« First < 678910 11121314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
DaFace 03:29 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
I have been to Paris 3 times over the years. Hated the damned city. But all 3 times I hit Notre Dame. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL Church.

Sorry to see this happen - but I'm fairly certain that the Frogs WILL rebuild.
My only concern is that it seems like Paris has been having trouble with preservation of historic structures recently. When I was there last summer, it seems like half of the places had netting around them in places where the stone was wearing down and was prone to falling off.

As long as they had really good insurance, they'll be able to rebuild the thing, but if not, it may never be close to the same. And if nothing else, the iconic windows are probably toast.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:32 PM 04-15-2019
I fear they may simply not have the resources to rebuild it. It may just end up like the Colosseum; a gutted ruin in the heart of the city.
[Reply]
raidersnumber1 03:35 PM 04-15-2019
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:36 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Not the school, but the cathedral.
Damnit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:44 PM 04-15-2019
Uncomfirmed reports now that all three rose windows exploded in the heat.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...mark-live-news
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:46 PM 04-15-2019
I didn't think anyone expected them to last long.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 03:47 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My only concern is that it seems like Paris has been having trouble with preservation of historic structures recently. When I was there last summer, it seems like half of the places had netting around them in places where the stone was wearing down and was prone to falling off.

As long as they had really good insurance, they'll be able to rebuild the thing, but if not, it may never be close to the same. And if nothing else, the iconic windows are probably toast.

As I recall, Notre Dame HAD been damaged fairly well during WWII - and they were able to "somewhat" restore the nearly 900 year old building. However, to the best of my knowledge, it was never damaged this badly.

I wonder if all that art was saved or if it was lost as well? Haven't heard....
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:51 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
As I recall, Notre Dame HAD been damaged fairly well during WWII - and they were able to "somewhat" restore the nearly 900 year old building. However, to the best of my knowledge, it was never damaged this badly.

I wonder if all that art was saved or if it was lost as well? Haven't heard....
It sounds like they pulled out some of it, and someone earlier in the thread mentioned that a bunch of statues had been removed earlier as part of the construction.

Frankly, I care less about the art than the building. Everyone's got their own priorities, so others may feel differently, but to me the building is a bigger deal than the contents.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:53 PM 04-15-2019
It sounds like they pulled out some of it, and someone earlier in the thread mentioned that a bunch of statues had been removed earlier as part of the construction.

Frankly, I care less about the art than the building. Everyone's got their own priorities, so others may feel differently, but to me the building is a bigger deal than the contents.
The windows are, by far, the biggest loss here in my opinion. They're what made Notre Dame Notre Dame. I'm sure they'll try to recreate them as best as they can, but it'll never give the same sense of awe as looking at something like that built 800 years ago.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 03:59 PM 04-15-2019

Oh I agree, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, while a building can be rebuilt and "somewhat" resemble the old structure - once art is lost - it is lost forever.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:01 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The windows are, by far, the biggest loss here in my opinion. They're what made Notre Dame Notre Dame. I'm sure they'll try to recreate them as best as they can, but it'll never give the same sense of awe as looking at something like that built 800 years ago.
We're probably on the same page, but I'll clarify that I view the windows and glass as part of the building and not as part of the art.

The live cam is showing that the fire is definitely dying down, but you can still see the glow of it burning inside, and they're still hosing it heavily from the cherry pickers.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:06 PM 04-15-2019
CNN is now saying that the visible flames are all gone and that the continued water is trying to put out embers now.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:07 PM 04-15-2019
Glad it's under control at least. Hopefully we can get a damage assessment tomorrow once the sun comes back up.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:06 PM 04-15-2019
The interior front looks better than I expected at least.

https://twitter.com/CathedraleNotre/...686851072?s=19
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:06 PM 04-15-2019
Macron tomorrow morning:

[Reply]
Page 10 of 14
« First < 678910 11121314 >
Up