ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1010 of 2683
« First < 10510910960100010061007100810091010 101110121013101410201060111015102010 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:32 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by penchief:
Actually, I was surprised to find that the Raiders Nation board is pretty much acknowledging Mahomes talent in the "Other Games" thread. In fact, I was shocked that multiple posters commented on how badly the chiefs were getting screwed by the officiating. It was kind of weird. On that day, at least, they seemed very objective.
They already see reality.

We have a resident Raiders fan here at work. Over the top homer. We're gonna do this, this is our year shit every year. He was off all last week. He too is already broken. Already trying to pay off his bets because he knows they are absolute trash this year. It's unfortunate, usually he talks smaque at least until midway through the year, but not this year. Really takes the fun out of it.
[Reply]
MahiMike 01:38 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
He's a shortstop playing QB.

Those throws are literally second nature for him.

Things that are literally impossible for other QBs he just does in his sleep.
Yup and this is why I have been excited from the beginning. He spoke about throwing motion from any angle. My son played 3rd base with a rocket arm. When he started playing QB I told him you may need to wing it sidearmed sometimes to evade the defender. There's more than one way to get the job done.
[Reply]
CupidStunt 01:38 PM 09-18-2018
Thing that's awesome #2399175:

Other fans (not jealous rivals) already love the guy. He is absolutely everything you want to see when you're watching a QB, whether it's your own team or not. He's just FUN. And on top of it, his personality is magnetic. There's nothing about him to hate whatsoever, unlike guys like Cam Newton, Big Ben etc.

I'm just imagining watching him if he was on any random team and I'd absolutely love him, same way I love Rodgers or Favre or Randy Moss, these guys whose talents are just better than everyone else.
[Reply]
Dayze 01:39 PM 09-18-2018
shit, if anything, I'd say he's more comparable to Marino with the legs and imporvability of Favre.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 01:44 PM 09-18-2018
What’s crazy is that as soon as we get anywhere near the red zone he is looking for the TD immediately. No hesitation at all. Not that being near the red zone is a requirement for him to look for the TD.

Our biggest offensive problem last season was throwing for TDs in the red zone and he has solved that immediately. The defense has no time to set up or prepare to defend the goal line.

Poor Hunt though will definitely see his rushing TD opportunities minimized. He is just going to have get his rushing TDs on 25 yard runs.
[Reply]
Jerm 01:44 PM 09-18-2018
Watching videos and reading articles I have to say I'm already tired of the "weapons" argument when it comes trying to temper Mahomes' talent or what he's doing...

Of course he has great weapons...a lot of other QBs that get a lot of run in the media do as well. And to be honest, great weapons don't mean shit if they don't have someone to get them the ball...it's a symbiotic relationship.

You can see the weapons argument only comes out when someone has an agenda or is trying to backtrack when they're wrong...Dilfer said it the best and he's absolutely spot on.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 01:48 PM 09-18-2018
He's a natural thrower. He's a baseball guy.

Pitchers love showing off the arm. Being a pitcher there's that alpha competitive mentality you have to have when you're on the mound, to know that you control the game and you want to dominate your opponent's will.

This is the mentality you want as a QB. This guy loves to light up the scoreboard and bring out the big guns. He wants to score everytime the offense steps onto the field. His eyes are always dowfield, no more of this "it's ok to punt" bullshit, checking down 3yds when it's 3rd n 8.

You need a guy that has that killer instinct. The guy that wants to tell the opposing defense to fuck you, try and stop it.

I fuckin love it.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:49 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
What’s crazy is that as soon as we get anywhere near the red zone he is looking for the TD immediately. No hesitation at all. Not that being near the red zone is a requirement for him to look for the TD.

Our biggest offensive problem last season was throwing for TDs in the red zone and he has solved that immediately. The defense has no time to set up or prepare to defend the goal line.

