ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>School plan: EA Sports to do college football
htismaqe 11:22 AM 02-02-2021
Didn't see this posted anywhere, didn't look too hard though...

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...llege-football

EA Sports is coming back to college football.

Originally Posted by :
After last making a college football video game in 2013, the possibility of the game returning had been in limbo. Now, it isn't. EA Sports vice president and general manager, Daryl Holt, told ESPN the game maker will be returning to the space with "EA Sports College Football."

"As we look for the momentum that we're building on in sports, it all starts with the passion of our fans and the opportunities of what they are interested in," Holt said. "I don't think a visit where I go outside wearing a piece of EA Sports branded apparel, that someone doesn't go, 'Hey, when is college football coming back?'"

It will -- at some point. Holt said there is not a date on when the game will return or even a date where the return will be announced other than it won't be coming back for this year.

To make the game happen, EA Sports partnered with collegiate licensing company CLC to make sure they had the FBS schools, traditions, uniforms and playbooks -- among other things -- ready to go for the game. Over 100 teams will be in the game.

For now, EA Sports is planning to move forward without rosters that include the names, images or likenesses of real college players. Current NCAA rules prohibit athletes from selling their NIL rights while in college.

However, those rules are likely to be changed at some point in the coming year -- either by the NCAA, state legislatures or Congress. It's not yet clear if the evolving rules will allow for the kind of group licensing arrangements that would be needed for EA Sports to negotiate with athletes to use their names in the game.

Holt said they will monitor the NIL discussion if and when things change, but it's too early for that to happen. He also said what happens in NIL legislation will not change whether the game happens or when it will end up on shelves.

"We'll just keep tabs on everything as it develops and we'll be ready," Holt said. "That won't be a problem for us. But it's really, that's not an answer for us right now to decide. We're as much passengers as anyone else.

"So we make sure we deliver what our college football game players would want in a game. And that starts with just a very immersive experience and there's lots of things we can do to bring the true college game play and game day to the virtual world."

Holt said EA Sports is still in the very beginning of the process of game development, building out the team and deciding what direction they want the game to go in. Conversations about bringing back the game began over a year ago, Holt said, and the combination of momentum of the company combined with the technology they've seen on Next Gen platforms like the Sony PS5 and XBox Series X further bolstered their decision to return to the space.

"What we had as plans for growth and expansion of our portfolio, college football has always been at the top of my list, personally, working with the Tiburon Studio where it was made," Holt said. "So it was an easy conversation internally to say, 'Here is how we would approach it design-wise and here's how we can move that forward.'

"That's been going on for a while and certainly wasn't was a 'Wait to see what happens here,' even as continued legislation gets proposed. It's more around what we think we can do around the game and for our [game] players."

One change from the prior iterations of the game -- for now -- will be the name of the game. In prior iterations of the game from 1997 until 2014, the title of 'NCAA Football' was used, along with the year. Before that, it was 'College Football USA,' for two years and, in the first two years of the game, 'Bill Walsh College Football.'

Holt said the plan for the reboot will be to not have the NCAA name, but to use 'EA Sports College Football.'

"It all starts really with where we see college football as going. There's a lot of things happening and there's a lot of things happening in sports," Holt said. "EA Sports College Football gives us a name and a brand to kind of work around for some things that might evolve as well as what we're focusing on really out of the gate, which is really the FBS Division I schools and the road to the College Football Playoff and College Football Championship.

"So EA Sports College Football we just felt is the right name for the product for not only now but also as we move forward."

The game, whenever it returns, will be the first college football title since "NCAA Football 2014," which had former Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson on the cover.

[Reply]
bowener 11:51 AM 02-02-2021
It's EA so it will be a piece of shit with microtransactions.
[Reply]
RustShack 01:08 PM 02-02-2021
I’m jacked! Any idea when the first one comes out? Will it be on Xbox One or will be need to buy a new system?
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:20 PM 02-02-2021
Just another game they’ll fuck up.
[Reply]
SAGA45 01:21 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by bowener:
It's EA so it will be a piece of shit with microtransactions.
Microtransactions? Yes...but a piece of shit? No. If it's one thing EA Sports did right it was college football.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:22 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
Microtransactions? Yes...but a piece of shit? No. If it's one thing EA Sports did right it was college football.
Yeah. 7 years ago. You really think they can make college football work but not Madden?
[Reply]
RustShack 01:31 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
Great, in dynasty mode we will have to pay for the good recruits.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:48 PM 02-02-2021
Sweet. Will be fun destroying the Clones
[Reply]
RustShack 02:22 PM 02-02-2021
I just read the game is 2-3 years away.
[Reply]
RustShack 02:23 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Sweet. Will be fun destroying the Clones
Thank god for video games!
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:32 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Yeah. 7 years ago. You really think they can make college football work but not Madden?
Between 2004 and 2010, NCAA was actually a good game. Madden was terrible at the time.

So, yeah, I actually do think they can make college football work. Something about it is different. Not sure what but they were able to pull it off. Madden has never been as good as NCAA was for 7-8 years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:33 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by RustShack:
I’m jacked! Any idea when the first one comes out? Will it be on Xbox One or will be need to buy a new system?
I'm sure it will be on Series X / PS5. It's still AT LEAST 2 years away. This wasn't even an official announcement.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 02:34 PM 02-02-2021
Now instead of starting out at a tiny program I can start at KU and actually turn them around. Lol
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:53 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'm sure it will be on Series X / PS5. It's still AT LEAST 2 years away. This wasn't even an official announcement.
I know it hasn't been on PC since the 90's but that's the only reason I would be interested.
[Reply]
SAGA45 09:25 AM 02-03-2021
Originally Posted by RustShack:
Great, in dynasty mode we will have to pay for the good recruits.
Absurd but I get your point. Honestly, now that Ive given it more thought, Im not sure they can even implement microtransactions without there being something in place for the athletes to be compensated for their NILs via the NCAA. Lots of rullings ahead so we will see.

Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Yes because Madden didnt work THEN but NCAA was great! For some odd reason NCAA has, for the most part, been the better game of the two throughout the years.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up