ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Coaching Question
kcgizmo 01:43 PM 01-16-2021
Heard something the other day concerning Alex Smith. Talking about he would be better off going into coaching. So here is the question, if a team is wanting him for a quarterback coach, and him having two years left on his contract, could a team offer him the position or would it be consider tampering?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:29 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
There haven't been many starting NFL QBs that have decided to get back into the coaching world.

Bart Starr, Jim Zorn, and Jim Harbaugh would be three. None of them made the money that Alex has made.

As Dane said, if you've already made enough money, it would be hard to be away from the family and living life, for the amount of time needed to be an NFL coach.

Side notes - Alex has 3 kids. His degree at Utah was in Economics.

Alex will probably become an NFL analyst or some type of team advisor if he wants to stay around football.
I can see him getting in tv. But probably in a limited capacity. Something that doesn’t require alot of his time. Kind of like what Peyton Manning does.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:36 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I can see him getting in tv. But probably in a limited capacity. Something that doesn’t require alot of his time. Kind of like what Peyton Manning does.
Being a Color Commentator for NFL broadcasts is a waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier gig than producing 24 episodes, each of which are at least 22 minutes in length or more, for a network.

There is sooooooo much prep that goes into creating a TV show, in addition to working long hours while shooting and editing.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 03:52 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
:-)

So, let me get this straight: If you had earned $189 million in your career and was married to a HOT AF wife while raising two children, you'd ignore them to focus on your coaching career?

I guess if Alex doesn't mind giving up half of everything, he would go into coaching.

Otherwise, it's politics or the booth for him and maybe, none of the above.

So...you have Alex Smith's future life all planned out for him ? Some people just miss the game.
[Reply]
Lzen 04:04 PM 01-16-2021
You never know what drives a person. Many of us thought Alex should have retired after his leg injury nearly cost him his life. Yet there he was this season, starting at QB for WFT.

As for TV, I don't think Alex would make a good color commentator. Yes, he's very knowledgeable but have you ever heard him talk? He's boring.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:10 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno:
So...you have Alex Smith's future life all planned out for him ? Some people just miss the game.
Please provide a list of NFL football players that have earned in excess of $100 million dollars that became NFL coaches after their playing days were complete.

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
-King- 06:57 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Please provide a list of NFL football players that have earned in excess of $100 million dollars that became NFL coaches after their playing days were complete.

Thanks in advance.
Like Lzen said. He's the same guy who came back to play after having his leg demolished and being close to death dealing with infections and surgeries. I don't know why you keep bringing up money in his situation.
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:09 AM 01-17-2021
Who knows? I suppose Alex could make the choice to go into coaching.

rel="Lightbox"?s=86bb178008aa821aa3552b95166a5572&attachmentid=121873&thumb=1&d=1610870839" class="thumbnail" border="0" alt="Click image for larger version Name: AlexSmithFamily.jpg Views: 54 Size: 104.5 KB ID: 121873" style="margin: 2px" />

rel="Lightbox"?s=86bb178008aa821aa3552b95166a5572&attachmentid=121874&thumb=1&d=1610870865" class="thumbnail" border="0" alt="Click image for larger version Name: FootballCoach.jpg Views: 68 Size: 88.2 KB ID: 121874" style="margin: 2px" />
Attached:
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:26 AM 01-17-2021
Alex Smith almost fucking died. His biggest nightmare was probably leaving his wife and kids behind, not the dying part.

He has more to prove and may continue playing, but when he retires, you think he’s gonna want to leave his family like that? After what he just went through?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up