ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 172
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
MikeMaslowski 03:18 PM 03-15-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
He will but I'm doubting it will be this season.
Agreed. Bet he will be at the beginning of the next. Oh, and I don't really like the Kim character. Did she die in the comics? Oh, wait.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:32 PM 03-15-2016
I like Kim. Last night's episode proved her boss is a dick!
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:06 PM 03-15-2016
Renewed for a 10-ep 3rd season.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 05:12 PM 03-15-2016
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Renewed for a 10-ep 3rd season.
No doubt...love this show
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 05:22 PM 03-15-2016
I don't understand people's hurry to get to more BB characters. The BB story line pretty much means the end of this story line.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:23 PM 03-15-2016
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I don't understand people's hurry to get to more BB characters. The BB story line pretty much means the end of this story line.

Not Gus and Mike. They were together for awhile before we met them in BB.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:08 AM 03-16-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But Chuck may also have a fair amount of insight into 'Slippin' Jimmy' that the audience also doesn't have. It could very easily be that past knowledge along with the present knowledge of Jimmy's backslide with the billboard that makes him wary of pretty much everything surrounding Jimmy. If you're friends with a reformed alcoholic and you walk into his house while he's drinking a Budweiser, are you going to assume that's the only drink he's had that day? Week? Month? Of course not - you're going to assume he's fallen off the wagon outright. Chuck assumed the same of Jimmy and Chuck was absolutely right.

I'm sure we've all heard it from a parent at some point whenever we get scolded for something we didn't do - "well consider it a scolding for something I didn't catch ya doing..." Well that's kinda what we're looking at here with Chuck. It's pretty hard to say "well Chuck didn't know about all that shady shit" when Chuck got it right and likely got it right due to decades of past experience with Jimmy.

Like I said - I absolutely agree that Chuck's deceit was what made this objectionable, but it was also exceedingly human and what makes him a well written character. If you have a willing hatchetman and you're dealing with a family member, virtually all of us would try to use a proxy to save us from the brunt of turning away family. Why wouldn't you? I don't even have a huge problem with that.

The only place I see Chuck truly failing as a human being was in how caustically he explained all of it to Jimmy.
Like I said last season, folks - Chuck knows some shit about Jimmy that we don't.

Remember that time that Jimmy kinda killed his dad? Yeah, that shit's gonna stick with you for awhile.

I still don't dislike Chuck. He's not a perfect person, but he has ample cause not to trust Jimmy and frankly, if I my sibling had 'was a factor in the death of my paragon of virtue father' on the ol' resume, I'm not sure I'd be even as cordial as Chuck has been to Jimmy thus far.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:46 PM 03-16-2016
Like I said last season, folks - Chuck knows some shit about Jimmy that we don't.

Remember that time that Jimmy kinda killed his dad? Yeah, that shit's gonna stick with you for awhile.

I still don't dislike Chuck. He's not a perfect person, but he has ample cause not to trust Jimmy and frankly, if I my sibling had 'was a factor in the death of my paragon of virtue father' on the ol' resume, I'm not sure I'd be even as cordial as Chuck has been to Jimmy thus far.
It's entirely possible that Chuck's story was 100 percent true. But let's remember: It was told completely from his POV.

I think there's room for skepticism. For instance, he told Kim his father was a paragon of honesty, a saint, really put him on a pedestal. Thus, he couldn't imagine Dad doing anything remotely wrong.

So what if ... that $14,000 missing from the business was actually Dad spending a bit on, say, gambling, or some other vice. Chuck's idealization of his Dad -- and his inherent dislike/distrust of his brother -- may have led him to wrongly assume Jimmy skimmed the money. His Dad wouldn't accept that because he knew Jimmy was innocent, but he was too guilt-ridden to fess up to Chuck.

Is Jimmy so pathological that he would steal from his father? Maybe.

Is Chuck so jealous of his brother, the proverbial prodigal son who is loved by the father despite his faults, who unlike Chuck has the gift of charm (which even works on Chuck's prim and proper wife Rebecca), that he would think the worst of him -- or even tell a lie to Kim in order to hurt Jimmy the only way he knows how, by driving a wedge between Jimmy and his girl? Maybe.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:59 PM 03-16-2016
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
It's entirely possible that Chuck's story was 100 percent true. But let's remember: It was told completely from his POV.

I think there's room for skepticism. For instance, he told Kim his father was a paragon of honesty, a saint, really put him on a pedestal. Thus, he couldn't imagine Dad doing anything remotely wrong.

