ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 958 of 3903
« First < 458858908948954955956957958 9599609619629681008105814581958 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 05:01 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
After watching this video, I just don't find those kinds of visualizations to be all that helpful. It really comes down to, "If people isolate, you break the curve. If you don't, everyone pretty much grows at the same rate."

[Reply]
tk13 05:03 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It isnt even April yet.

You really feel confident saying we're going to see a nationwide increase in death rates for 30 more days?

**** man - that's going to yield, what, 50,000 dead per day by the end of April?

Yes, this will peak in April. If it doesn't then all this social distancing for 6 weeks stuff meant nothing and we were all ****ed either way.
I'm afraid it might not matter because it'll turn out that people really didn't follow the social distancing. The countries that shut this down were literally shut down. Temperature checks everywhere, etc. We haven't really done that. We see multiple examples a day from around the country where people are interacting in large numbers.
[Reply]
Donger 05:05 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I never bought into that idea. Our general flu season is stretching further into the summer too. Like into July when it is consistently 100+

Normal flu actually never goes away.
[Reply]
Mecca 05:05 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
I'm afraid it might not matter because it'll turn out that people really didn't follow the social distancing. The countries that shut this down were literally shut down. Temperature checks everywhere, etc. We haven't really done that. We see multiple examples a day from around the country where people are interacting in large numbers.
I agree with that, there are enough people that don't give a fuck to screw it all up.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:05 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I never bought into that idea. Our general flu season is stretching further into the summer too. Like into July when it is consistently 100+
Well what I am referring to is places that are around the equator or where they are in or just coming out of summer are still having a lot of cases.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 05:06 PM 03-31-2020
We really don't know anything. All those numbers thrown out are meaningless without more testing. Who knows how many of us have had the shit and don't know.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:06 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Nobody actually knows though. :-)
In glancing around, their model generally shows that everyone will level off by June. I assume that it's all based on social distancing rather than heat effects, which aren't well known.

The Bill Gates TED interview helped me wrap my mind around it a bit. Exponential growth is highly volatile, so if R0 > 1, it grows very, very rapidly. However, if we can get R0 < 1 due to social distancing, it shrinks very, very rapidly. So that's really all we're trying to do with social distancing - shrink R0 as much as possible.

Once we get it under control (hopefully with dramatically increased access to testing), we can start slowly easing back restrictions. Cases go up? Restrictions go back into place. Cases stay low? Restrictions can be eased. It'll be a dance while we continue to learn more and refine the approach and treatments.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 05:10 PM 03-31-2020
that is what I am saying. Non of the people I know got to work from home nor take 2 weeks off. On top of that every other place I know is open except for bars and salons.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:12 PM 03-31-2020
Unemployment rates and baseline economic indicators say that yes,the vast majority of people have fundamentally altered their lives to address this.

'Multiple examples per day' is nothing resembling the hundreds of conferences involving thousands of attendees or dozens of sporting events involving tens of thousands of spectators every day.

If what we've done isnt enough, then there was never 'an answer' to be found.

We've done a shitload but for some, nothing will be. If only because their expectations were unreasonable to begin with.

It's a novel virus that attacks people's lungs. A bunch of people are going to die. That was simply inevitable.
[Reply]
TLO 05:14 PM 03-31-2020
Just watched the daily briefing... Anyone have a link for the 50 states that Dr. Birx showed?
Originally Posted by Donger:
The graph showing NY and NJ off on their own?
If anyone could find this chart I'd love to see it. My search efforts have been futile.
[Reply]
tk13 05:18 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Unemployment rates and baseline economic indicators say that yes,the vast majority of people have fundamentally altered their lives to address this.

'Multiple examples per day' is nothing resembling the hundreds of conferences involving thousands of attendees or dozens of sporting events involving tens of thousands of spectators every day.

If what we've done isnt enough, then there was never 'an answer' to be found.

We've done a shitload but for some, nothing will be. If only because their expectations were unreasonable to begin with.

It's a novel virus that attacks people's lungs. A bunch of people are going to die. That was simply inevitable.
You were never going to completely stop it. But it's likely it could have been stunted.

Singapore has like 3 deaths. Total. Yeah it's a country of only 5 million people but 3 deaths is nothing. That's the equivalent of about 200 deaths in America.
[Reply]
Donger 05:18 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
In glancing around, their model generally shows that everyone will level off by June. I assume that it's all based on social distancing rather than heat effects, which aren't well known.

The Bill Gates TED interview helped me wrap my mind around it a bit. Exponential growth is highly volatile, so if R0 > 1, it grows very, very rapidly. However, if we can get R0 < 1 due to social distancing, it shrinks very, very rapidly. So that's really all we're trying to do with social distancing - shrink R0 as much as possible.

Once we get it under control (hopefully with dramatically increased access to testing), we can start slowly easing back restrictions. Cases go up? Restrictions go back into place. Cases stay low? Restrictions can be eased. It'll be a dance while we continue to learn more and refine the approach and treatments.
Well said. And, I wish every American (and every human) understood and would do EVERYTHING they can to make the bold become reality. I know many people feel helpless in this. They aren't. We can't kill this bug yet, but we can take away its "purpose." It isn't intelligent. It isn't even alive. All of us are the latter. In the words of MJK, do what it takes to step through, people.
[Reply]
Donger 05:19 PM 03-31-2020
If anyone could find this chart I'd love to see it. My search efforts have been futile.
Sorry no. Part of the brief today. Perhaps they'll put it up later. What question(s) did you have about it?
[Reply]
TLO 05:20 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sorry no. Part of the brief today. Perhaps they'll put it up later. What question(s) did you have about it?
Was just trying to see where all the states ranked.
[Reply]
Donger 05:27 PM 03-31-2020
Was just trying to see where all the states ranked.
Well, it was case per 100,000 pop, I believe. Shown in logarithmic scale.

Here's today's briefing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyp0KpB0_Zc
[Reply]
Page 958 of 3903
« First < 458858908948954955956957958 9599609619629681008105814581958 > Last »
Up