ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 40
« First < 222829303132 33343536 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:24 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Niang didn't play at Baylor. I like his potential too, but I don't like counting chickens before they're hatched.

You're undervaluing the position.
Oh yeah, TCU. I always get those two confused.

At this point, there is only on place for Niang, which would be at Right Tackle, unless Rankin just blows in the Super Bowl and they decide to try him at the spot.

Otherwise, the Chiefs would be stuck with a couple of Day 2 tackles and no where to play them.

It would be one thing if the Chiefs were flush with money and Cap Space but they're not, so most likely, the Right Tackle position will go to someone already in-house.
[Reply]
O.city 03:26 PM 02-06-2021
I think best thing for us is to just let it play out. We’ll have an idea after free agency and such by the draft what they’re thinking
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:30 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think best thing for us is to just let it play out. We’ll have an idea after free agency and such by the draft what they’re thinking
Well, the fact of the matter is that even if they can negotiate a deal with Fisher to bring his cap number down to Vet Minimum this year while rehabbing, the Chiefs will most likely still be at the cap or just slightly over.

Whomever starts at the tackle positions are most likely already under contract, whether that's Rankin, Niang, Wylie and Wanago or someone drafted on Day 1 or Day 2.

They won't have an extra $15 million lying around to offer a starting LT.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:31 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Oh yeah, TCU. I always get those two confused.

At this point, there is only on place for Niang, which would be at Right Tackle, unless Rankin just blows in the Super Bowl and they decide to try him at the spot.

Otherwise, the Chiefs would be stuck with a couple of Day 2 tackles and no where to play them.

It would be one thing if the Chiefs were flush with money and Cap Space but they're not, so most likely, the Right Tackle position will go to someone already in-house.
dude. When the season opens in 2021, we have ZERO healthy starting Offensive Tackles.

None. Not one.

You want to go into a season with moving back-up interior offensive linemen who haven't played all that well at their normal positions out to OT and just roll with that. And do what, draft WR's? That won't start and will be part time players? When's the last rookie WR that started for Andy Reid? What numbers did they put up? That just makes no sense at all.

If Rankin plays well tomorrow then great. That's best case scenario. Then MAYBE you can make an argument that OT isn't as big of a problem, you can pencil in Niang and sign Remmers or Wylie to swing tackle for you and provide insurance in case he's not up to snuff.

But that's a LOT of ifs, ands, and buts.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:34 PM 02-06-2021
dude. When the season opens in 2021, we have ZERO healthy starting Offensive Tackles.

None. Not one.

You want to go into a season with moving back-up interior offensive linemen who haven't played all that well at their normal positions out to OT and just roll with that. And do what, draft WR's? That won't start and will be part time players? When's the last rookie WR that started for Andy Reid? What numbers did they put up? That just makes no sense at all.

If Rankin plays well tomorrow then great. That's best case scenario. Then MAYBE you can make an argument that OT isn't as big of a problem, you can pencil in Niang and sign Remmers or Wylie to swing tackle for you and provide insurance in case he's not up to snuff.

But that's a LOT of ifs, ands, and buts.
The Chiefs don't have any cap space in order to sign a highly respected veteran and they're not going to be in a position to draft a highly rated Left Tackle without giving up multiple picks.

The only alternative is to either draft a guy early and hope like hell he can start Week 1 or to coach up a guy that's currently under contract.

That's the reality of the situation.
[Reply]
O.city 03:36 PM 02-06-2021
Well, the fact of the matter is that even if they can negotiate a deal with Fisher to bring his cap number down to Vet Minimum this year while rehabbing, the Chiefs will most likely still be at the cap or just slightly over.

Whomever starts at the tackle positions are most likely already under contract, whether that's Rankin, Niang, Wylie and Wanago or someone drafted on Day 1 or Day 2.

They won't have an extra $15 million lying around to offer a starting LT.
I mean more by then we’ll know if they restructure other guys, extend etc and we’ll know what the cap number for sure is.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:39 PM 02-06-2021
The Chiefs don't have any cap space in order to sign a highly respected veteran and they're not going to be in a position to draft a highly rated Left Tackle without giving up multiple picks.

The only alternative is to either draft a guy early and hope like hell he can start Week 1 or to coach up a guy that's currently under contract.

That's the reality of the situation.
Exactly.

Which is why I would advocate drafting a guy early and hope he can start AND coach up a guy currently under contract (like Rankin, Wanogho, and Niang).

And you figure out of those like FOUR guys, you get two guys that are legit starters.

