ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
Coach 04:47 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Looks like a decent gaming setup. You'll want a better power supply though. A 600W is the minimum recommendation for a system with a 3060 GPU. If you want to future proof it, you should probably go a little higher than the suggested bare minimum. Don't go small on the case.

As for monitors, it all depends on how much you have to spend. For current gaming, a good average monitor will be at least 1440p(2K) resolution and 120-144Hz refresh rate. Get the size you can afford.

Not sure what your thought would be on a Seasonic FOCUS GX-750, 750W 80+ Gold but that's what I got when I upgraded mine to handle the upgraded graphics card that I have (which is a GeForce GTX 1660 super GDDR6).
[Reply]
Fish 06:20 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:
Not sure what your thought would be on a Seasonic FOCUS GX-750, 750W 80+ Gold but that's what I got when I upgraded mine to handle the upgraded graphics card that I have (which is a GeForce GTX 1660 super GDDR6).
Anything gold rated or higher should do just fine. Just try and stick with well known brands. There's a lot of cheap Chinese crap out there with fake 80 plus certification ratings.
[Reply]
Coach 10:00 PM 01-28-2021
Anything gold rated or higher should do just fine. Just try and stick with well known brands. There's a lot of cheap Chinese crap out there with fake 80 plus certification ratings.
Yeah, you don't have to remind me that, I seen a few of them that looks suspicious and I didn't even bother.

I just know Seasonic is pretty good and I was familiar with Gold.
[Reply]
hometeam 10:53 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:
Yeah, you don't have to remind me that, I seen a few of them that looks suspicious and I didn't even bother.

I just know Seasonic is pretty good and I was familiar with Gold.
Seasonic makes everyones PSUs

Seasonic is top notch you can't go wrong with it.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 02:01 PM 02-09-2021
Since we can't find a GPU anywhere, do you think we should go this route instead?
I know it has a lot of cheaper components and it probably isn't very upgradeable, but it sure seems like a good price. Would the CPU be that much worse than the Ryzen 5600?
[Reply]
jd1020 02:06 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
Since we can't find a GPU anywhere, do you think we should go this route instead?
I know it has a lot of cheaper components and it probably isn't very upgradeable, but it sure seems like a good price. Would the CPU be that much worse than the Ryzen 5600?
It's your decision.

But imo, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK NO!

Ya it's got some nice components in it here and there but the motherboard is more than likely some generic piece of shit and its unsing some kind of case+PSU combo that is 100% some cheap Chinese trash and its only 550W and I guarantee that the airflow on that case sucks dick.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 03:04 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
It's your decision.

Ya it's got some nice components in it here and there but the motherboard is more than likely some generic piece of shit and its unsing some kind of case+PSU combo that is 100% some cheap Chinese trash and its only 550W and I guarantee that the airflow on that case sucks dick.
:-)
My son didn't like the idea either.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:35 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
It's your decision.

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
:-)
My son didn't like the idea either.
Sometimes the hard truths are the best truths.

If you just can't wait, and you want a prebuilt that has quality components, NZXT is a solid option to consider. They even have 30xx series cards.

https://www.letsbld.com/
[Reply]
Fish 05:52 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Sometimes the hard truths are the best truths.

If you just can't wait, and you want a prebuilt that has quality components, NZXT is a solid option to consider. They even have 30xx series cards.

https://www.letsbld.com/
They say they do. But if you get far enough to actually review a build, they present you with this:

There is no other option for GPU

:-):-)
[Reply]
vailpass 08:46 PM 02-09-2021
They say they do. But if you get far enough to actually review a build, they present you with this:

There is no other option for GPU

:-):-)
It changes all the time. If you check it each day you’ll catch a 3070 or 3080 at some point. At least that’s how it’s been so far. They get resupplied by the different vendors.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:34 PM 02-09-2021
Yeah hard pass on pre built from my opinion. I know it's hard to wait but it will be worth it in the long run. Also of you have microcenter anywhere around you go up there in the mornings and try to get lucky
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 08:20 AM 02-10-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Yeah hard pass on pre built from my opinion. I know it's hard to wait but it will be worth it in the long run. Also of you have microcenter anywhere around you go up there in the mornings and try to get lucky
The nearest Microcenter is 2.5 hours away.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:24 AM 02-10-2021
NZXT is actually pretty good for prebuilt.

You just have to keep refreshing your cart to get the parts. They'll show out of stock for an hour and then in stock and then out of stock again.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 05:59 PM 02-14-2021
Not sure if it's real or not; went to Microcenter.com and they have the 5000 series of the AMD Ryzen listed as in stock. I'd like to upgrade from my old Phenom 2 system however you have to go to the store to buy it. I have the feeling that it's one of those ads where you show up to buy it and they say they just sold out however we have xyz in stock.
[Reply]
hometeam 06:54 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Not sure if it's real or not; went to Microcenter.com and they have the 5000 series of the AMD Ryzen listed as in stock. I'd like to upgrade from my old Phenom 2 system however you have to go to the store to buy it. I have the feeling that it's one of those ads where you show up to buy it and they say they just sold out however we have xyz in stock.
supposedly what they show is what they stock. same system they are looking at when you call them and ask if its there.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up