ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 189 of 205
« First < 89139179185186187188189 190191192193199 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****OFFICIAL NBA Regular Season Thread****
dirk digler 10:59 AM 12-25-2011
Let's get it on... finally
FloridaMan88 09:14 PM 08-26-2020
Just wait until the financial reality hits these dumbshit NBA players who want to cancel the season.

The CBA would be terminated and a lockout would be likely.

Good luck with that.
FloridaMan88 09:15 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Let's get this straight..that's a strike not a boycott.
And a wildcat strike which is technically illegal.
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09:30 PM 08-26-2020
Put the Suns and Grizzlies into their spots!
ChiefsCountry 09:33 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Just wait until the financial reality hits these dumbshit NBA players who want to cancel the season.

Good luck with that.
The two majority owners of the Bucks are major liberals and Democrat donors.
KC_Connection 09:42 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Probably not Just a show vote by LeBron. He wants to chase the ring and cling to image of taking a stand.
I guess we'll see in the coming days. You'll have to take back everything you've said about him chasing titles if he does the opposite and pushes for a strike.
KC_Connection 09:45 PM 08-26-2020

Good luck with that.
And the NBA would completely destroy them in any future CBA negotiations given the COVID pandemic and the lost revenues. A decision to strike right now has implications on the sport and the careers of these guys for years to come.

They should all get a voice on this one, not just the top players.
BWillie 09:55 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
And the NBA would completely destroy them in any future CBA negotiations given the COVID pandemic and the lost revenues. A decision to strike right now has implications on the sport and the careers of these guys for years to come.

They should all get a voice on this one, not just the top players.
The NBA spent a hundred million? dollars to put this bubble on and did everything they really could to accommodate the players during the pandemic, too.
Mecca 10:00 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
The NBA spent a hundred million? dollars to put this bubble on and did everything they really could to accommodate the players during the pandemic, too.
Apparently an issue that was brought up is how they're all stuck in the bubble while the commissioner isn't.
FloridaMan88 10:09 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Apparently an issue that was brought up is how they're all stuck in the bubble while the commissioner isn't.
So these “boycotts” (wildcat strikes) which are supposed to be about social justice have already devolved into the players using it as an excuse to cry about their personal inconveniences with playing in a billion $$$ luxury bubble?

Hilarious.
Buehler445 10:42 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'm on the other side of the equation: If players want to demonstrate or even boycott, go for it. About the only issue it causes me is to find something else to watch among the 50 million streaming services and channels that I pay for each month.

Social change in America has never been easy. Muhammed Ali gave up his prime years, not only prime earning potential but prime physical potential for something he believed in. Half the country hated him for it for decades while others applauded him.

In the end, Muhammed Ali was a hero.

Maybe future generations will look back at these professional athletes who stood for change as heroes, too.
In the time of Ali, there was legitimate systemic racism. I'm not sure that exists anymore. At least I certainly hope it doesn't. There are most certainly individual instances of racism, including cops. But they should be addressed as just that, individually.

I'm not going to dive too deep into the cause, maybe there is one in certain areas, but I doubt there are white men actively trying to keep black men down at a systemic level.

One thing I know for sure is choosing the wrong hill to make your stand doesn't help the cause.

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Unlike Joe Biden, I don't see them as a monolith.

I LOVED listening to Boldin and Jenkins back when Kaepernick was doing his stupid bullshit. They were fascinating and provided a fair amount to think about. I haven't heard Rivers recently but he's spoken out in the past and I also like listening to him.

I don't mind messages I disagree with (because I do occasionally change my mind, or at least refine a stance) - I dislike shitty, unoriginal messengers who don't have anything of substance to actually add.

Anyone that defends Michael Brown - I'm out. Dude's dead because he's a moron. If you're a person that thinks holding him up as a problem in this country is worthwhile - you're the problem to me. I do see an issue w/ the Floyd killing and understand the anger but I have a real problem w/ those that will continue to stand idly by as their ideological counterparts burn cities to the ground and harm innocent people.

But when I start to hear the same tired shit about 'targeting blacks' when the police were called specifically because a man with an outstanding warrant for domestic violence and underaged sexual assault has taken a woman's keys, fought off 3 police officers, shrugged off a taser and is now reaching into his vehicle? GTFO with that noise...
Woah. That's... Woah.

DJLN is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this thread. Some really good points in there man, good work.

Although I really don't want to find another hobby. I could, sure. But I really need something that I can shut my mind off and watch. That and I fucking love sports, man. Hopefully cooler heads prevail here.

Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Andy chimes in
There is something to be said for love and understanding. As we type this on a message board filled with vitriol. :-)

Originally Posted by Mecca:
I think everyone owes it to themselves to listen to what Fred VanVleet said about this, especially if you're less sympathetic towards the reasons why these boycotts are happening today.
Link?

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Racism is a sliding scale. This country sure as hell ain't color blind either.
There are a lot of places that are. Wife teaches first grade and had a black student last year. Anyway, blah blah blah someone told her she has to read this book. It's something about black kids are cool too or some dumb shit.

She came home in tears for this kid, because when she was reading it they were all staring at him. They had literally never considered that he was different until she read the book.

And all the parents knew the family. Most people in town had bought a car from his dad at some point.

Wife was crushed. She absolutely ruined the kids innocence.
KC_Connection 10:57 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
In the time of Ali, there was legitimate systemic racism. I'm not sure that exists anymore. At least I certainly hope it doesn't. There are most certainly individual instances of racism, including cops. But they should be addressed as just that, individually.
I'd rather not dive too deeply into these issues because there's nothing productive to be done by arguing about it, but there still absolutely is systemic racism. It's not as obvious as it was 60 years ago, but it's there and it's the kind of thing that takes generations upon generations to change.

If that's what the NBA players are protesting (instead of the Jacob Blake situation which still has a lot of questions that need to be answered), that's an admirable motivation. However, it's also something that shouldn't be done lightly and overly emotionally as it carries significant implications for the future of the NBA and their own careers. There needs to be a real discussion and a real union vote if that's what they decide to do.
Buehler445 10:59 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I'd rather not dive too deeply into these issues because there's nothing productive to be done by arguing about it, but there still absolutely is systemic racism. It's not as obvious as it was 60 years ago, but it's there and it's the kind of thing that takes generations upon generations to change.
Fair enough.

I might be too goddamned stupid to see it. But I don't. At least not in my little corner of the world.
KC_Connection 11:02 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I can't imagine a much nicer or safer place to live during a pandemic than a Disney resort bubble. If that has anything to do with what happened today at all, that's embarrassing and I hope that isn't the case.
eDave 11:02 PM 08-26-2020
So these “boycotts” (wildcat strikes) which are supposed to be about social justice have already devolved into the players using it as an excuse to cry about their personal inconveniences with playing in a billion $$$ luxury bubble?

Hilarious.
"At the end of the day, if we're gonna sit here and talk about making change, then at some point we're gonna have to put our nuts on the line and actually put something up to lose, rather than just money or visibility," Toronto Raptors guard Fred VanVleet said Tuesday. "We've gotta take responsibility as well. Like, what are we willing to give up?"
KC_Connection 11:07 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Fair enough.

I might be too goddamned stupid to see it. But I don't. At least not in my little corner of the world.
I see it in the hiring practices in the businesses that I'm involved in for example. I think it's really an implicit bias/unconscious thing for most. I'm sure I have my own as well.
Page 189 of 205
« First < 89139179185186187188189 190191192193199 > Last »
Up