I am intrigued by: Eisenberg, Mayfield, Radunz, and Walker Little just as examples. Any will be there at #32 and a couple will be left at #64. If the mocks are accurate.

It would be a fantastic problem to have too many talented offensive tackles.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:47 PM 02-06-2021
and for the record, I'm advocating taking an OT in the 2nd.

I really think a DE with pass rush skills could make that front 4 a dominant unit. You almost have to do it in the first though.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:53 PM 02-06-2021
Exactly.

Which is why I would advocate drafting a guy early and hope he can start AND coach up a guy currently under contract (like Rankin, Wanogho, and Niang).
I have to disagree. That would be a terrible plan.

The Chiefs can't waste valuable resources with the "hope" that the draftee would be an adequate Left Tackle on a team that's hoping to become a dynasty.

Hell, even Fisher, who was drafted #1 overall, wasn't ready to start at left tackle his rookie season and was nothing short of a disaster at Right Tackle.

Reid greatly prefers experience but since they don't have any cap space, it's most likely going to be someone who's already on the roster.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:26 PM 02-06-2021
This doesn't look or sound like a guy who is intending to retire:

Eric Fisher has also made the trip to Tampa. pic.twitter.com/9UCgSBAMCb

— Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) February 6, 2021

[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:30 PM 02-06-2021
This doesn't look or sound like a guy who is intending to retire:

I expect not. He's a warrior. So is Schwartz.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:34 PM 02-06-2021
I have to disagree. That would be a terrible plan.

The Chiefs can't waste valuable resources with the "hope" that the draftee would be an adequate Left Tackle on a team that's hoping to become a dynasty.

Hell, even Fisher, who was drafted #1 overall, wasn't ready to start at left tackle his rookie season and was nothing short of a disaster at Right Tackle.

Reid greatly prefers experience but since they don't have any cap space, it's most likely going to be someone who's already on the roster.
by that logic, don't ever draft anybody ever. We have holes, we have question marks for everyday starting positions in 2021. We have limited cap dollars. You don't just hope they fill themselves.

We won't be short of offensive weapons for at least 3 years. Hill, Hardman, Clyde-all young. Kelce probably has 3 years before he slows down I'd guess. Why are we going to worry about restocking weapons when we're full? Why would we not address real problem areas? I just don't agree at all with your logic.

And I'm saying I want a plus DE in this draft. That's round 1 possibly 2 but probably no later.

OT's don't grow on trees, and Reid has shown throughout his career that he values them. OG's they'll coach up late picks and UDFA's, but OT's are premium.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:42 PM 02-06-2021
by that logic, don't ever draft anybody ever. We have holes, we have question marks for everyday starting positions in 2021. We have limited cap dollars. You don't just hope they fill themselves.

We won't be short of offensive weapons for at least 3 years. Hill, Hardman, Clyde-all young. Kelce probably has 3 years before he slows down I'd guess. Why are we going to worry about restocking weapons when we're full? Why would we not address real problem areas? I just don't agree at all with your logic.

And I'm saying I want a plus DE in this draft. That's round 1 possibly 2 but probably no later.

OT's don't grow on trees, and Reid has shown throughout his career that he values them. OG's they'll coach up late picks and UDFA's, but OT's are premium.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I basically disagree with nearly every post you've made on this subject.

If they're at a "Premium" as you state, why did Cam Erving start 8 games in 2019?

After the Chiefs released him, all he could muster was a Vet Minimum contract with the Cowboys.

And good grief, the Chiefs won games with Jah Reid at tackle.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:51 PM 02-06-2021
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I basically disagree with nearly every post you've made on this subject.

If they're at a "Premium" as you state, why did Cam Erving start 8 games in 2019?

After the Chiefs released him, all he could muster was a Vet Minimum contract with the Cowboys.

And good grief, the Chiefs won games with Jah Reid at tackle.
Dude. Erving was a backup.

I feel like your arguments aren't even honest.

Eric Fisher #1 overall. Mitchell Schwartz 2nd round pick, nice fat contract.

We were willing to dedicate significant resources to the position at both ends of the line.

We'll see what Veach does, but I seriously doubt he does nothing, which is what you're saying.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:54 PM 02-06-2021
The Chiefs have won plenty of football games since Reid arrived with such run of the mill tackles as Brandon Albert, Donald Stephenson, Jah Reid, Cam Erving, Mike Remmers, Bryan Witzmann and even Yasir Durant.

Reid just schemes around any deficiency.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 40
« First < 222829303132 33343536 > Last »
Up