ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Media Center>Build or prebuilt PC for my needs
The Franchise 12:13 PM 06-01-2020
I couldn’t find the “Build Your Own PC” thread, so I figured I’d create my own.

Haven’t had a gaming PC in a long time. I mostly play PS4. I’m looking into getting a desktop PC that can handle gaming (both on a monitor and a TV), Photoshop and Illustrator and then as a media PC that I can play movies. I’m looking into burning all of my DVDs to a hard drive so that I can play them in my media room or downstairs on my main TV.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Should I go prebuilt or build my own? Keep in mind that I’ve never built my own.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:05 AM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I’m looking to use my computer for gaming, photoshop/illustrator work and then possibly as a media center hub. I may or may not be looking into burning my DVDs to watch later.
Others may disagree but I prefer a portable USB DVD burner, which are less than $30 dollars, as I'd prefer to use my drive bays for hard drives.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...s%2C200&sr=8-5
[Reply]
Pants 11:05 AM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Pro audio and video are a completely different animal, unfortunately.
You're the expert in this field so no one can even argue with this. However, I do not think that's the goal for this build.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:07 AM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
You're the expert in this field so no one can even argue with this. However, I do not think that's the goal for this build.
Yeah, I think most of my recommendations do not apply but I don't mind offering, just in case something becomes useful.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:09 AM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Others may disagree but I prefer a portable USB DVD burner, which are less than $30 dollars, as I'd prefer to use my drive bays for hard drives.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...s%2C200&sr=8-5
I’ll probably just end up getting a portable blu ray burner because I have blu rays I’ll need to rip.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:10 AM 06-03-2020
I should just have everyone send me their final builds like it’s a ****ing reality show.
This is what I would do based on what you were looking at.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dDC6b8

Some of the parts you had selected were out of stock like the PSU and case.

Dropped the RAM speed just a notch because unlike 1st gen Ryzen which was really picky about the type and speed of the RAM, the 3000 series isnt as much and from what research I did the sweet spot was in the 3000-3200 range and everything higher started to see diminishing returns. But it's only like $12 savings so do what you want.

The motherboard is "expected to be in stock" June 16th according to B&H. If you dont want to wait that long then the next 2 best X570 boards are the ASUS TUF Wifi or the Gigabyte Aorus Elite for around the same price, possibly lower.

Spent a little more on a 1TB NVMe. The speeds on SSDs increase with the size of the drive and Samsungs are really overpriced. Not a big fan of HP products but it uses the same components as many other top rated SDDs with the exact same performance ratings so it's more than likely coming off the same damn assembly line with a different sticker on it. (It's only at that price for another 13 hours)

Upgraded the CPU cooler, but its out of stock unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount on it from a random seller on Amazon. The CPU will come with one that will work fine out of the box and you can upgrade to something better down the line if you choose to.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:14 AM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Upgraded the CPU cooler, but its out of stock unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount on it from a random seller on Amazon.
When it comes to computer parts and electronics of any kind, I always purchase directly from Amazon because returns are super easy and replacements arrive very quickly.

In my experience, they're not so easy when it comes to 3rd party seller Amazon returns, nor have they ever been quick.

All they've been in a pain in the ass.
[Reply]
Pants 11:27 AM 06-03-2020
This is what I would do based on what you were looking at.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dDC6b8

Some of the parts you had selected were out of stock like the PSU and case.

Dropped the RAM speed just a notch because unlike 1st gen Ryzen which was really picky about the type and speed of the RAM, the 3000 series isnt as much and from what research I did the sweet spot was in the 3000-3200 range and everything higher started to see diminishing returns. But it's only like $12 savings so do what you want.

The motherboard is "expected to be in stock" June 16th according to B&H. If you dont want to wait that long then the next 2 best X570 boards are the ASUS TUF Wifi or the Gigabyte Aorus Elite for around the same price, possibly lower.

Spent a little more on a 1TB NVMe. The speeds on SSDs increase with the size of the drive and Samsungs are really overpriced. Not a big fan of HP products but it uses the same components as many other top rated SDDs with the exact same performance ratings so it's more than likely coming off the same damn assembly line with a different sticker on it. (It's only at that price for another 13 hours)

Upgraded the CPU cooler, but its out of stock unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount on it from a random seller on Amazon. The CPU will come with one that will work fine out of the box and you can upgrade to something better down the line if you choose to.
If he's not OCing, does he need that mobo? Also, the PS is semi-modular. And I agree with you, if he's not OCing, he can probably use the stock AMD cooler.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:29 AM 06-03-2020
If he's not OCing, does he need that mobo? Also, the PS is semi-modular. And I agree with you, if he's not OCing, he can probably use the stock AMD cooler.
Doesnt need the mobo, but B550 is still not out (Releasing June 16, but who knows what the boards look like and how many will be ready at launch) and I wouldn't recommend putting a Ryzen 7 in a previous gen B450 motherboard.
[Reply]
Pants 11:32 AM 06-03-2020
Doesnt need the mobo, but B550 is still not out (Releasing June 16, but who knows what the boards look like and how many will be ready at launch) and I wouldn't recommend putting a Ryzen 7 in a previous gen B450 motherboard.
Ahhh. Makes sense. Could he get away with a Ryzen 5 3600X or do you think it will bottleneck his FPS in games?
[Reply]
jd1020 11:34 AM 06-03-2020
Ahhh. Makes sense. Could he get away with a Ryzen 5 3600X or do you think it will bottleneck his FPS in games?
There's no chance he'll be bottlenecked by going to a 3600X.

You have to go to serious extremes to bottleneck like pairing a 2080ti with a Ryzen 3 APU.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:36 AM 06-03-2020
Also I’m going to be using WiFi for this since my router is downstairs and I’m not running wire though my house (for right now at least).
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:37 AM 06-03-2020

You have to go to serious extremes to bottleneck like pairing a 2080ti with a Ryzen 3 APU.
So I could go with the 3600x and the B450 motherboard and be fine?
[Reply]
Pants 11:38 AM 06-03-2020

So Pest, would you want to go the 3600X route and save a couple of bucks? You will probably still get the same FPS at the same settings with that 2070 Super. And that's really all that matters when it comes to gaming. What FPS can you get on what settings. :-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:38 AM 06-03-2020
So Pest, would you want to go the 3600X route and save a couple of bucks? You will probably still get the same FPS at the same settings with that 2070 Super. And that's really all that matters when it comes to gaming. What FPS can you get on what settings. :-)
I’m open to whatever works, man. Lol

I’m not tied to anything one way or another.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:41 AM 06-03-2020
So I could go with the 3600x and the B450 motherboard and be fine?
Ya. Although if you wanted to go with a B board I would wait for the B550's to launch on June 16th and see what it's all about.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up