Poor Hunt though will definitely see his rushing TD opportunities minimized. He is just going to have get his rushing TDs on 25 yard runs.
Is that because his arm strenght shortens the field. I mean, when Alex would get the ball on the 20 you knew it was going to have to be a 8 or 9 play drive because of the dink and dunk nature of his game. Shit had to be perfect. A sack or a holding call would end a drive. Hell a no gain on 1st down could be deadly. Alex was good so long as the play would generate some sort of positive yardage.

Suddenly I'm watching Mahomes and I sware it take like three plays to get into the red zone because he pushes the ball so much furter down the field. The midium range stuff from Mahomes is like a great play from Smith. Andy better just let the kid play. Imagine what its going to be like once the run game gets clicking.... His play action is going to be sick.
[Reply]
FAX 02:05 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Is that because his arm strenght shortens the field. I mean, when Alex would get the ball on the 20 you knew it was going to have to be a 8 or 9 play drive because of the dink and dunk nature of his game. Shit had to be perfect. A sack or a holding call would end a drive. Hell a no gain on 1st down could be deadly. Alex was good so long as the play would generate some sort of positive yardage.

Suddenly I'm watching Mahomes and I sware it take like three plays to get into the red zone because he pushes the ball so much furter down the field. The midium range stuff from Mahomes is like a great play from Smith. Andy better just let the kid play. Imagine what its going to be like once the run game gets clicking.... His play action is going to be sick.
Absolutely, totally correct there, Mr. Hoover.

A 30-yard pass from Mahomes arrives in just about the same amount of time that it takes a normal human to throw 15-yards (or maybe 10). He shortens the field dramatically. How many of his TDs (other than the semi-jets in LA) were thrown in the red zone?

Mahomes' ability to attack every square inch of the field from every other square inch is the difference in the physical aspect of his play.

What will make him great is his vision and intelligence (ability to read defenses, identify the preferred matchup, etc.).

There's another aspect of his game we haven't see much of yet, however. That's his ability to freelance and adlib when the play breaks down.

I don't think Mahomes has a weakness to his game. All he needs is experience to achieve unheard-of potential. And he has the QB Whisperer to help him get there.

FAX
[Reply]
Shaid 02:49 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:

A 30-yard pass from Mahomes arrives in just about the same amount of time that it takes a normal human to throw 15-yards (or maybe 10). He shortens the field dramatically. How many of his TDs (other than the semi-jets in LA) were thrown in the red zone?

Mahomes' ability to attack every square inch of the field from every other square inch is the difference in the physical aspect of his play.

What will make him great is his vision and intelligence (ability to read defenses, identify the preferred matchup, etc.).

There's another aspect of his game we haven't see much of yet, however. That's his ability to freelance and adlib when the play breaks down.

I don't think Mahomes has a weakness to his game. All he needs is experience to achieve unheard-of potential. And he has the QB Whisperer to help him get there.

FAX
One of the talking heads said he was 4 for 4 from the Red Zone. I'd have to look again, seemed like it was more than 2 TDs from further away. Either way, the point is clear, he's deadly from virtually anywhere on the field.
[Reply]
Talisman 02:50 PM 09-18-2018
How many of his TDs (other than the semi-jets in LA) were thrown in the red zone?
All of his TDs Sunday were inside of 30 yards, with 2/3rds being in the red zone (15, 19, 5, 25, 3, 29). But your point is taken. He's always looking for that strike no matter where he is on the field. Dude was looking for the 99 yard home run ball when they were on the one yard line.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:59 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by Talisman:
All of his TDs Sunday were inside of 30 yards, with 2/3rds being in the red zone (15, 19, 5, 25, 3, 29). But your point is taken. He's always looking for that strike no matter where he is on the field. Dude was looking for the 99 yard home run ball when they were on the one yard line.
Reid was.

Then he tried to run it and got a safety. :-)

Dude is not holding anything back now after that.

We're going to be insane.
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:04 PM 09-18-2018
Let's play some math games.

Vegas odds for Mahomes season touchdowns was 21.5. I should have bet the over, I didn't make it to Vegas and California hadn't implemented a way for me to bet yet. I'm killing myself over it.

