ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Sleep apnea
tatorhog 02:14 PM 02-24-2020
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:11 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Hmm, I'll have to look, but even the link you sent on Amazon only has the one adapter. Here's what it looks like taped together, and the other pic is the end of the hose that goes into the CPAP...in order to clean the mask with this, the goofy end would have to go into the cleaner, which it clearly does not. Hence the tape job.
Maybe I already had an adapter in my pile of supplies? Don't remember. But, cpap sells every plastic adapter you'd ever need.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 10:31 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Maybe I already had an adapter in my pile of supplies? Don't remember. But, cpap sells every plastic adapter you'd ever need.
I might just run to Lowes and get a short length of hose to connect the two.
[Reply]
LuchyGames 09:42 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
I finally found a mask that worked for me (a nasal pillow) and it makes a huge difference. Plus, the wife is happier because I don't snore when I keep it on. So my main advice is to keep trying masks 'til you get one that works for you instead of just assuming that you can't sleep with a mask on.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:36 PM 03-04-2020
To solve my problem, I just cut the end off of an old hose and use that to connect the mask hose to the cleaner. Works great.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:02 AM 03-06-2020
Re: stomach sleep

I was a hardcore stomach sleeper before I got the CPAP. My sleep doctor said this was likely due to me trying to find a position where my apnea was less of an issue.

Once I got the CPAP and started sleeping for real, I converted to side sleep with little issue at all.

Re: mask that fits...

If you do a sleep study, they will generally let you try on a few different masks until you feel comfortable. I landed on the nasal pillow pretty quickly.

Only issue I’ve ever had with it is if I’m sick enough that my nose is stuffed. A GOOD decongestant and the CPap blowing full blast is pretty much the only path forward there.

For those looking for a cleaner and worried about connecting the hose to the ozone cleaner effectively, look into the lumin UV cleaner. That’s what I have. It’s pricey, but it sanitizes with Uv light (allowing you to sanitize other things, like toothbrushes, etc). They also make a stand-alone thing called The Bullet that is a uv cleaner just for hoses. It’s slick and easy to use - 3 min of cleaning time every 3-4 days.
[Reply]
Hoover 09:33 AM 03-06-2020
So I have sleep apnea - and let me tell you a CPAP can be live changing.

Last spring I lost a little weight was feeling good, then like a dumb ass I stopped using the thing. I thought I was sleeping well, but I was not.

Its been a tough winter, wife lost her job, under a tone of stress, thus some of my bad eating habits and drinking habits resurfaced. I woke up one morning a couple weeks ago at like 4 am, felt like shit, couldn't sleep, knew I was in trouble. So the next night I got my machine back out, had all new hoses, tanks, and masks in the box, hooked it all up and got more than six hours of mask time that first night. In less than two weeks I can notice a huge difference, I'm starting to feel rested again, blood pressure has normalized, and I'm not head bobbing in meetings any more.

I urge everyone to get tested. Everyone needs their sleep.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:09 PM 07-17-2020
Changed to a smaller mask. Less leaks. Fits better. Does not get pushed off my face by my pillow.

One of the threads I talked about the noise coming from my machine/

Sent it in a second time. Resmed lost it. So I got a new one for free.
[Reply]
Tribesman 12:09 AM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by LuchyGames:
I finally found a mask that worked for me (a nasal pillow) and it makes a huge difference. Plus, the wife is happier because I don't snore when I keep it on. So my main advice is to keep trying masks 'til you get one that works for you instead of just assuming that you can't sleep with a mask on.
The nasal pillows was the first one I tried. I didn't like it at all. 2 issues I had:
1. I could not get a good exhale, even with the pressure ramped down as far as they would set it.
2. The gush of air sound whenever I opened my mouth was very annoying and kept me up.

I liked the fighter pilot mask the best, but the problem I had with that one is the moist air tickles my nostril. I always had the urge to take the mask off to scratch. None of the attachments I've tried have I been able to fall asleep, even with sedatives. I finally gave up. VERY frustrating. I now sleep on my side to reduce some of my snoring. But, now I'm having heart spasms that may or may not be related to the sleep apnea.
[Reply]
tx4chiefs 12:56 AM 07-18-2020
Everyone that gets tested gets a CPAP. I think everyone has it to some degree, but some have it really bad.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:39 AM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by tx4chiefs:
Everyone that gets tested gets a CPAP. I think everyone has it to some degree, but some have it really bad.
Heh. Every year I go hunting with 2 buddies and we all sleep in a hotel room using the couches or rollout beds or the bed, depending on who calls what when we check in. One of my buddies used to snore, stop breathing, start choking etc. and wake the other two of us up. Ironically, I was the first to get CPAP and recommended it to him. Now, we both have cpap and it's quiet as a mouse when we go hunting. The other buddy does not snore, so has not bothered getting a sleep study. But I'd be it would just help him to sleep better too.

It just helps you to breath better, and I honestly cannot imagine going without it. If the zombie apocalypse happens, I'm screwed!
[Reply]
007 02:47 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by tx4chiefs:

Is like to know why a sleep study is needed before you can try one.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:55 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
A sleep study is required so that the technicians know how to set your machine, as the amount of air necessary to oxygenate internal organs varies from person to person.

The study also examines the number of apnea events per minute while sleeping (i.e. the number times your heart stops beating), which also factors into their equation.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:58 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
There is about 10% that came in to tests with me that were complaining about being tired all the time, wife complaining about snoring etc. but, no sleep apnea.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:01 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A sleep study is required so that the technicians know how to set your machine, as the amount of air necessary to oxygenate internal organs varies from person to person.

The study also examines the number of apnea events (i.e.,the times your heart stops beating) per minute while sleeping, which also factors into their equation.
It's crucial. You cant set or change it at home. We are creating pressure inside your lungs that could easily be damaged. The minimum must be used to keep your airway open.

You cant just use your aunts old machine and try to save some money.:-)
[Reply]
007 03:04 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
There is about 10% that came in to tests with me that were complaining about being tired all the time, wife complaining about snoring etc. but, no sleep apnea.

Pretty sure I need one but I can't justify the expense. My insurance doesn't cover it. The other problem is finding out of you will be able to handle having it strapped on your face all night. It's a lot of money to throw down and then find out you can't do it.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Up