ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Thoughts on this PC
Otter 11:39 AM 03-10-2019
Win10 simply isn't working on my 12 year old computer. I've given up on trying to get the two to play nice. It's a fundamental driver issue and as stubborn as I am when it comes to troubleshooting I have nor the time or the patience to start hacking drivers on a decade old PC.

What's your thoughts on the value of this PC:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's ceiling would need to be say, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, MS Office, and 3D CAD.

Nerd thoughts? I'm thinking as long as sold as advertised it's a pretty good deal.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:17 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by Otter:
I've had horrible luck with SSD failures and don't want one unless I'm building or buying a LINUX box where the registry isn't integrated into every little operation. Plus 8g of memory isn't enough for 3D CAD.
I use SSD's in all my non-Windows machines but man have I had problems with Windows 10 and SSD's. :-)
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 12:39 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I use SSD's in all my non-Windows machines but man have I had problems with Windows 10 and SSD's. :-)
All my Windows 10 machines have SSD's and haven't encountered a single issue. I had far greater problems with 7200 rpm drives and raid than i've had with SSD.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 07:42 PM 03-11-2019
No problems with SSD's and Win 10 for me either. Primarily we use Samsung EVO drives.
[Reply]
Fish 09:03 PM 03-11-2019
There was an issue with a hand full of SSD drives and Win10: https://betanews.com/2018/05/24/windows-10-kb4100403/

But it was pretty minor. There's millions of copies of Win10 on SSDs running just fine. I really wouldn't avoid it at this point, you'll be missing quite a bit of performance...
[Reply]
DaFace 10:19 AM 03-12-2019
I'm just amazed that you have a functioning, 12-year-old PC.
[Reply]
Otter 10:40 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm just amazed that you have a functioning, 12-year-old PC.
Assembled it myself from carefully selected NewEgg inventory. It has worked flawlessly up until a month or so ago when it met Win10. I think I've gotten my money's worth and time out of that PC.

Next year during the winter I'm going to build a new system from top to bottom and redo the room from paint to desk. I'm really liking what I'm seeing in the wall mounted curved monitors and where the technology is going in general.

Something like this:

[Reply]
htismaqe 11:14 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
There was an issue with a hand full of SSD drives and Win10: https://betanews.com/2018/05/24/windows-10-kb4100403/

But it was pretty minor. There's millions of copies of Win10 on SSDs running just fine. I really wouldn't avoid it at this point, you'll be missing quite a bit of performance...
Windows Update is one of the buggiest POS I've ever dealt with. Once my kids are gone, I'll be down to just 1 Windows machine I have to support. :-)
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 11:19 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by TrebMaxx:
No problems with SSD's and Win 10 for me either. Primarily we use Samsung EVO drives.
I do as well, and no issues whatsoever.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:25 AM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
I do as well, and no issues whatsoever.
A lot of the laptops I've worked on have had Intel drives. I've not used them on Linux but on Win10, they sucked.
[Reply]
Otter 11:27 AM 03-12-2019
A lot of the laptops I've worked on have had Intel drives. I've not used them on Linux but on Win10, they sucked.
Intel is the same brand I've had all my SSD + Win10 problems.
[Reply]
Fish 12:03 PM 03-12-2019
Windows Update is one of the buggiest POS I've ever dealt with. Once my kids are gone, I'll be down to just 1 Windows machine I have to support. :-)
It was even worse in previous versions....
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:00 PM 03-12-2019
It was even worse in previous versions....
Oh I know. I had Windows 7 machines that I never did get to update. Finally had to update them to Windows 10 just to get it to run. Tried every fix and hack out there.
[Reply]
Fish 03:10 PM 03-12-2019
Oh I know. I had Windows 7 machines that I never did get to update. Finally had to update them to Windows 10 just to get it to run. Tried every fix and hack out there.
Then there was the issue where Microsoft auto pushed out the ~5GB Win10 installer to Win7 machines via Windows Update. Which would leave the machine in a "Installing updates. Please don't power off" state sometimes for hours depending on the network connection. Then pester you every 10 minutes about the free upgrade to v10 that you didn't ask for...
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:31 PM 03-12-2019
Then there was the issue where Microsoft auto pushed out the ~5GB Win10 installer to Win7 machines via Windows Update. Which would leave the machine in a "Installing updates. Please don't power off" state sometimes for hours depending on the network connection. Then pester you every 10 minutes about the free upgrade to v10 that you didn't ask for...
Yeah, I've seen that one. Also saw the one where you run the Windows 10 Media Creation toolkit from within Windows 7 and it hangs at 9% and never progresses beyond that.

However, I'm talking about stuff like trying to apply a hot fix (KB55555 or something similar) and it just fails with a generic hex error - you look it up online and the literal description is "generic installer error". So you run the repair tool, and then apply a hot fix with the offline repair tool, and finally you're editing the registry and removed the WinSXS folder and it still won't run. The database gets corrupted somehow and there's no way to fix it short of reinstalling Windows.

At least Windows 10 will let you refresh the system now without losing all of your data and having to restore from backups.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:24 PM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by Otter:

I've had horrible luck with SSD failures and don't want one unless I'm building or buying a LINUX box where the registry isn't integrated into every little operation. Plus 8g of memory isn't enough for 3D CAD.

This is insanity. SSD is god. Failures are extremely rare. No SSD, no performance.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up