jedi with him and evolve the mythos. You can leave Finn and Poe off the script entirely and build a new franchise surrounding that storyline.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:46 PM 01-07-2020
hello there

[Reply]
Just Passin' By 05:52 PM 01-07-2020
It's probably just some quirky data point, but IX took in just $3m last night, which was an 80.5% drop from the previous week.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:09 PM 01-07-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
It's probably just some quirky data point, but IX took in just $3m last night, which was an 80.5% drop from the previous week.
It was also the Monday kids returned to school and regular life schedules resumed.
[Reply]
Valiant 07:37 PM 01-07-2020
I think it needs to be Kotor done as a movie. With that they can hd remake the game for sales and increase paid membership into their mmo game.

There is enough lore for twenty years of movies and spinoffs and what most people want. Thousands of sith and Jedi where you could pull off GoT storylines.

Just need a leader that can see a project through that long. They have that currently.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:41 AM 01-08-2020
Question regarding the '30 years of gold' though - did the recent trilogy poison that well so much that there's going to be less interest in that interim period?

Do I really care at this point what went on over that 30 year span when I know that Han, Luke and even to some extent Leia ended up shattered husks?

They just brought this ship in for such a hard landing that I think they've damaged an era that really should've been ripe for mining ideas. I think the Obi-Wan stuff has some legs because he wasn't spoiled by the final trilogy but I have a really hard time giving a damn about Luke's "Jedi Master" era at this point or even Han's return to his smuggler roots knowing that all of them end up pretty miserable when everything is said and done.
[Reply]
Jamie 12:13 PM 01-08-2020
Also I think it's hard to get average people (as in, not super-fans) to care about in-between stories. That, I think, was the real problem with Solo. They didn't give people a reason to go see it. It had less to do with the backlash against TLJ and more with the fact Rogue One didn't have any impact on the story moving forward. Remember all the speculation that Rogue One would introduce Rey's parents, or explain Snoke? But then it didn't, and people went "oh, these side movies are skippable".
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:21 PM 01-08-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Also I think it's hard to get average people (as in, not super-fans) to care about in-between stories. That, I think, was the real problem with Solo. They didn't give people a reason to go see it. It had less to do with the backlash against TLJ and more with the fact Rogue One didn't have any impact on the story moving forward. Remember all the speculation that Rogue One would introduce Rey's parents, or explain Snoke? But then it didn't, and people went "oh, these side movies are skippable".
I completely disagree.

Rogue One earned more than $1 billion at the box office and while Solo didn't meet the earning expectations, it was a very good and very well made film that's doing extremely well on Netflix and Disney+ in terms of streaming numbers.

The Mandalorian, which is set 5 years after RotJ and 25 years before TFA, has been an enormous hit and it's expected that the Obi Wan series will do just as well.

The Rogue One prequel series is being written by Oscar Nominee Tony Gilroy and their showrunner is none other than Stephen Schiff, who produced the very well regarded TV show, The Americans.

There is FAR more interest within the hardcore fanbase for TV and films set in the Prequel and OT era than something set hundreds or thousands of years outside the classic time period.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:34 PM 01-08-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Question regarding the '30 years of gold' though - did the recent trilogy poison that well so much that there's going to be less interest in that interim period?

Do I really care at this point what went on over that 30 year span when I know that Han, Luke and even to some extent Leia ended up shattered husks?
There's at least 20 years of stories to be told between the ending of RotJ and the start of TFA that could be set in "happier" times for Luke, Leia, Lando and Han which could include the formation of The New Republic, Luke's Jedi Academy (which could be an awesome series of its own) and more stories of lawlessness and change throughout the galaxy, like The Mandalorian.

Who wouldn't want to see a limited TV series about Lando's exploits throughout the galaxy after the demise of the Empire and the rise of the New Republic? Hell that premise alone is exciting.

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
They just brought this ship in for such a hard landing that I think they've damaged an era that really should've been ripe for mining ideas. I think the Obi-Wan stuff has some legs because he wasn't spoiled by the final trilogy but I have a really hard time giving a damn about Luke's "Jedi Master" era at this point or even Han's return to his smuggler roots knowing that all of them end up pretty miserable when everything is said and done.
There could also be so much more to their stories than what we briefly saw onscreen, just like Rogue One and Star Wars Rebels brought to the OT era, which saw the Inquisitors, The Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister, the death of Darth Maul and the training of a would-be Jedi in Ezra Bridger.

Maybe these wouldn't appeal to you but if they're as well done as The Mandalorian, long time fans that were "turned off" by the sequels would eventually tune in to find out what's they're all about.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:42 PM 01-08-2020
Originally Posted by Valiant:
I think it needs to be Kotor done as a movie
I'll be surprised if that happens any time in the next decade, if ever, because a movie or series of movies based on KOTOR would face the same scrutiny as the sequels - something Lucasfilm is desperately trying to avoid.

Plus, adapting a film or series from video games has its own built-in downside because you'd need Creatives that want to spend years adapting and prepping for something that's completely unoriginal from their own perspective and if they got it "wrong", it could be career killing.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up