I predicted a conservative 28. That's what Rodgers threw his first full year of starting.

Mahomes would have to throw 1.2 TDs per game to get 28. That's a 76% dropoff from his production so far. Do you think that's likely based on what we've seen?

By the way 28 would be the third best season in Chiefs history.

He's breaking the Chiefs season TD record his first year. That's a stone cold lock.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:06 PM 09-18-2018

I did the math on this back when idiots were saying that arm strength doesn't matter and Deshaun Watson is a winner so we should take him:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The difference between Watson's velocity and Mahomes velocity on a 20 yard throw (or about a 15 yard out by the time you factor in the lateral range) is 4 feet. When Mahomes throws that ball, by the time it gets to his WR, Watson's pass is still 4 ft behind it.

In temporal terms, it takes Mahomes about .15 seconds less time to get from hand to target than Watson. If that's a WR, a .15 second 40 difference gets him killed but what good is that extra speed if the QB gives it all back?

That 4 ft makes all the difference between a first down and a pick 6. Think of how many windows close just as the DB gets there and how many times that ball gets batted/taken away if the ball is 4 feet further back at that same point in time.
That was based on the difference in their peak recorded velocities.

It's not as extreme as you're saying it is, but it doesn't have to be. Inside the red zone, most of those throws are going to be in the 20 yard range when you consider lateral movement as well.

When Mahomes flicks his wrist for that piss-rocket to Kelce from about 15 yards out, that's exactly the kind of throw that he can make and few else can. Smith shouldn't have even been attempting that throw. Watson shouldn't either.

Because over those 20 yards, that 4 feet will close the window and it gets tipped into the air where god knows what will happen next.

I never understood the 'arm strength doesn't matter' crowd. Of course it does, and Mahomes demonstrates why every week. It isn't the ability to throw it far that makes it deadly, it's the ability to throw it fast into rapidly closing windows.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 03:07 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
He's a natural thrower. He's a baseball guy.

Pitchers love showing off the arm. Being a pitcher there's that alpha competitive mentality you have to have when you're on the mound, to know that you control the game and you want to dominate your opponent's will.

This is the mentality you want as a QB. This guy loves to light up the scoreboard and bring out the big guns. He wants to score everytime the offense steps onto the field. His eyes are always dowfield, no more of this "it's ok to punt" bullshit, checking down 3yds when it's 3rd n 8.

You need a guy that has that killer instinct. The guy that wants to tell the opposing defense to **** you, try and stop it.

I ****in love it.
Mahomes definitely has an assassin type attitude. Brady has it, Rodgers has it, Brees has it pretty much all the elite QBs have it. Like you said he is aggressive, he wants to score every single time and he's not intimidated by defenses whether is is a blitz or a disguise coverage he's going to stay aggressive.

Alex Smith, you sack him once or twice he tended to get happy feet and panic far too often. Alex Smith is a 'play it safe' type QB as opposed to Mahomes, Big Ben, Brady or Rodgers who are aggressive. As much as I like Alex Smith he's not the type of QB who is going to lead an offense to score a lot of pts week in week out. With Mahomes the offense is exactly that type of offense.

This offense with our weapons and a more aggressive QB is going to be very hard to stop. You can't double Hill, Kelce and Watson all at once. Someone is going to get a good matchup out of those three. And we still have Hunt out of the backfield along with Conely who I think is a great #3 WR.

To me our biggest weakness on offense is our offensive line but i feel like they played pretty good last game and we can use quick passes to mitigate that. Broncos and teams with a great pass rush are going to be a challenge but as long as Mahomes can get rid of the ball quickly we should be alright.

Anyway, I don't think you could ask for a better beginning for Mahomes/this offense. Hopefully they keep putting a lot of pts on the board every single game. We haven't had an offense like that since the Vermeil years and an offense like that will take the pressure off of our defense who frankly sucks right now.
[Reply]
Page 1010 of 2683
« First < 10510910960100010061007100810091010 101110121013101410201060111015102010 > Last »
Up