ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 119 of 172
« First < 1969109115116117118119 120121122123129169 > Last »
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
eDave 01:12 PM 10-05-2018
Was this the first episode where "fuck" was uncensored? Heard it once from Jimmy.
[Reply]
carcosa 01:18 PM 10-05-2018
They said fuck last week too
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 01:36 PM 10-05-2018
Originally Posted by sedated:
Well, season 1 of BCS feels like it was about 37 years ago, so it's understandable.
I have no idea why, but I agree.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:10 PM 10-08-2018
Don't miss this one
[Reply]
siberian khatru 08:28 PM 10-08-2018
BOOM
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:08 PM 10-08-2018
Wow. That hit hard.
[Reply]
eDave 11:24 PM 10-08-2018
That cinematography of the gunshot scene blew me away.

No pun intended.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:55 AM 10-09-2018
What a great show.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:17 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:

No pun intended.
That strikes me as one of those scenes where the actors involved spent that whole day on edge and somber. And when it was over they all poured themselves a stiff drink.

We view this show as the transformation of James McGill but in reality, we've seen Mike go from a cynical, hardened survivor to a legitimate gangland assassin and straight up murderer.

Jimmy was always going to be Saul. And frankly, Mike didn't put up much of a fight to becoming Fring's chief killer in his own right, but man - it sure seems more like it didn't really have to be this way for him, doesn't it? Saul's emergence was a fait accompli but Mike's seems to be a genuine tragedy.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:31 AM 10-09-2018
I can't say enough about the economic genius of the cold open, and particularly the choice of song.

First off, it was a great ear to recall a song that is both cheesy and totally karaoke appropriate, and yet timeless and emotionally resonant at the same time.

And then it just blossomed all these themes that were simmering under the surface of the narrative. It multi-tasked to take us back and showed us other sides of these characters, and set the table for the resentments that would fester and the pain to come.

Chuck is perfunctorily proud as he vouches for Jimmy at the swearing ceremony, and he even makes a low-key appearance at a scrub/newby party after. To the casual observer, he's just a shy, prim and proper, but proud, older brother. But given the story we know unfolds, you think you might see signs of him straining mightily to bite his tongue.

Then Jimmy cajoles him onto the stage. And here they make full use of 'David St. Hubbins' casting Chuck as a reluctant participant, . . . until the mic is in his hands. Turns out, surprise, not only is Chuck not a shy guy or poor singer, . . . he's a born star!! And he subtly and completely [and by some measures justifiably] steal's Jimmy's moment of joy and triumph by sheer unavoidable superiority.

Then you follow them home, and Chuck is again exceedingly patient as Jimmy makes big talk about firm takeover and immediate plans to put his stamp on his brother's firm. It's left to the ambiguity of the writing and Jimmy's drunkenness whether this big talk is trying to bond with his brother or just plain ego.

Through it all Chuck is not only perfunctory in his care for his drunk brother, but goes the extra mile, joining him in bed to stay and watch over him, and sharing an encore of the karaoke.

In a few short minutes, you see the best and worst of the central Jimmy and Chuck dynamic. It was revisited, summarized and given new perspective all at the same time.

And then, the theme of that cheesy, emotional, karaoke song was revisited when he tells 'Esposito the shoplifter' that the winner takes it all. And we're left with the ambiguity whether this was a lyric that has simmered in his craw for years or just a general cliche that fit his mood of the time.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:49 AM 10-09-2018

No pun intended.
The mirror scene was just as powerful of shot.

Really amazing television.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:54 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I can't say enough about the economic genius of the cold open, and particularly the choice of song.

First off, it was a great ear to recall a song that is both cheesy and totally karaoke appropriate, and yet timeless and emotionally resonant at the same time.

And then it just blossomed all these themes that were simmering under the surface of the narrative. It multi-tasked to take us back and showed us other sides of these characters, and set the table for the resentments that would fester and the pain to come.

Chuck is perfunctorily proud as he vouches for Jimmy at the swearing ceremony, and he even makes a low-key appearance at a scrub/newby party after. To the casual observer, he's just a shy, prim and proper, but proud, older brother. But given the story we know unfolds, you think you might see signs of him straining mightily to bite his tongue.

Then Jimmy cajoles him onto the stage. And here they make full use of 'David St. Hubbins' casting Chuck as a reluctant participant, . . . until the mic is in his hands. Turns out, surprise, not only is Chuck not a shy guy or poor singer, . . . he's a born star!! And he subtly and completely [and by some measures justifiably] steal's Jimmy's moment of joy and triumph by sheer unavoidable superiority.

Then you follow them home, and Chuck is again exceedingly patient as Jimmy makes big talk about firm takeover and immediate plans to put his stamp on his brother's firm. It's left to the ambiguity of the writing and Jimmy's drunkenness whether this big talk is trying to bond with his brother or just plain ego.

Through it all Chuck is not only perfunctory in his care for his drunk brother, but goes the extra mile, joining him in bed to stay and watch over him, and sharing an encore of the karaoke.

In a few short minutes, you see the best and worst of the central Jimmy and Chuck dynamic. It was revisited, summarized and given new perspective all at the same time.

And then, the theme of that cheesy, emotional, karaoke song was revisited when he tells 'Esposito the shoplifter' that the winner takes it all. And we're left with the ambiguity whether this was a lyric that has simmered in his craw for years or just a general cliche that fit his mood of the time.
Right. It was nice juxtaposition to see Chuck being an outstanding brother with Jimmy delivering that heartfelt speech and turning it around as an obvious con. Pretty much took all doubt that Jimmy is no good guy.

Great writing.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:56 AM 10-09-2018

No pun intended.
Pretty sure from here on out when I think of Mike that's the first image that'll come to mind.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:43 PM 10-09-2018
And the end of the show was a master class in writing. It's always a powerful scene when the passion of the delivery completely masks the ambiguity of the text. Every bit of his inflection and expression was designed to give the strong suggestion that his words have one meaning, but his words tread carefully to provide not only ambiguity but even the right, . . truthful, . . . opposite implication if you knew to look for it.

[Reply]
Buehler445 07:34 PM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
And the end of the show was a master class in writing. It's always a powerful scene when the passion of the delivery completely masks the ambiguity of the text. Every bit of his inflection and expression was designed to give the strong suggestion that his words have one meaning, but his words tread carefully to provide not only ambiguity but even the right, . . truthful, . . . opposite implication if you knew to look for it.

Right and Rhea acted her ass off in that scene. Her WTF look when he said that asshole was crying was perfect. And then her standing by herself at the end. ...damn.

And like I said, comparing that with the opening scene is powerful. Where is DJLN? #TeamChuck should ride again.
[Reply]
Page 119 of 172
« First < 1969109115116117118119 120121122123129169 > Last »
Up