ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sleep apnea
tatorhog 02:14 PM 02-24-2020
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:39 PM 02-24-2020
I use a CPAP machine every night and I love it. You feel incredible each and every morning. Mine is this...

I use the face mask and there is a ton of flexibility when tossing or turning in the night. I love it.
[Reply]
seclark 07:41 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:
I use a CPAP machine every night and I love it. You feel incredible each and every morning. Mine is this...

I use the face mask and there is a ton of flexibility when tossing or turning in the night. I love it.
This
Plus you can even screw the old lady an extra few minutes if you crank it up to 10
sec
[Reply]
Frazod 07:46 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
Seems pricey for what it is, but maybe it works well?
That was just the first option I saw.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:54 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
This
Plus you can even screw the old lady an extra few minutes if you crank it up to 10
sec
Actually she LOVES the Darth Vader voice she receives while receiving it!:-)

"Come to me my love"
[Reply]
seclark 08:08 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Actually she LOVES the Darth Vader voice she receives while receiving it!:-)

"Come to me my love"
The Vader voice is a fact
sec
[Reply]
007 08:12 PM 02-24-2020
Unfortunately I'm a stomach sleeper. Still kills me what they charge for sleep studies when insurance won't cover them.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:25 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
Nope. Obesity can make it worse, but even skinny people can have sleep apnea.
While skinny people can absolutely have sleep apnea, the most common cause IS obesity. Being over-weight is heavily correlated with sleep apnea. I'd bet 75%+ in this thread with sleep apnea are overweight.
[Reply]
Holladay 08:32 PM 02-24-2020
Cortisol is a bitch. "Fight or Flight" stresser. Your body stops getting O2 and the brain kicks in the cortisol. Bad. Weight gain, high blood pressure, diabetes,

Originally Posted by :
Does sleep apnea raise cortisol?
CPAP withdrawal also increased free fatty acids, glucose, cortisol, and blood pressure during sleep. The more severe the OSA, the higher those readings increased. Glucose levels increased the most in patients with diabetes. Increases in fatty acids, glucose, and cortisol have all been linked to diabetes.Sep 6, 2017
Originally Posted by :
Sleep apnea, left untreated for even a few days, can increase blood sugar and fat levels, stress hormones and blood pressure, according to a new study of sleeping subjects. A report of the study’s findings, published in the August issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, adds further support for the consistent use of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), a machine that increases air pressure in the throat to keep the airway open during sleep.
After I started using the resmed cpap, I no longer needed naps during the day. Before, I would sleep for 12 hours, then have to take a nap 4 hours later. I was tired all the time. No more. If I nap, it is because I want to, not because I have to.

As to masks etc. I use this:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/ef3...0&odnBg=ffffff

It has a pivot point at the crown of your head, thus you can roll all night and still work. It is nose breather only. I thought I was a mouth breather because that was what I did with SA thus snored through my mouth. So I did a mask at first. Pain in the ass and couldn't roll over very well. Months later I tried the pillow and love it.

The first few nights, it was hard to get used to a hurricane blowing up my nose. I persevered, after a few nights, I got use to it. Now I won't go anywhere with out it.

SoClean is the cleaner I use. I tried washing 3x /week...too much of a hassle and unreliable. With SoClean, just drop it in and forget. It is the #1 recommended cleaner. It is a bit pricey though..~$200. I tired to find Big Red Chiefs model, I couldn't find it. They are both Ozone cleaners.

As to traveling, if I don't have my SoClean, I don't worry about it. If I was going to travel for +2 weeks, I would find something. A long weekend, no bigge. You do have to remember that with the SoClean there is a different top part on the resmed where you put in the water. It has a hose attachment portal. So replace the top with the original no portal flap or it won't work (been there, done that). Pack a small bottle of distilled water to refill the machine.

The CPap was a life saving (sleep saving) item. I can't remember the test results per se, but it was obscene. Something like stopped breathing 90 x in an hour. I am 55 at 190 lbs, of course, mostly muscle :-) ex-military, eat relatively health (a big mac once/month) and my hopes are that if I can drop 20-30 lbs, I won't need it anymore.

The results: sleep much better and rested, front end cost a little high (resmed machine was covered under insurance and I owned after 3 months MONITORED by the internet to ensure I was using it), Soclean ~ $200, pillow ~$75. I was hoping that there would be SOME weight loss due to lack of cortisol levels, but alas nope. I need to exercise more...of course.

