ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Coaching Question
kcgizmo 01:43 PM 01-16-2021
Heard something the other day concerning Alex Smith. Talking about he would be better off going into coaching. So here is the question, if a team is wanting him for a quarterback coach, and him having two years left on his contract, could a team offer him the position or would it be consider tampering?
[Reply]
Why Not? 01:46 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by kcgizmo:
Heard something the other day concerning Alex Smith. Talking about he would be better off going into coaching. So here is the question, if a team is wanting him for a quarterback coach, and him having two years left on his contract, could a team offer him the position or would it be consider tampering?
I'm sure if he told the WFT he was retiring to pursue a coaching career, they would be cool with it. Hell, they may even offer him a job.
[Reply]
kcgizmo 01:50 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
I'm sure if he told the WFT he was retiring to pursue a coaching career, they would be cool with it. Hell, they may even offer him a job.
Thanks, and very true.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:55 PM 01-16-2021
It would be pretty crazy if Alex became the QB coach eventually replacement for Andy.
[Reply]
MahiMike 01:57 PM 01-16-2021
Good idea.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:03 PM 01-16-2021
Alex Smith has earned $189 million during his career so I seriously doubt he wants to work 12-14 hours per day to make $500k tops while leaving his wife and children at home.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 02:33 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Alex Smith has earned $189 million during his career so I seriously doubt he wants to work 12-14 hours per day to make $500k tops while leaving his wife and children at home.
Depends on his aspirations.

But I'd say that an analyst role or the like would be more likely.
[Reply]
-King- 02:55 PM 01-16-2021
Deion Sanders is coaching HBCU football. Never know what someone might get into after their playing career ends.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:09 PM 01-16-2021
I think Urban Meyer may try to reach out to Alex Smith if he retires regarding a role on his coaching staff in Jacksonville.
[Reply]
Wilson8 03:12 PM 01-16-2021
There haven't been many starting NFL QBs that have decided to get back into the coaching world.

Bart Starr, Jim Zorn, and Jim Harbaugh would be three. None of them made the money that Alex has made.

As Dane said, if you've already made enough money, it would be hard to be away from the family and living life, for the amount of time needed to be an NFL coach.

Side notes - Alex has 3 kids. His degree at Utah was in Economics.

Alex will probably become an NFL analyst or some type of team advisor if he wants to stay around football.
[Reply]
Jamie 03:14 PM 01-16-2021
I actually think he'd be a good coach, but I'd bet money he ends up doing TV after he retires.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:15 PM 01-16-2021
Arthur Smith is the son/heir of Fred Smith, the CEO/Founder of FedEx, worth $3.9 billion and that hasn't stopped him from "toiling" as an assistant coach for the past 10 years or so.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:20 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Deion Sanders is coaching HBCU football. Never know what someone might get into after their playing career ends.
Sanders' children are of legal age while Smith's aren't even close.

Sanders hasn't been married since 2013, so as a single guy with no children "at home", his life is completely different than that of Smith's.

Also, Sanders earned $33 million in his 14 year career, which is quite different than earning $189 million over the same number of years.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 03:26 PM 01-16-2021
Smith has played for a dozen offensive coordinators. He has more offensive knowledge than any coordinator in the league. I'm sure Andy Reid would talk him into it and I'd take him on the Chiefs coaching staff anytime.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:28 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno:
Smith has played for a dozen offensive coordinators. He has more offensive knowledge than any coordinator in the league. I'm sure Andy Reid would talk him into it and I'd take him on the Chiefs coaching staff anytime.
:-)

So, let me get this straight: If you had earned $189 million in your career and was married to a HOT AF wife while raising two children, you'd ignore them to focus on your coaching career?

I guess if Alex doesn't mind giving up half of everything, he would go into coaching.

Otherwise, it's politics or the booth for him and maybe, none of the above.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up