ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 70
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:50 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Yeah, I know. Right up until that I was thinking "finally, a Star Fleet captain with some balls." :-)
This is when I bailed on the series. It was mildly annoying to see that only women were captains or admirals, and that there were no male characters that were in any positions of power, and this series supposed to take place before the original series? And then you add in the fact that all the male characters are cowards or mentally weak. Essentially a bunch of betas. While all the female characters are the exact opposite? Every single one? And a one male character that shows some balls and seems to be a protagonist that you can maybe get behind, and then you find out he’s really from the evil Federation, and it’s basically a piece of shit.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:28 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
This is when I bailed on the series. It was mildly annoying to see that only women were captains or admirals, and that there were no male characters that were in any positions of power, and this series supposed to take place before the original series? And then you add in the fact that all the male characters are cowards or mentally weak. Essentially a bunch of betas. While all the female characters are the exact opposite? Every single one? And a one male character that shows some balls and seems to be a protagonist that you can maybe get behind, and then you find out he’s really from the evil Federation, and it’s basically a piece of shit.
:-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:51 PM 03-03-2020
Big Fat Tears incoming

[Reply]
Mennonite 10:17 AM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Big Fat Tears incoming

"I sense you are feeling...sad."

/Counselor Troi
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:25 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Big Fat Tears incoming

I wonder if this is gonna be Troi pre, mid, or post "the Phase". Will does look kind of tired.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:03 PM 03-04-2020
Imagine if Troi had ended up with Worf. Picard would have visited them in a cliffside cave, and she would have come out in full warrior regalia and punched him in the face for old times sake. :-)
[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:12 PM 03-06-2020
Mostly a nostalgia play yesterday. I feel like they were going with the same vibe as "Family" from TNG when Picard visits his brother/brother's family in France after the Borg incident. Not nearly as effective (as Soji isn't anywhere near as developed as Picard was as a character and her trauma simply doesn't matter as much to the audience), but it was fine. Cool to see what Riker is up to these days.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:18 PM 03-06-2020
Yeah, I enjoyed it. Sad to see Hugh get whacked.

I get the feeling the Borg are going to rise up and take out the Romulans. It will be interesting to see them be the good guys.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:36 PM 03-06-2020
I did not remember Larry Niven's Kzinti being slapped on to the Star Trek universe. From a lazy google it looks like that was done in the cartoon? Maybe in some books as well, I guess. I'm wondering if Soji's homeworld is the planet where Data was discovered.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:02 PM 03-06-2020
Niven wrote that episode, I think. The animation on the cartoon was very limited, but most of the stories were a lot more sophisticated than the typical Saturday morning fare.

Whoever writes Picard knows a hell of lot of Trek history.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:55 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Omicron_Theta

Omicron Theta where Data/Lore were built by Dr. Noonien Soong had two moons.

I knew there was a memory nagging at me when Kestra said that Soji's homeworld doesn't have a name, only a number:

Andrew Probert illustrated a handful of drawings to show how the set for Dr. Soong's lab might look. However, at least one of these concept artworks was labeled "Kiron III," the original name used for the planet. (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 12, p. 49) (The planet's moniker was also Kiron III in the novelization of "Encounter at Farpoint"). In the script for "Datalore", the planet was identified as Data's Planet. Omicron Theta was the name of the system, not the planet. [1] This changed in "Silicon Avatar" when the planet, for the first time, was canonically identified as Omicron Theta. "ohm-ih-kron THAY-tah" was the pronunciation for this planet's name from the script pronunciation guide. [2]
[Reply]
listopencil 12:58 AM 03-07-2020
I don't remember if any scenes in the current series definitively placed the 'remains' of any of the ST:TNG androids on Earth other than, I think, the one known as B-4. Do any of you recall? I'd rather not go poring through the episodes again.
[Reply]
Miles 01:22 AM 03-07-2020
Just watched the latest and realize it was a nostalgia episode but it did it so damn well.
[Reply]
Miles 01:25 AM 03-07-2020
Larry Niven was involved in Star Trek at one point?
[Reply]
Miles 01:35 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I don't remember if any scenes in the current series definitively placed the 'remains' of any of the ST:TNG androids on Earth other than, I think, the one known as B-4. Do any of you recall? I'd rather not go poring through the episodes again.
It’s been so long I can’t remember what happened to Lore.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 70
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Up