ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>Man forgets Bitcoin wallet password worth 220 million. Only two guesses left
Deberg_1990 09:04 AM 01-15-2021
https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buz...es-left/707651

Well this would certainly suck.

Stefan Thomas has forgotten his Bitcoin password that will unlock a fortune worth $220 million (Rs 1,800 crore). He has just two attempts left to guess the password.

San Francisco: Ever forgotten your password and after eight desperate attempts left with just two? Stefan Thomas, a German programmer based in San Francisco, cannot remember the password to unlock his Bitcoin fortune worth $220 million (Rs 1,800 crore).

Thomas was given 7,002 bitcoins as payment for making a video explaining how cryptocurrency works over a decade ago. At that time, bitcoins were worth a few dollars. However, their value has surged in the recent months and one Bitcoin is currently worth $34,000.

Thomas had stored the bitcoins in an IronKey digital wallet on a hard drive and written the password on a piece of paper he lost. After 10 failed attempts, the password will encrypt itself and the wallet will be impossible to access. Thomas has just two attempts left.

It has been nine years since he first realised that he was locked out of his account. "There were sort of a couple weeks where I was just desperate, I don't have any other word to describe it. You sort of question your own self-worth. What kind of person loses something that important?" he told ABC7 News.

However, he said, "time heals all wounds," adding that he has "made peace" with his loss.

"It was actually a really big milestone in my life where, like, I sort of realized how I was going to define my self-worth going forward. It wasn't going to be about how much money I have in my bank account," he said.

Thomas would not be the first potential Bitcoin millionaire to be locked out of his account. According to cryptocurrency-data company Chainanalysis, about $140 billion worth of Bitcoin is lost or left in wallets that cannot be accessed.
[Reply]
Straight, No Chaser 10:40 AM 01-16-2021
People tend to cycle passwords. He needs to figure what he was using back then and try it.
[Reply]
loochy 10:48 AM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser:
People tend to cycle passwords. He needs to figure what he was using back then and try it.

The secret seed is a bit more complicated than something like "password1!".

Its not something that can be guessed.
[Reply]
Pablo 12:28 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I don’t understand this stuff. My money is in mattress’s & couches all over the house.
Agreed. Grandpa always told me to keep a spare 220 million tucked into your box springs.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:12 PM 01-16-2021
A man who says he threw away a hard drive loaded with 7,500 bitcoin in 2013 is offering his council $70 million to dig it up from the city dump

https://www.businessinsider.com/man-...d-drive-2021-1
[Reply]
notorious 05:23 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
A man who says he threw away a hard drive loaded with 7,500 bitcoin in 2013 is offering his council $70 million to dig it up from the city dump

They tracked down ET Atari games in a huge landfill, I'm sure they can find that with enough effort.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 05:56 PM 01-16-2021

In the next season of Hoarders, someone will use this story as a reason not to throw out his shit.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 06:20 PM 01-16-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buz...es-left/707651

Well this would certainly suck.

Stefan Thomas has forgotten his Bitcoin password that will unlock a fortune worth $220 million (Rs 1,800 crore). He has just two attempts left to guess the password.

San Francisco: Ever forgotten your password and after eight desperate attempts left with just two? Stefan Thomas, a German programmer based in San Francisco, cannot remember the password to unlock his Bitcoin fortune worth $220 million (Rs 1,800 crore).

Thomas was given 7,002 bitcoins as payment for making a video explaining how cryptocurrency works over a decade ago. At that time, bitcoins were worth a few dollars. However, their value has surged in the recent months and one Bitcoin is currently worth $34,000.

Thomas had stored the bitcoins in an IronKey digital wallet on a hard drive and written the password on a piece of paper he lost. After 10 failed attempts, the password will encrypt itself and the wallet will be impossible to access. Thomas has just two attempts left.

It has been nine years since he first realised that he was locked out of his account. "There were sort of a couple weeks where I was just desperate, I don't have any other word to describe it. You sort of question your own self-worth. What kind of person loses something that important?" he told ABC7 News.

However, he said, "time heals all wounds," adding that he has "made peace" with his loss.

"It was actually a really big milestone in my life where, like, I sort of realized how I was going to define my self-worth going forward. It wasn't going to be about how much money I have in my bank account," he said.

Thomas would not be the first potential Bitcoin millionaire to be locked out of his account. According to cryptocurrency-data company Chainanalysis, about $140 billion worth of Bitcoin is lost or left in wallets that cannot be accessed.

someone I know had like 100 bitcoin when it came out and the HD drive and they couldn't retrieve it.
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:24 PM 01-16-2021

If you read the article you see that this guy has been asking his city council since 2013 if he could look and has been told no and they won't even listen to his offer. Something about environmental hazards. The guy supposedly has an unnamed hedge fund that'll pay for the digging and everything.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 07:47 PM 01-16-2021
He should call Customer Service to reset it.
[Reply]
loochy 12:13 AM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
He should call Customer Service to reset it.
Yeah, let's just call bitcoin.com
[Reply]
J Diddy 12:33 AM 01-17-2021
Password1 ftw
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:01 AM 01-17-2021
I don't know about any of this stuff, but I would imagine the password you have to set up is like super complicated. I remember when MS rolled out Windows Vista (I think) it had an encryption feature with like a 64 character password or some shit. Is this similar to that? If so...that shit is designed not to be remembered let alone hacked.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:58 PM 01-17-2021
Prince
Tego
Wanogho
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:35 PM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
I don't know about any of this stuff, but I would imagine the password you have to set up is like super complicated. I remember when MS rolled out Windows Vista (I think) it had an encryption feature with like a 64 character password or some shit. Is this similar to that? If so...that shit is designed not to be remembered let alone hacked.
I wonder if that was part of the initial plan in the grand scheme of things. First theres a limited number of bitcoin ,second all the passwords have to be so complicated they can't be remembered knowing 20% of all bitcoin will eventually be lost.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up