Good luck
[Reply]
cwhocares 08:38 PM 02-24-2020
I did the pne at home and then I had to do the over night one at a sleep center. (No they will not let you bring your wife or girl friend. For those asking for a friend) My sleep interruptions averaged 47 per hour. Before, I was always tired and drug out. If I drove a car more than 30 minutes I would start falling asleep at the wheel. I got my CPAP and I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go. It takes a few week to get used to it but it is worth it. I highly recommend it. You can PM me if you need more information.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:04 PM 02-24-2020
Get a SoClean machine as well. You must clean it everyday otherwise within a short amount of time you will come down with the nastiest sinus infection ever. Before SoClean came out you would have to wash your mask, hose and water reservoir everyday and it was a pain in the ass BUT after you experienced a few sinus infections you did it. Now with SoClean it is a breeze. Well worth the $$.
[Reply]
Holladay 09:25 PM 02-24-2020
I found BRC portable cleaner...I just ordered one.

Originally Posted by :
you can get a ozone generator off Amazon for $50. Weighs about 1lb. USB recharging. Run it once a week. Kills 99.99% of germs. Don’t be using brushes and water in the tubes . Connect the hose/mask push a button. Piece of cake.

CPAP Cleaner Portable Cleaning Machine Tubes Masks Clean with Cleaning Bag and Universal Adapter Fit with Heated Hose Airmini - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SW3FRG5..._8LevEb32SMHA7

[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:27 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Holladay:

I used the nasal pillow, as well. I couldn't keep a mask sealed worth a shit, even without a Grizzly Adams beard.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:30 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I used the nasal pillow, as well. I couldn't keep a mask sealed worth a shit, even without a Grizzly Adams beard.
nasal pillows is the bomb. Way easier to get the seal. You learn to breathe through your nose pretty quick.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:36 PM 02-24-2020
I found BRC portable cleaner...I just ordered one.
No one should be cleaning their tubes, masks etc. with water, soap or brushes. All that work? **** that. Also, that water you leave behind is a potential bacteria infested breeding ground. Just stop it. Get an ozone generator and push a button instead.
[Reply]
tatorhog 09:41 PM 02-24-2020
Cortisol is a bitch. "Fight or Flight" stresser. Your body stops getting O2 and the brain kicks in the cortisol. Bad. Weight gain, high blood pressure, diabetes,

After I started using the resmed cpap, I no longer needed naps during the day. Before, I would sleep for 12 hours, then have to take a nap 4 hours later. I was tired all the time. No more. If I nap, it is because I want to, not because I have to.

It has a pivot point at the crown of your head, thus you can roll all night and still work. It is nose breather only. I thought I was a mouth breather because that was what I did with SA thus snored through my mouth. So I did a mask at first. Pain in the ass and couldn't roll over very well. Months later I tried the pillow and love it.

The first few nights, it was hard to get used to a hurricane blowing up my nose. I persevered, after a few nights, I got use to it. Now I won't go anywhere with out it.

SoClean is the cleaner I use. I tried washing 3x /week...too much of a hassle and unreliable. With SoClean, just drop it in and forget. It is the #1 recommended cleaner. It is a bit pricey though..~$200. I tired to find Big Red Chiefs model, I couldn't find it. They are both Ozone cleaners.

As to traveling, if I don't have my SoClean, I don't worry about it. If I was going to travel for +2 weeks, I would find something. A long weekend, no bigge. You do have to remember that with the SoClean there is a different top part on the resmed where you put in the water. It has a hose attachment portal. So replace the top with the original no portal flap or it won't work (been there, done that). Pack a small bottle of distilled water to refill the machine.

The CPap was a life saving (sleep saving) item. I can't remember the test results per se, but it was obscene. Something like stopped breathing 90 x in an hour. I am 55 at 190 lbs, of course, mostly muscle :-) ex-military, eat relatively health (a big mac once/month) and my hopes are that if I can drop 20-30 lbs, I won't need it anymore.

The results: sleep much better and rested, front end cost a little high (resmed machine was covered under insurance and I owned after 3 months MONITORED by the internet to ensure I was using it), Soclean ~ $200, pillow ~$75. I was hoping that there would be SOME weight loss due to lack of cortisol levels, but alas nope. I need to exercise more...of course.

Good luck
Good info, thanks.

Guess I値l see what the pulmo at Cotton O誰eil says in a few weeks. Hopefully they can get me dialed in quickly and efficiently. Kinda wish I could get in sooner, I知 ready to not be tired by 7pm.

My BP and weight have crept up. I知 about 275 right now but most people would never guess. When I知 under 235 I look pretty skinny. So my hope is, I get a little more rest and maybe I値l be more ready to go, exercise-wise. If I don稚, I知 afraid my 6 yr old may kill me some day. Lol

I think I致e seen enough about the SoClean device to definitely grab it once I get set up with a machine.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up