ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Media Center>-- The NOT 'New' movie thread...
Simply Red 05:22 PM 06-11-2018
Post any movie suggestions which are NOT new releases.

Tonight I'm watching End of Watch.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:49 PM 09-02-2018
Two really good Netflix movies on gambling. Mississippi Grind. And "Win it all."

My heart was practically pumping out of my chest watching "Win it all." So uncomfortable to watch, in the best kind of way.
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:39 PM 09-02-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Two really good Netflix movies on gambling. Mississippi Grind. And "Win it all."

My heart was practically pumping out of my chest watching "Win it all." So uncomfortable to watch, in the best kind of way.
there's a good thriller called Calibre I recommend. Movie though - not series
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:21 PM 09-14-2018
Close Your Eyes from 2002 is pretty good and def. different.
[Reply]
Simply Red 03:42 AM 03-09-2019
2nd viewing of The Road tonight - it was 2.7 stars from perfect - I feel like they needed to warm us up to normal family life prior to the apocalypse. Where you at with it? 7.3 stars.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 07:27 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
2nd viewing of The Road tonight - it was 2.7 stars from perfect - I feel like they needed to warm us up to normal family life prior to the apocalypse. Where you at with it? 7.3 stars.
That movie is just too depressing. I like my post apoc movies less realistic and with more 'splosions.
[Reply]
NewChief 08:18 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
They could have done that, but it wouldn't have been true to the source material of the book. And doing that in the book would ruin the entire feel of the book which is made to feel more like a myth/allegory because of the lack of names, background, or really anything beyond "the road" for the father and son.

So yes: it might have made it emotionally more impactful, but it would have "ruined it" for fans of the book and made it an entirely different experience.
[Reply]
In58men 08:22 AM 03-09-2019
Two movies I can watch over and over

Training Day and Life
[Reply]
Miles 08:36 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by NewChief:
They could have done that, but it wouldn't have been true to the source material of the book. And doing that in the book would ruin the entire feel of the book which is made to feel more like a myth/allegory because of the lack of names, background, or really anything beyond "the road" for the father and son.

So yes: it might have made it emotionally more impactful, but it would have "ruined it" for fans of the book and made it an entirely different experience.
That book was pretty great but just crushing. Reminds me I need to read more of McCarthy.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:51 AM 03-09-2019
I always enjoyed the movie Mash but not the TV show. The movie was directed by the late Robert Altman. In 1992 he directed a satirical film about making films. I just showed it last week to a couple of people who never heard of it, and they loved it.

It's got a story with beginning, middle and end but is a sort of slice of life of a studio movie producer and the back stabbing and politics that go on in the movie business. The lead is played by Tim Robbins and he's really good. It's got a murder, it's a mystery, a love interest, and the opening scene is a continuing 8 minute shot with over 30 actors all involved in various activities with the camera constantly moving. It took a lot of planning to pull that opening scene off. There is a huge roster of actors, many are just playing cameo parts to be in this film about films.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105151/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

[Reply]
listopencil 09:11 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
Two movies I can watch over and over

Training Day and Life

You could just go buy a copy of every movie featuring Denzel Washington as the lead (or a major character in it) and watch them. I'm partial to Training Day, Man On Fire, Philadelphia, Fallen, and American Gangster.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:31 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Watched The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. Hadn’t seen it in a decade at least and didn’t remember too much about it. Damn good movie! Really enjoyed it. It’s obviously none you have to dismiss actual reality for, but I’m good with that!
Everybody remembers Michael Douglas for Fatal Attraction, Wall Street and Basic Instinct. In the 90's he made some odd movies which I like just as much, Falling Down is one of those odd movies, it could of been better, probably John Goodman as lead would of been greater, but at least Douglas tried something different. What I really liked in the 90's was the one you liked, The Game and his following movie, The Perfect Murder.

[Reply]
Frazod 11:53 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
That movie is just too depressing. I like my post apoc movies less realistic and with more 'splosions.
Yeah, it was a good movie. But I wish I had never watched it.

And it drove me nuts that nobody knew what happened. Although that didn't infuriate me the way No Country For Old Men did.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:09 PM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
The book is even worse.

I honestly think I'd have just put a bullet in both of our brains if I were in that position.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:57 AM 02-17-2022
watching The Clovehitch Killer tonight. I watched the Messengers last night - I really like Dylan McDermott, underrated actor IMHO.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:06 AM 02-17-2022
Moonstruck 1987 with Cher is actually a great movie. Nicolas Cage rocked this part.

[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up