ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 221
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Otter 10:40 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
I think a lot of people make this mistake.
If you’re fishing in the current you’re pretty much wasting time. The fish aren’t out in the current unless they’re moving somewhere else. Otherwise they’re in the slow spots where they don’t have to fight the current.
Look for creek mouth that feeds the river, eddies around bends, if there’s a log jam fish on the down stream side of that, anywhere that the water is swirling or moving slow. That’s where the fish will be stacked up when the river is up and rolling.
Fish are often inside fast current behind a rock, log or other obstruction where the current is disrupted. As a matter of fact I found it to be one the best places to fish because the faster current brings more food down. The fish see the food, pop out of the hiding spot and back in until next morsel comes along.

As far at the original thread; I'm a huge fly fisherman. I just don't want to talk about it right now because I'm snowed in and can't go right now. It's like needing to get laid then exacerbating the problem by looking at nudie mags.

:-)
[Reply]
NewChief 11:06 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by Otter:
Fish are often inside fast current behind a rock, log or other obstruction where the current is disrupted. As a matter of fact I found it to be one the best places to fish because the faster current brings more food down. The fish see the food, pop out of the hiding spot and back in until next morsel comes along.

As far at the original thread; I'm a huge fly fisherman. I just don't want to talk about it right now because I'm snowed in and can't go right now. It's like needing to get laid then exacerbating the problem by looking at nudie mags.

I think a lot of the difference in opinion on river holding water is due to the different species that people are targeting.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 11:07 AM 02-23-2010
Agreed. This is actually what the big cats are doing in a creek mouth, behind a log jam, around a bend or wherever. They’re sitting in the slow water watching the current sweep stuff by. If something tasty looking goes by, something worth the effort of getting out in the current to go after, they’ll attack.
Same principal, larger structures.

I hear ya. This has been a particularly long, cold, harsh winter and I’m going stir crazy.
I’ve also got the fever to go shoot something. Gear-head Wrenching buddy traded his Sigma for a Charles Daly 1911 and when he came over to show it off it just made my shooting itch that much worse.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 11:19 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
I think a lot of the difference in opinion on river holding water is due to the different species that people are targeting.
I think we’re talking a different current too.
When you look out across the river and see it sweeping trees with a 3’ diameter trunk, or bigger, down stream you’re not going to find many fish out fighting that current. The ones that are out there are on the move somewhere, or like Otter posted popping up just long enough to grab a morsel then back into the slow spots.
You’re also going to have a hard time keeping bait on your hook or putting enough sinker on it to keep it down.
[Reply]
Contrarian 01:09 PM 02-23-2010
There aren't many pictures on here so I thought I would throw up one of my own.
This is a spoony I caught last summer by Truman dam when we were fishing for crappie. Caught on a crappie pole with 6 lb test.
Thank god for Trilene high performance!
[IMG]C:\Users\jdozier\Pictures\photo1.jpg[/IMG]

hope this link works!:-)
[Reply]
Contrarian 01:10 PM 02-23-2010
Well I guess it didn't work!
[Reply]
niblet 01:13 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by Contrarian:
Make a photobucket account, upload that file, and then it will work.
[Reply]
NewChief 01:16 PM 02-23-2010
There aren't many pictures on here so I thought I would throw up one of my own.
This is a spoony I caught last summer by Truman dam when we were fishing for crappie. Caught on a crappie pole with 6 lb test.
Thank god for Trilene high performance!
[IMG]C:\Users\jdozier\Pictures\photo1.jpg[/IMG]

hope this link works!:-)
Some our local flyrodders targeted spoonbills with good results around here:

It's sort of a game around here to try to target "nontraditional" fly rod species with a fly rod.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:27 PM 02-23-2010
Use the attachment feature on the post page.
You may have to trim your image to fit maximum size requirements though.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:28 PM 02-23-2010
Some our local flyrodders targeted spoonbills with good results around here:

It's sort of a game around here to try to target "nontraditional" fly rod species with a fly rod.
HTH you get a spoonbill to take a fly?
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:29 PM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by niblet:
Make a photobucket account, upload that file, and then it will work.
Or use tinypic.

http://tinypic.com/
[Reply]
niblet 01:31 PM 02-23-2010
Or use tinypic.

http://tinypic.com/
You don't even need an account for that? Never knew. Yeah, use that one.
[Reply]
NewChief 01:40 PM 02-23-2010
HTH you get a spoonbill to take a fly?
They flossed them (snagged). So yeah, you don't really get them to take a fly. You can, however, convince gar to take a fly:

http://www.flyfishga.com/gar.htm
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:57 PM 02-23-2010
They flossed them (snagged).
Ah, that makes sense then.

You can, however, convince gar to take a fly:

http://www.flyfishga.com/gar.htm
I have heard of that.
Personally I get my fill of gar fishing the river with perch and goldfish, they're the junk fish getting in the way of my catfishing. :-)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 02:16 PM 02-23-2010
I dare someone to go noodle one of these up.

[Reply]
Page 6 of 221
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Up