So what if ... that $14,000 missing from the business was actually Dad spending a bit on, say, gambling, or some other vice. Chuck's idealization of his Dad -- and his inherent dislike/distrust of his brother -- may have led him to wrongly assume Jimmy skimmed the money. His Dad wouldn't accept that because he knew Jimmy was innocent, but he was too guilt-ridden to fess up to Chuck.

Is Chuck so jealous of his brother, the proverbial prodigal son who is loved by the father despite his faults, who unlike Chuck has the gift of charm (which even works on Chuck's prim and proper wife Rebecca), that he would think the worst of him -- or even tell a lie to Kim in order to hurt Jimmy the only way he knows how, by driving a wedge between Jimmy and his girl? Maybe.
True story; but it gets back to an old hearsay exception: "Not introduced to prove the truth of the matter asserted..."

I'm not pointing it out to suggest that it's necessarily 100% accurate - but Chuck thinks it is and it colors his view of Jimmy. As such, Chuck's actions and distrust of Jimmy isn't driven by malevolent motives, but rather genuine concern over the well-being of his silk stocking law practice.

And as noted way back when...he was right w/r/t to Jimmy's underhanded dealings, something that Kim is now also seeing surface with regularity.

Jimmy's a sympathetic figure and as you noted, he's damn charming. But he's NOT right for a large firm and frankly he's probably not cut out for the practice of law. You can't have a legal system full of guys doing what Jimmy does; the thing will fall apart.

Chuck's right - giving Jimmy a law degree is giving a chimp a machine gun. The dude just refuses to straighten up and fly right.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:02 PM 03-16-2016
True story; but it gets back to an old hearsay exception: "Not introduced to prove the truth of the matter asserted..."

I'm not pointing it out to suggest that it's necessarily 100% accurate - but Chuck thinks it is and it colors his view of Jimmy. As such, Chuck's actions and distrust of Jimmy isn't driven by malevolent motives, but rather genuine concern over the well-being of his silk stocking law practice.

And as noted way back when...he was right w/r/t to Jimmy's underhanded dealings, something that Kim is now also seeing surface with regularity.

Jimmy's a sympathetic figure and as you noted, he's damn charming. But he's NOT right for a large firm and frankly he's probably not cut out for the practice of law. You can't have a legal system full of guys doing what Jimmy does; the thing will fall apart.

Chuck's right - giving Jimmy a law degree is giving a chimp a machine gun. The dude just refuses to straighten up and fly right.
When the going gets tough, you don't want a criminal lawyer. You want a criminal lawyer, knowwhatimsayin?
[Reply]
siberian khatru 04:01 PM 03-16-2016
I think Chuck's motives are deeper than professional. Of course, he wants to protect his firm. But I think he's also jealous of Jimmy, who has the people skills Chuck doesn't -- they even work on Rebecca! Growing up, Chuck was always the serious, hard-working one; Jimmy cut corners but people didn't care because he was popular. Chuck has always resented that.

Telling that story to Kim was a way to get her to distance herself from Jimmy. A twofer: Good for the firm -- and sure to hurt Jimmy.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 04:07 PM 03-16-2016
Jimmy's brother is such a dick. Curious what starts the downfall with his wife and with Kim and Jimmy
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 05:22 PM 03-16-2016
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:

Well put.

Chuck has grandized Jimmy's screwups because there's a deep seeded jealousy.
Jimmy even called him on his sanctimonious BS in indirectly pushing the fallout with Kim and him.
No matter how much Jimmy helps Chuck and his loony condition, he is determined to knock his brother down a peg- at work, with Kim, with his wife, going to law school, becoming a lawyer, at HHM when he worked in the mail room, and on and on... .

No one is perfect, and Chuck is incapable of seeing his own faults, and especially his father's, so Jimmy is the source of blame, because his father could NEVER do anything wrong - except favor Jimmy over Chuck.

His putting in a good word with Howard was only after trying to further drive a wedge between her and Jimmy, just like he doesn't want him to be successful at the new firm.

For whatever reason, Chuck's self worth is very dependant on proving his superiority to Jimmy. He can't even stand his wife liking his own brother.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 07:54 PM 03-16-2016
Becca's wanted Jimmy's dick all up in her.
[Reply]
eDave 07:55 PM 03-16-2016
Excellent analysis guys.
[Reply]
Page 53 of 172
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Up