ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 70
« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 02:01 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Pretty much no one in this thread has said that about Picard, and nor is it true of the show.
I was in a bad place yesterday, I apologize. I will endeavor to keep my emotions in check. I needed a way to vent some negative energy.

Everyone enjoy. I just feel like someone pissed on my Cheerios.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:48 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
ST: DISC was a disappointment for many reasons. The Michael Burnham character was ridiculous. Just a horrible Mary Sue and the first season was bad fan fic. The way the 'new' Klingons were handled was incredibly stupid. The only decent character out out of the entire season was, of course, deemed to be 'evil.' It was garbage. The second season redeemed the series somewhat but they only did it by abandoning their nonsense and bullshit, and injecting some old school Trek with Pike and crew.

Woke Trek isn't laughable, stupid garbage simply because gender/ethnicity/sex are emphasized. Woke Trek is garbage because they are used in place of plot, theme, and character development.
The sad part is we can have badass female characters without having this woke shit shoved down our throats.

Remember these ladies?

[Reply]
Frazod 02:17 PM 03-23-2020
Just saw this on YouTube - it theorizes that the previously unmentioned son of Dr. Soong is, in fact, Lor.

It does make sense.
[Reply]
unlurking 02:55 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The sad part is we can have badass female characters without having this woke shit shoved down our throats.

Remember these ladies?

I still don't understand how that applies to this show? Not sure what is "woke" about Picard?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:52 PM 03-23-2020
Just saw this on YouTube - it theorizes that the previously unmentioned son of Dr. Soong is, in fact, Lor.

It does make sense.
Yes, I suggested as much last week. If it isn't, it's pretty disappointing on the part of the writers and contrary to expectations. Certainly makes a lot more sense for it to be Lore than for Soong to have had a human son nobody knew about until now.
[Reply]
candyman 04:02 PM 03-23-2020
Man this is just downright cringeworthy more often than not. From last episode:

JL: Be sure to let me know when the ship's systems are up and running.

Raffi: Nahhh, I figured I'd keep you guessing.

[Reply]
Frazod 04:09 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Yes, I suggested as much last week. If it isn't, it's pretty disappointing on the part of the writers and contrary to expectations. Certainly makes a lot more sense for it to be Lore than for Soong to have had a human son nobody knew about until now.
Sadly, it wouldn't be the first time.

[Reply]
Frazod 04:09 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by unlurking:
I still don't understand how that applies to this show? Not sure what is "woke" about Picard?
Nothing at all. I was replying to comments regarding Burnham.
[Reply]
unlurking 05:15 PM 03-23-2020
Ahh, yeah. Burnham has to be the worst character of these new series.
[Reply]
notorious 05:19 PM 03-23-2020
**** it. Just make it so that Lore downloaded Data's "soul/personality" back in the day and have some crazy plot that makes Lore into Data.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:26 PM 03-23-2020
Ahh, yeah. Burnham has to be the worst character of these new series.
The only character I really liked in the first season was Lorca. Everybody else was varying degrees of meh. Except for Stamets. I absolutely loathe that guy.
[Reply]
candyman 05:36 PM 03-23-2020
Does anyone else think the android-looking version of Isa Briones/Soji (Sutra) is a lot sexier than Isa Briones/Soji?
[Reply]
unlurking 05:40 PM 03-23-2020
The only character I really liked in the first season was Lorca. Everybody else was varying degrees of meh. Except for Stamets. I absolutely loathe that guy.
I was rooting for the Klingons, even though I hated them just as much.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:40 PM 03-23-2020
I was rooting for the Klingons, even though I hated them just as much.
I was rooting for Lorca.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:55 PM 03-26-2020
Good news/bad news with the finale, I'd say.

The bad news is that the first half was pretty meh. But the way they set the commercials, it looked like the second half could be something big. And it was.

I won't give any spoilers away, but it was both very predictable and very well done.

Expect some dust in your eyes for the last 15 minutes.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 70
« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Up