ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2021 of 3903
« First < 1021152119211971201120172018201920202021 202220232024202520312071212125213021 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Kidd Lex 09:06 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's a bit of a long read, but I found this article to be really informative about the actual risks of various types of activities. It's worth the read if you have a few minutes.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them

It's "just a blog," but you can read the author's credentials at the top (immunologist), and it's cited the whole way through. It focuses on how many "transmission events" (outbreaks and other traced infections) have occurred under different circumstances, which I like a lot more than the theoretical stuff based on when virus particles can be found in the air.

A couple highlights from my perspective:
  1. Successful virus transmission is a factor of exposure plus time. The gist is that, if it takes 1000 virus particles to become infected, that can be 100 breaths in an environment where you're taking in 10 at a time, or it could be taking a direct sneeze to the face where you take in thousands all at once. That means that the biggest issues are indoor environments without great ventilation.
  2. "The main sources for infection are home, workplace, public transport, social gatherings, and restaurants. This accounts for 90% of all transmission events. In contrast, outbreaks spread from shopping appear to be responsible for a small percentage of traced infections. Importantly, of the countries performing contact tracing properly, only a single outbreak has been reported from an outdoor environment (less than 0.3% of traced infections)."

So in short, it seems like outdoor activities should be relatively safe. While it's technically possible you could become infected outdoors, it would take a prolonged period of time being exposed to someone's exhaled air. That said, sneezing, coughing, or 80k people yelling at the top of their lungs for 3 hours straight would all make it far more likely.

Retail is probably not terrible, though the distancing guidelines make sense to keep the concentrations of exhaled air to a minimum.

Offices just depend on the ventilation and layout. If you work in an open office, I'd certainly be lobbying to keep the number of people working remotely up as high as possible.

Restaurants? Ehh...let's just say I personally won't be going to any restaurants that don't have an open window I can sit at at least.
Awesome and useful share. Thank you!
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:46 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
And I know this borders on political but I would say that these Governors and Mayors and City Councils and such that are ordering these lock downs have their pay checks suspended until the people that pay them are allowed to return to work.

If you're going to intentionally put people out of work then you need to join with them them. Take your ass to the unemployment line like the others have to do. It's really easy to tell someone else to sit at home without a job while you get your full pay check.

You understand most of those people staying at home are getting unemployment benefits right? And if a councilmember in most citites joined the other folks on unemployment they would actually make more money off unemployment right?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:51 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It is hard to not contaminate your self or things , it is even hard for hospital workers who sometimes have helpers just for donning and doffing PPE.
This guy speaks the truth. When I test our production samples for sterility I basically hose down my sterile sleeves with IPA and re-spray my gloves every 2-3 minutes and every time my hands get within six inches of leaving the laminar flow area, and this is inside of a hood with HEPA filtration, unidirectional airflow, that gets disinfected with IPA before each process and sprayed with sporicide multiple times per week.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:28 PM 05-12-2020
[Reply]
cdcox 10:39 PM 05-12-2020
In a normal situation with the masks being worn by the general public, the masks do more to keep you from spreading to others than they do to protect you from others. If you refuse to wear a mask, you're either don't know better or are disrespecting everyone around you. To simplify, people not wearing masks are either stupid or assholes.
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:46 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
In a normal situation with the masks being worn by the general public, the masks do more to keep you from spreading to others than they do to protect you from others. If you refuse to wear a mask, you're either don't know better or are disrespecting everyone around you. To simplify, people not wearing masks are either stupid or assholes.
If I'm not sneezing or coughing or shitting on everything, how would I be spreading it?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:48 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
If I'm not sneezing or coughing or shitting on everything, how would I be spreading it?
The blog I posted earlier points out that even breathing can do it. Talking makes it worse. Yelling makes it worse.

It's nowhere near coughing or sneezing, mind you, and it would take a pretty prolonged exposure for it to matter. But in theory if you were standing in line behind someone for a while, it could happen. And if you had a bunch of people in an enclosed space, and a number of them were infected, not having masks could cause the concentration to be high enough to be a real issue.

Regardless, I would suggest based on my own observations these past weeks, that people do a shit poor job of keeping themselves from coughing and sneezing. Many of them still just cover their mouths with their hands. I'll take the masks, thanks.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:50 PM 05-12-2020
1. Breathing

2. I don't believe you have known 30 minutes in advance before every cough or sneeze in your life. If you go into a public place, you could sneeze or you could cough. Once is enough.
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:51 PM 05-12-2020
Ok, so I'm not sneezing, coughing, yelling, or talking, and keeping my distance...why do I need to wear one?

I'm not necessarily against it...but I do feel like they could give a false sense of security and the effectiveness of them is being overplayed.
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:53 PM 05-12-2020
1. Breathing

2. I don't believe you have known 30 minutes in advance before every cough or sneeze in your life. If you go into a public place, you could sneeze or you could cough. Once is enough.
I'd literally have to cough in someone's face.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:53 PM 05-12-2020
Ok, so I'm not sneezing, coughing, yelling, or talking, and keeping my distance...why do I need to wear one?

I'm not necessarily against it...but I do feel like they could give a false sense of security and the effectiveness of them is being overplayed.
Would you prefer everyone wear them or no one wear them? "Only people who are showing symptoms" isn't really an option since a lot of this is spread by people who aren't showing symptoms.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:55 PM 05-12-2020

I don't take a false sense of security from it at all. I wear one, but don't think it provides me much protection. I basically wear it to protect others I am around. I'm really careful about not touching my face though -- that's what I do for me.
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:56 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Would you prefer everyone wear them or no one wear them? "Only people who are showing symptoms" isn't really an option since a lot of this is spread by people who aren't showing symptoms.
I'd prefer that it is left up to the individual to decide.

Let's be real, if it was as easy to transmit as Seedy is implying, we'd ALL have it by now.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:59 PM 05-12-2020
I'd literally have to cough in someone's face.
Wrong.

[Reply]
Bugeater 11:01 PM 05-12-2020
I don't take a false sense of security from it at all. I wear one, but don't think it provides me much protection. I basically wear it to protect others I am around. I'm really careful about not touching my face though -- that's what I do for me.
I respect your decision to do what you feel is necessary.

But not wearing one at all times doesn't make someone an asshole.
[Reply]
Page 2021 of 3903
« First < 1021152119211971201120172018201920202021 202220232024202520312071212125213021 > Last »
Up