ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 70
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:17 PM 02-28-2020
I still haven't watched any Discovery past the pilot. Seems like every time I'm about to start watching some other new show streams somewhere.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:22 PM 02-28-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I still haven't watched any Discovery past the pilot. Seems like every time I'm about to start watching some other new show streams somewhere.

I've only watched the pilot and the first episode of season two. Neither really grabbed me.

I haven't watched very much new stuff over the last 15 years or so. I finally got around to watching the first three seasons of Arrested Development last week. I'm a little behind the times.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:46 AM 02-29-2020
Episode 6 "Nepenthe" was accidentally released in Japan a week early. There are copies streaming out there (I hear) if anyone is interested in getting an early start on the next episode.
[Reply]
007 08:52 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Episode 6 "Nepenthe" was accidentally released in Japan a week early. There are copies streaming out there (I hear) if anyone is interested in getting an early start on the next episode.
You mean episode 7
[Reply]
listopencil 09:00 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Omicron_Theta

Omicron Theta where Data/Lore were built by Dr. Noonien Soong had two moons.

Something interesting from the wiki:

In the novel Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory, Doctor Bruce Maddox is contemplating deleting Data's memory engrams from B-4, who is kept in storage along with the remains of Soong's other prototype, Lore, and Lal, Data's daughter, when they are stolen by the Breen. Doctor Soong – who survived his death by transferring his mind into an android body far more Human in appearance than Data's – manages to recover his "children", and transfers Data's memories from B-4 into his own body, unable to complete the new body he had been attempting to construct for his "son".
[Reply]
Mennonite 09:47 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Something interesting from the wiki:

In the novel Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory, Doctor Bruce Maddox is contemplating deleting Data's memory engrams from B-4, who is kept in storage along with the remains of Soong's other prototype, Lore, and Lal, Data's daughter, when they are stolen by the Breen. Doctor Soong – who survived his death by transferring his mind into an android body far more Human in appearance than Data's – manages to recover his "children", and transfers Data's memories from B-4 into his own body, unable to complete the new body he had been attempting to construct for his "son".

The author of that trilogy is David Mack. I believe he is a consultant for the new Trek shows. He is the same dude who came up with the idea of Control.

The first book in that trilogy is pretty good. Not too crazy about the follow-ups. They all (sorta) spring from a novel called Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang. It's very "small universe" but entertaining.

Edit: the writers definitely know about the novels because they are using some stuff from the old Diane Duane Romulan books too. Specifically the fact that they have secret names.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:05 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
The author of that trilogy is David Mack. I believe he is a consultant for the new Trek shows. He is the same dude who came up with the idea of Control.

The first book in that trilogy is pretty good. Not too crazy about the follow-ups. They all (sorta) spring from a novel called Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang. It's very "small universe" but entertaining.

Edit: the writers definitely know about the novels because they are using some stuff from the old Diane Duane Romulan books too. Specifically the fact that they have secret names.

I never got into any of the books at all. I have a collection of favorite sci-fi writers that I have stuck to over the decades and I get all pissy when I come across a writer that doesn't measure up to them in my mind, the flow is just off in my head and I can't enjoy it. To the point that even if it's a good story or idea that interests me I just get too frustrated and put the book back down. So, I'm sure I've missed out on some good stuff over the years. Thanks for tying that in. I had no idea.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:20 AM 02-29-2020
Most of them are crap, honestly. I'm picky about my reading material most of the time (books usually fit into two categories: "great!" and "a complete waste of time") but for some reason I tend to give Trek novels extra leeway.

David Mack is probably the best of the Trek authors, but he still has his share of stinkers.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:42 AM 03-01-2020
That was a good episode. Nice touch when the sleeping Borg "felt" the presence of Locutus.

And I'm pretty sure Picard and Soji went to go see Numbah Wan. Picard needs allies right now.
[Reply]
Donger 12:36 PM 03-01-2020
So, as a huge TNG fan, is this worth watching?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:48 PM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
So, as a huge TNG fan, is this worth watching?
Yes. It's fucking amazing.

It's like someone took TNG and turned it into DS9.
[Reply]
Donger 01:07 PM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Yes. It's ****ing amazing.

It's like someone took TNG and turned it into DS9.
I've never watched any of the other ST series, so that means nothing to me.

But thanks.
[Reply]
Jamie 01:16 PM 03-01-2020
I would also say yes, but less enthusiastically. It's not close to DS9 (which to me is the best Trek series), it's more like Insurrection with swearing and graphic violence. But maybe a little better than that sounds.
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:18 PM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I've never watched any of the other ST series, so that means nothing to me.

But thanks.

Not even TOS?!
[Reply]
Donger 01:19 PM 03-01-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I would also say yes, but less enthusiastically. It's not close to DS9 (which to me is the best Trek series), it's more like Insurrection with swearing and graphic violence. But maybe a little better than that sounds.
Thanks.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 70
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up